U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-More left leaning

If you can live in a city with political diversity that averages out slightly right of center you could consider Knoxville, TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 3,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If you can live in a city with political diversity that averages out slightly right of center you could consider Knoxville, TN.
That would be a lovely city to consider due to it's proximity to one of the best parks in the world. We don't mind right of center in theory, especially for a city of that size where there would be plenty of different types of people to socialize with. Our greatest concern is that our neighbors respect our family. I don't mean to just be polite to us, but acknowledge that we exist as a family unit, with two women who are married with kids. A black family does not want to send their children to a school that has the n word littered all over the place. We don't want our children living somewhere that anti-LGBT rhetoric is common. I'm sure they'd encounter it wherever we choose to live, but our goal is to find a place where our neighbors would stick up for us if that happens (just as we'd defend them if they were attacked in some way).

So to sum up, it depends and I'm enjoying investigating Knoxville as a potential location. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
We don't want our children living somewhere that anti-LGBT rhetoric is common.
Such rhetoric is not common, though I can't guarantee you'd never encounter a bigot. As for schools, I think you'd want to choose carefully which ones are more likely to be open minded. Schools with an active gay straight alliance for example. There are several gay families at my church that have been here for years - hasn't driven anyone away that I know of.* But maybe they aren't expecting to live in a bubble.

Quote:
our goal is to find a place where our neighbors would stick up for us if that happens
Some would, some wouldn't. It's hard to explain the Appalachian mindset. My sense is there would be acceptance as long as you didn't make a big deal out of it. Obviously you can't hide that you are a gay household but if you walked up to your neighbors and said I'm ______ and we're gay, that would seem weird. Accepting rather than embracing in some cases.

* no wait, it may have driven one couple away, though there could have been job factors.

Since you are renting and it sounds like the kids aren't in school yet - a couple years isn't that big of a commitment.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM

I thought about an analogy while hiking in the smokies.

You are maybe about as likely to encounter a bigot as one is likely to encounter a bear in the park. For some people this is very troubling and a reason to avoid the park. So it helps to examine your feelings.

There maybe the option of hiking well traveled trails where the likelihood is less.

Sometimes there can be bears nearby and they don't make their presence known.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 3,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I thought about an analogy while hiking in the smokies.

You are maybe about as likely to encounter a bigot as one is likely to encounter a bear in the park. For some people this is very troubling and a reason to avoid the park. So it helps to examine your feelings.

There maybe the option of hiking well traveled trails where the likelihood is less.

Sometimes there can be bears nearby and they don't make their presence known.
That's a really good analogy and probably fits our outlook perfectly. To use the analogy to explain how we see things on where we choose to live: We're ok with bears existing and we keep tools handy in case we cross paths with one. However, if bears are constantly attacking unprovoked, we probably don't want to go hike those trails. In addition, if we do run into a bear on the path and someone is nearby, we'd hope that they would assist in some way to escape the bear attack.

Were we are right now in life is that we are not willing to pretend like we aren't married with children, unless it's an extreme and isolated unsafe situation. We 'flaunt' our lives in the same way others do. We introduce one another as wife/spouse, our children call both of us mom/mama/mommy/mother, if other couples are holding hands in public we probably will as well, etc.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
^If you could go up a little bit, Ithaca NY may be another place to consider. Same with Amherst/Northampton MA.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM

As you probably already know, black bears rarely attack as they are scared of you. They will just run away and not befriend you!

In the extremely unlikely event a bear or a bigot physically attacked you, oh my you would get a lot of sympathy. And assistance if someone were nearby. If you told a random stranger that a bear grunted at you the reply might be "unhunh".

Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Mobile, Alabama.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I can suggest a couple of under the radar options that fulfill your criteria pretty thoroughly with under $1000 a month options in desirable established neighborhoods. Winston Salem NC and Columbia SC both offer the diversity, LGBT/family friendliness, are left leaning politically, have substantial outdoor recreation offerings, reasonable airport accessibility, beautifully wooded settings with subtle elevation change (rolling hills) and largely good schools.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...89_rect/11_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...01_rect/12_zm/
I would recommend neither Winston-Salem nor Columbia. LGBT policy is largely set at the State level and both North Carolina and South Carolina are rabidly anti-gay at the State Government level (though NC now has Roy Cooper as a roadblack to further GOP legalized anti-gay discrimination measures).

Old 02-27-2017, 09:30 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartiallyOld View Post
For the next few years I will be working remotely and so my family can live anywhere. We have created some tentative financial goals. To meet those goals, we are interested in considering a move to places where we could easily find 3 bedroom homes with a yard for a max rent of $1k in average neighborhoods. What cities or towns should we focus on? Is this even possible? We really can go anywhere (within the US).

Things that are pluses but not requirements:
-Diverse and LGBT friendly
-If a small town, easy access to a larger town or city
-Family friendly (more focus on parks and less on night life)
-More left leaning
-Access to lots of outdoor activities like hiking trails and camping spots
-Reasonable distance to an airport (Within two hours)
-Mountains, hills and forests over beaches or deserts
-Good schools, though not a priority for at least several more years and only assuming we love the area enough to settle for good.

At this time we aren't factoring in employment criteria due to my own work and my wife has skills that translate to wherever (medical field).

Thanks!
I would look into both Blacksburg and Charlottesville. Both are diverse, LGBT friendly college towns with family vibes, TONS of nature and mountains, hills and forests. And you can't beat having access to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Appalachian Trail, Shenandoah National Park, Monticello Wine Trail, waterfalls, caves, etc. Roanoke is another great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.