U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You're putting your head in the sand then. Who do you think is paying for this? You realize the vast majority of them are coming out. Who is paying if they are unemployable for life because they got busted with a little pot or some other non-violent crime? In the end if we all pay, for ruining people's lives over nothing. All drug users to me, jail is a waste of our money...if they are addicts, I'd rather spend my tax money getting them help then throwing them in jail for no other reason then to line the pockets of private prison industry and protect massive numbers of government jobs.

You understand that when prisons have too many people, they have to let criminals out early to make room? You realize a rapist may be released after 3 years of a 12 year sentence because they need room? this happens ALL the time. I think your desire to feel morally superior is clouding your common sense. "Lock em; up!!" may sound tough and feel satisfying, but the actual data shows little actual benefit to society to locking up non-violent offenders.
The poster said he/she doesn't know anyone who cares about "over crowding in prisons," not that what is happening with the prison system is good or bad. I mean, unless your point was to say you care, therefore the poster does know someone who cares, but people usually don't count people on the Internet (since they really can be anyone saying anything).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2017, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Inland FL
1,246 posts, read 716,998 times
Reputation: 2179
Because the jails need people locked up to get more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
992 posts, read 576,934 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We should let Bernie Madoff go free?
Sure. I'd much rather have him pay a very large fine and do a ton of community service, rather than be locked up. It's not like anybody is better off with him locked up, whereas everybody would be better off with him paying reparations. A desire for revenge or "just desserts" is not a legitimate reason to spend money on locking somebody up. Nobody is better off with him locked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 03:54 PM
 
7,568 posts, read 2,219,660 times
Reputation: 9128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This isn't even a great debate...it's because the private prison industry is enormously profitable, and their lobbyists quite influential. There is a LOT of money to be made by putting people in jail (and we pay for it, financially and socially)
Because private prisons are a for-profit enterprise that cut deals with the government who guarantees a 90% fill rate. So they need stupid laws to ensure the prisons are at 90% capacity.

Look it up, it's true. There was a college in Florida, FAU, I think , that was going to get a few million dollars to help build their stadium. The company was GEO, a prison building company. The students went bezerk and protested, and the company was not permitted to donate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,630 posts, read 2,778,980 times
Reputation: 2978
Philly use to arrest about 5k people a year for pot. Since decriminalization, the city has been saving about $9 million a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Long Neck , DE
4,903 posts, read 3,029,874 times
Reputation: 8025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J. Reilly View Post
I'm not sure who is complaining about overcrowded prisons other than the prisoners. No person I know is losing any sleep on the subject.
In Delaware the prison staff is complaining about the overcrowding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
 
68 posts, read 62,037 times
Reputation: 87
Because the people complaining about mass-incarceration are not the ones DOING the mass-incarceration. Typically it's middle and lower/working class that complain about it, be its' our neighbors, kids, relatives or ourselves who get thrown in the slammer for something a higher income person could have gotten off scot-free for. I think in the coming years more and more people will realize they hold beliefs that are helping to enable the system of mass-incarceration. Such as otherwise non-political people being fervently pro-police. How could it be a bad thing to support police? Well, it's not in and of itself, but when you look closer you realize that many police would be out of a job if we canceled the war on drugs and stopped prosecuting people for being homeless, poor, driving a crappy car, etc.

Basically the division on the issue of mass-incarceration is just another example of the growing inequality in the United States. On the one had you have your business leaders, politicians and other who make upwards of $250,000. On the other you have middle class and working class and the academics. Many academic institutions publish research that would be beneficial in shifting policy to be more fair and equitable, but half the middle and working classes have been brainwashed into voting republican because they are the only party who uses slogans like "freedom" and "liberty" and "smaller government". People don't realize they are the party of the modern drug war, and of mass-incarceration and private prison kickbacks. Not to say the Democratic party is perfect, there are PLENTY of bought-and-paid-for Dems in every state who would sell out their constituents to big business in a heartbeat. Bill Clinton even signed major legislation that drastically increased the prison population. The main difference between the parties is that you just don't find the social justice advocates on the right at all. They are almost exclusive to the left, and if they had to pick a major party to identify with it would be Democrat over Republican 9 times out of 10.

