U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 AM

12,205 posts, read 10,441,159 times

Advertisements

Many gay people are moving away from the traditional "gay centers" such as SF, NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc due to cost of living and into more "red state" cities. Gay people can pretty much prosper anywhere in the U.S. these days, and thanks to increased protection legislation over the years, most no longer feel the need to be in a gay mecca to be themselves.

Why LGBT People Are Moving to Red States - The Daily Beast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 2,233,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Many gay people are moving away from the traditional "gay centers" such as SF, NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc due to cost of living and into more "red state" cities. Gay people can pretty much prosper anywhere in the U.S. these days, and thanks to increased protection legislation over the years, most no longer feel the need to be in a gay mecca to be themselves.

Why LGBT People Are Moving to Red States - The Daily Beast
Although this is sadly something that might slowdown in the current political climate. The federal government has no interest in advancing LGBT anti-discrimination measures, and various red state governments are trying to undercut local ordinances put in place by their own cities in order to protect LGBT citizens. This isn't to say that every red state is doing this, but it's just how things have started to shakeout in the year that has gone by since that article was published.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 PM

8,786 posts, read 7,721,704 times
Such a dumb thread. The gay city thing has been done to death. Nobody cares if you're gay anymore. All the clubs are closing. It's not really novel anymore. So yeah, pretty much any city.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Such a dumb thread. The gay city thing has been done to death. Nobody cares if you're gay anymore. All the clubs are closing. It's not really novel anymore. So yeah, pretty much any city.
I agree, as even the "gayborhoods" in major cities are dissolving or long gone as a result of the mainstream acceptance (more or less). That said there still are places where being LGBT is not looked at in a generally positive manner, and most likely never will. Though would follow that up by saying any self respecting LGBT individual would probably never choose to live in some of those backwaters anyway.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:17 PM

627 posts, read 274,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
This thread is pointless.

Quote:

pretty much.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,233,638 times
Quote:
And yet gay people can still be legally fired in more than half of the states, evicted from their housing, etc, all because they're gay. The legal protections do not exist in those areas, and some state legislatures are trying to block their more progressive cities from enacting their own local protections. Asking what cities are gay friendly is too long of a list to get into, but there still quite a lot of places lacking adequate legal protections when all it takes is one employer or landlord to pull the rug out from underneath you. This is why HRC when ranking cities has a specific list for gay friendly cities that offer their own protections in conservative states that offer little to none.

Additionally, the bars are most certainly still there in all the large cities I've lived in and visited. There's no need to ghettoize into one area as much anymore, and the number of bars has declined, but there will never not be gay bars. Here in Chicago, Boystown still has roughly 20 bars in a very small geographic area. This doesn't take into account the other bars spread throughout the city or up in Andersonville. Also plenty of gay bars and neighborhoods when I visited NYC and LA last year. Just saying.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 PM

685 posts, read 467,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
LOL, yeah, just don't end up in a neighborhood with lots of blacks, Hispanics and/or second- and third-generation ethnic whites (i.e., 75-80% of the city).
Why not? I live in the West End ... very diverse and I've never had a problem. Ever.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,801,033 times
Yeah New Orleans still has a defined gay entertainment area on the end of Bourbon St. There are areas I would not suggest a gay person to move to, and places I would.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:51 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
And yet gay people can still be legally fired in more than half of the states, evicted from their housing, etc, all because they're gay. The legal protections do not exist in those areas, and some state legislatures are trying to block their more progressive cities from enacting their own local protections. Asking what cities are gay friendly is too long of a list to get into, but there still quite a lot of places lacking adequate legal protections when all it takes is one employer or landlord to pull the rug out from underneath you. This is why HRC when ranking cities has a specific list for gay friendly cities that offer their own protections in conservative states that offer little to none.

Additionally, the bars are most certainly still there in all the large cities I've lived in and visited. There's no need to ghettoize into one area as much anymore, and the number of bars has declined, but there will never not be gay bars. Here in Chicago, Boystown still has roughly 20 bars in a very small geographic area. This doesn't take into account the other bars spread throughout the city or up in Andersonville. Also plenty of gay bars and neighborhoods when I visited NYC and LA last year. Just saying.
I agree regarding the equal rights aspect and as a gay man have long disagreed that the fight for gay marriage was ass backwards. Equal protection under housing and employment laws should have been first and foremost in protecting every LGBT individual versus the cherry-picked marriage equality laws which was clearly chosen through the somewhat elitist HRC, to neatly tie up and complete the equality package for those living in the progressive areas with existing protections (and where most active HRC members live) versus "flyover country" where the majority reside. In terms of gay bars I don't think anyone was saying they're going away but overwhelmingly most major cities have lost their concentration of bars in one specific area (i.e. the Gayborhood) as well as the desire for many LGBT individuals to live within what was perceived as the protective confines. Outside of Chicago, Wilton Manors (Ft Lauderdale), Palm Springs and West Hollywood (LA) I cannot think of any other cities with that kind of concentration (or ongoing desire to maintain) of gay-centric neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,448,693 times
The large cities here in Texas a very LGBT friendly, but our "red state" politicians are extremely hostile and are currently working on bills to roll back all anti-discrimination ordinances. The Governor has said he will sign them if they get through the legislative process.

I love the expression that I'm seeing a lot on social media: "Sexual orientation is an innate, immutable trait like skin color, while the bigotry of extremists is a chosen lifestyle. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or