U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 PM

77 posts, read 154,003 times

Advertisements

So I moved to San Diego, CA and it was great but there were cons there that I couldn't live with and it just didn't feel like home. Here's what I'm looking for in a city. Maybe after listing what I want someone can chime in and tell me which city has most of those qualities:

*black women are able to date in and outside their race. San Diego was full of single black women.
*big city, I like city noises and a lot of things to do (500,000 and up population)
*affordable. I don't want to live with roommates in my 30's
*prefer nice weather but can compromise if there's a lot to do
*old housing. I LOVE wood floors and pannelings and claw foot tubs, built in China cabinets, etc
*not hard to make friends
*open minded people (I don't like the Midwest culture where you're expected to be married and on to your second child by 25. I want to be around goal oriented people whose dreams are bigger than being married with kids)

Anywhere you know that's remotely like this? Someone told me Austin TX BUT I heard the black men do not date black women which is fine as long as the other races did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
Atlanta

Old 02-25-2017, 04:21 AM

686 posts, read 399,998 times
Would have said DC but the affordability part kind of knocks it off the list, so Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:13 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscbrown View Post
So I moved to San Diego, CA and it was great but there were cons there that I couldn't live with and it just didn't feel like home. Here's what I'm looking for in a city. Maybe after listing what I want someone can chime in and tell me which city has most of those qualities:

*black women are able to date in and outside their race. San Diego was full of single black women.
*big city, I like city noises and a lot of things to do (500,000 and up population)
*affordable. I don't want to live with roommates in my 30's
*prefer nice weather but can compromise if there's a lot to do
*old housing. I LOVE wood floors and pannelings and claw foot tubs, built in China cabinets, etc
*not hard to make friends
*open minded people (I don't like the Midwest culture where you're expected to be married and on to your second child by 25. I want to be around goal oriented people whose dreams are bigger than being married with kids)

Anywhere you know that's remotely like this? Someone told me Austin TX BUT I heard the black men do not date black women which is fine as long as the other races did.
Atlanta seems to be an obvious choice but would also consider other cities like Baltimore and Charlotte which fit most of your criteria too. Neither Atlanta or Charlotte though are not what one would consider truly "big city" in terms of their environment and have evolved into what is considered in the Sunbelt to be a large city, but they lack in that urban vibe you seem to be after. Baltimore fits that role much better and with it's easy accessibility to DC (commuter rail) provides much more opportunity to explore and find things to do while still being affordable versus average salary.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:30 AM

56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
This is interesting, as San Diego is another Western city/area where there are more Black males than Black females due to the strong military presence in the area. So, I would think that you would see the opposite or at least a balance of both.

Anyway, perhaps a sleeper in this is the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA. It is essentially 7 cities in a metro of close to 2 million that run together or only separated by water. Norfolk would be the most urban of the cities and while it is less than 500,000 people, as mentioned, the other cities are adjacent or very close to it. Pretty big military presence there too.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is interesting, as San Diego is another Western city/area where there are more Black males than Black females due to the strong military presence in the area. So, I would think that you would see the opposite or at least a balance of both.

Anyway, perhaps a sleeper in this is the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA. It is essentially 7 cities in a metro of close to 2 million that run together or only separated by water. Norfolk would be the most urban of the cities and while it is less than 500,000 people, as mentioned, the other cities are adjacent or very close to it. Pretty big military presence there too.
Not to be Debbie Downer but the military presence (and it's transient nature) actually makes it more the opposite, and difficult to make friends according to friends of mine who left Norfolk. Much like it can be in DC as well where many come and go via the political process.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:50 AM

56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer but the military presence (and it's transient nature) actually makes it more the opposite, and difficult to make friends according to friends of mine who left Norfolk. Much like it can be in DC as well where many come and go via the political process.
It also means more men and some stay. I actually have a sibling that lives in the area as well.

Interracial couples aren't uncommon in the area and the metro Black percentage is on par with Atlanta's. BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-25-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 03:44 PM

77 posts, read 51,338 times
The A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or