The other issue that stagnates progress is our political system itself - the two parties have a monopoly on media and fundraising. This makes it VERY difficult to combat corruption by voting out corrupt leaders. For example, the majority of US citizens consider themselves Independent (presumably because they are not happy enough with either major party to affiliate with them), yet time and time again these parties dominate elections. The smaller parties don't have any money so people don't believe they can win and don't vote for them for fear the major party they like least will gain power (not an unreasonable fear because it has happened before when Al Gore could have one if everyone who voted for Green Party Ralph Nader had voted Gore. Instead George Bush became president.) The only answer is systemic change to our electoral and political system. We need instant run-off voting and to pass a constitutional amendment to get money out of politics (see what groups like Wolf-Pac are trying to do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822
The vast majority of people I know are middle class and they don't care much about prison overpopulation. It just doesn't cross their minds or bother them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Edinburgh,Scotland
364 posts, read 199,476 times
Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J. Reilly View Post
I'm not sure who is complaining about overcrowded prisons other than the prisoners. No person I know is losing any sleep on the subject.
Agreed,as long as people keep commiting crimes that are deserving of a prison sentence(moot point) then,keep ramming them in or build more prisons.Either way i do not care and yes,i am quite happy for my taxes to be used to pay for them.I can forgo a few beers throughout the weekends to pay for them.One day they will learn not to keep repeating their criminal cycles ergo they will not return to prison.Simple.

https://www.brainyquote.com/photos/a...tein133991.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Agreed,as long as people keep commiting crimes that are deserving of a prison sentence(moot point) then,keep ramming them in or build more prisons.Either way i do not care and yes,i am quite happy for my taxes to be used to pay for them.I can forgo a few beers throughout the weekends to pay for them.One day they will learn not to keep repeating their criminal cycles ergo they will not return to prison.Simple.

https://www.brainyquote.com/photos/a...tein133991.jpg
LOL-how ironic you used that quote considering that the War on "Drugs"-the longest and most expensive war in US history-is the definition of insanity. People that continue to believe in this insanity are doing the same thing over and over and over again, while expecting different results.

Today, drug use has grown so much that overdose from legal drugs is now the #1 cause of accidental death in the country-surpassing car accidents and gun deaths for the first time in history-and fueled by BigPharma which continues to rake in Billions in profit off death and addiction.

Our Government and the Nationless Corporations they collude with continue to profit massively from drug addiction and use this faux war against "drugs" as a moral guise to grow their power at home and achieve ulterior geopolitical goals abroad-very similar to the War on "Terror". Our Government also allows and aids (at the minimum) "rebel groups" to sell and generate income through massive drug production and sales-Poppy Fields in Afghanistan, Cocaine/Crack imported from Nicaragua, Heroin from Laos/Golden Crescent during the Vietnam War, etc. You are being lied to-and always have been. Drugs are MAJOR business-not for the little people-but for our Government/CIA, Military and also the corrupt Fed Banks that have been convicted of laundering BILLIONS in drug money among other things.

Prohibition creates lucrative black markets, fuels drug cartels and violence, turf wars, causes massive OD and death since the substances are unregulated and unknown. The disgusting War on "Drugs" has given the "land of the free" the highest incarceration and drug use rate in the world. I guess people can be DUPED into believing anything-even when our own history with alcohol prohibition proves otherwise.

Filling our prisons with non-violent drug offenders and having Law Enforcement across the country spending up to 70% of their time fighting this War on "Drugs" has made it so violent offenders are not the priority-murders are going unsolved at record rates-despite technological advances in forensics and DNA testing. Cops should be allowed to do their job-going after ACTUAL violent criminals-who today often serve much less time than a repeat non-violent drug offender. It is INSANITY.

People like you act like "laws" are concrete concepts that do not change-slavery was once "the law". Would you be one of those people in Nazi Germany ratting out your Jewish neighbor because, "DERP it's the LAW...DERP"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
The vast majority of people I know are middle class and they don't care much about prison overpopulation. It just doesn't cross their minds or bother them.
Are you a Boomer? It seems most from the Boomer generation are just oblivious on Government corruption/lies or don't care. I can tell you that it is a MAJOR concern for nearly everyone in my age group. This state sponsored terror will not continue much longer.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-03-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top