U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,359,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. I would avoid Birmingham and OKC. Those are the only two I know of that are not gay friendly at all (and even they aren't as bad as they were 20 years ago in this regard).
Can't speak for OKC, but as a gay man who lives in the Birmingham area its not the hellhole for gays as your trying to make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 PM

627 posts, read 273,904 times
Quote:
I agree. I would avoid Birmingham and OKC. Those are the only two I know of that are not gay friendly at all (and even they aren't as bad as they were 20 years ago in this regard). Memphis and Jacksonville are questionable but would probably be fine in the right areas. I would avoid metro areas in the South under 1 million that don't have a major college presence. Other than that, you will be fine in about any major metropolitan area.
Perpetual victimhood like this is why, unfortunately, some will never feel accepted.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 PM

273 posts, read 269,733 times
Surprised nobody beat me to this;

San Francisco.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM

4,146 posts, read 921,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Surprised nobody beat me to this;

San Francisco.
SF is too obvious. Seattle and Portland are just as gay friendly IMO.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:04 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
I agree. I would avoid Birmingham and OKC. Those are the only two I know of that are not gay friendly at all (and even they aren't as bad as they were 20 years ago in this regard). Memphis and Jacksonville are questionable but would probably be fine in the right areas. I would avoid metro areas in the South under 1 million that don't have a major college presence. Other than that, you will be fine in about any major metropolitan area.
What's the deal with the Jacksonville-bashing on this forum? It's one of the fastest growing cities in the US right now and isn't your grandfather's Jacksonville anymore. It has a higher percentage of gay residents than places like NYC, Atlanta, Miami or DC and is moderating daily in terms of politics as evidenced by a recent passing of anti-discrimination protection for the LGBT community that was championed by not only LGBT activists and Democrats, but also progressive GOP city council members and Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan.

In historic moment for Jacksonville, LGBT discrimination protections now law of the land | Jacksonville News, Sports and Entertainment | jacksonville.com

Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di Stabile View Post
what does gay 'friendly' denote, connote or require? usually no one cares about your sexual proclivities! I would not expect that every human being in any city should be required or expected to embrace everything you choose to do sexually. Again, I don't fully understand the necessity of some kind of litmus test for any city.
Being gay isn't all about sex anymore than being straight is.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:25 AM

742 posts, read 721,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Can't speak for OKC, but as a gay man who lives in the Birmingham area its not the hellhole for gays as your trying to make it out to be.
As a bisexual guy, neither is OKC.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:52 AM

4,146 posts, read 921,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
As a bisexual guy, neither is OKC.
It's cool to have bisexual people here, welcome!

Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 AM

605 posts, read 467,596 times
I don't really think there are any major cities that are not gay friendly or at least tolerant nowadays. Compared to a few decades ago the public opinion seems to have shifted even in conservative areas, and the majority of Americans (especially among those younger than 35) actually support keeping same sex marriage legal. The fact that many so called "gayborhoods" like the Castro in San Francisco are disappearing or becoming more mixed is evident to this as gays and lesbians are becoming more accepted by the general public and thus have no need to concentrate in certain neighborhoods and/or cities.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,989,000 times
I'd look in the major cities in the west coast, northeast, Miami and Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or