U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:27 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,496,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What a nice video. I just moved to Lakewood last June. I don't have kids so I wasn't aware of this. It reminds me of when I was a kid living in Chicago. We always walked to school. No school buses ever.
Cool place. It also reminded me of my neighborhood in Cincinnati when growing up as a kid and the sense of community and belonging walking to school fostered. Brings back sweet memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 07:02 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,952,685 times
West York PA is a small borough next to York, which isn't too far from Baltimore or Harrisburg, has a crime rate around the state/below the national figure and is 19th in population density in PA(8,741.97 per square mile). It has about 4600 people in .53 square miles. Its most dense census block group is in the SE corner of the borough and was/is 18,405.15/square mile.

West Reading PA appears to be similar, but its crime rate is about/a little above average and its densest census block groups are about 14-15,000/square mile. It has 4200 people in .59 square miles(7,063.49/square mile).

Both are in good school districts as well(West York Area and Wyomissing Area).

Ingram and Aspinwall in the Pittsburgh area are also similar communities in this regard(small, dense communities in good school districts).

Waterford NY is also similar to these communities in terms of size, density, population and is in the Albany metro across the Hudson River from Troy. Watervliet is also across the Hudson River from Downtown Troy: DOWNTOWN TROY BID

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-04-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM

628 posts, read 759,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Maybe a bit off the radar initially but Lancaster PA could be a great option. It's quite dense due to it's historic pre-automobile geography, has a thriving very walkable downtown area and an impressive overall city-wide Walk Score of 81, a low cost of living well below the national average and a fairly low crime rate.
I know it's a weirdly late reply, but I just google earthed Lancaster, PA and was blown away by it's density. For a small city it probably feels quite a bit larger than it's reality.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 10,634 times
have Knoxville and Chattanooga been mentioned yet? Both have cool walkable developing downtowns and great access to nature, and decent CoL for now.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg_phil View Post
have Knoxville and Chattanooga been mentioned yet? Both have cool walkable developing downtowns and great access to nature, and decent CoL for now.
I don't know if they would be viewed as being dense cities though.

OP, given that you preferred the Northeast, if you don't mind a smaller community, a place like Cortland NY has census block groups in/around its Downtown with a population density near 10,000/sq. mile. It is affordable, has a low crime rate and has a state college. Not sure if it is big enough or dense enough in that area of town for you. Plus, it is about 20-40 minutes from bigger cities(Syracuse, Binghamton and Ithaca). Cortland, NY Community Videos - Welcome

Cortland Downtown Parnership Main
Cortland, NY | Official Website

Another small NY "city" that may work is Cohoes north of Albany. It is a working/middle class mill town community that has some row houses and census block groups in the 10-15000/sq. mile range. It has a low crime rate as well. City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY

Cohoes, NY Directory | Tourist Attractions | Shopping | Dining | Entertainment | Albany | Cohoes | New York | NY

Cohoes is by the previously mentioned and similar Watervliet, which also has some census block groups in that 10-15,000/sq. mile range. It also has a low crime rate and as mentioned before, it is across the Hudson River from Downtown Troy. City of Watervliet NY Official web site

About Downtown Troy: https://theurbanphoenix.com/2015/08/...h-in-totality/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-28-2017 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 PM

25,336 posts, read 41,448,410 times
Tucson, Arizona.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,870,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Tucson, Arizona.
I wouldn't qualify Tucson as walkable or safe (more like average-above to average crime). How about Montreal? Canada's pretty safe and the city is large and dense.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:42 AM

22,154 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Burlington, Vermont? It's a pretty straightforward daytrip to the major city of Montreal.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Burlington, Vermont? It's a pretty straightforward daytrip to the major city of Montreal.
Affordability may be the issue with Burlington.

Across Lake Champlain, Plattsburgh NY is similar to Cortland in terms of having a state college(and a community college), as well as core census block groups in/around its Downtown in the 8-14k/square mile population density range. It is also closer to Montreal(about an hour), has a low crime rate and is more affordable. Plattsburgh, NY | Official Website

GoAdirondack.com-Plattsburgh NY

Geneva is another small NY community that may work for the OP. It is actually quite diverse for a smaller community in the Northeast, it has a small private college, its crime rate is low(national)/average(state), it is affordable and it is about 40 minutes or so from Rochester and Syracuse. Its most dense core census block groups are only in the 8-9k range per square mile, but it is very walkable. http://cityofgenevany.com

Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...neva,_New_York)
https://youtu.be/7tGswej8vbw

https://theurbanphoenix.com/2016/04/...-of-grateness/

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/Projects/Div...cityid=3628640

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-29-2017 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, its crime rate appears to be at the national average. A source I'm viewing shows a Hate crime index and that has been relatively high in the past(can count yearly incidents on both hands and goes up to 2014). Its COL and density may be the bigger issues, but it is only just above the national average in COL and inner neighborhoods appear to be quite dense.
Census Tract 000500 in the city's East End( appears to be the most diverse area in the state of Maine, as it is about 28% black and 12% Hispanic according to 2014 data. It is near Downtown Portland as well. Crime appears to be average as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6629...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/P...d-Maine/crime/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or