U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM

862 posts, read 752,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
That's not necessary true. Back before the Suoreme Court ruling, states had the power to deny gay couples marriage equality. Today, states can enact "religious freedom" laws, can continue permitting conversion therapy, can legislate so called "bathroom laws," deny workplace protections, etc. One might feel warm and cozy in Charlotte for example, but the NBA pulled their all star game and PayPal scrubbed plans to open operatons in that city for a reason - state sponsored homophobia.
About those "religious freedom" laws...how often do they happen anyway ?? Back in 2002 in Martinsburg, West Virginia no less a man claimed just that when he refused to fix a car because the owner was not only a gay man but HIV+ too. He was fired and no he never did tried to get his job back even though not only did West Virginia allowed it and the county was red he didn't have much in the way of supporters.

Conversion therapy...this will unfortunately be with us regardless of the area. No I don't believe in it but I see this every week and I live in a city ( Denver ) that is supposed to be gay friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
About those "religious freedom" laws...how often do they happen anyway ?? Back in 2002 in Martinsburg, West Virginia no less a man claimed just that when he refused to fix a car because the owner was not only a gay man but HIV+ too. He was fired and no he never did tried to get his job back even though not only did West Virginia allowed it and the county was red he didn't have much in the way of supporters..
Hooray! One business did the right thing and fired one ignorant employee. In 2002. Guess homophobia is over.
Quote:
Conversion therapy...this will unfortunately be with us regardless of the area. No I don't believe in it but I see this every week and I live in a city ( Denver ) that is supposed to be gay friendly.
Really? You see conversion therapy every week. Tell me more.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM

862 posts, read 752,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Really? You see conversion therapy every week. Tell me more.

Unfortunately yes. I guess its because of Focus on the Family is located nearby but I don't know but every week I get other guys saying stuff like they "found God" and that ""I should find God too" to me. Just last week I had a older guy get highly upset with me because I refused to go to the bathroom in Safeway with him and pray the gayness out of me. I have a "bear" bumper sticker on the back of my car and I had several folks wanting to "talk" to me and prevent me from burning in hell. Oh well !! I just sit back and laugh.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 AM

380 posts, read 405,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'd look in the major cities in the west coast, northeast, Miami and Austin.
Dallas and Houston are also gay-friendly cities in Texas. I can't speak for San Antonio though.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:46 AM

114 posts, read 81,100 times
While it may surprise some, Cincinnati has a rating of 100 from the Human Rights Campaign. We are also one of the few cities in the country to ban "conversion therapy" for minors.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Dallas and Houston are also gay-friendly cities in Texas. I can't speak for San Antonio though.
True, but don't ever try convincing that poster that. All of Texas outside of Austin is one big craphole for him.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:17 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
While it may surprise some, Cincinnati has a rating of 100 from the Human Rights Campaign. We are also one of the few cities in the country to ban "conversion therapy" for minors.
Dallas also received that same rating along with Austin. But conversion therapy is legal in Texas (and of course encouraged in the deplorable Texas GOP Platform).

Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
True, but don't ever try convincing that poster that. All of Texas outside of Austin is one big craphole for him.
What? Not true.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:02 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Unfortunately yes. I guess its because of Focus on the Family is located nearby but I don't know but every week I get other guys saying stuff like they "found God" and that ""I should find God too" to me. Just last week I had a older guy get highly upset with me because I refused to go to the bathroom in Safeway with him and pray the gayness out of me. I have a "bear" bumper sticker on the back of my car and I had several folks wanting to "talk" to me and prevent me from burning in hell. Oh well !! I just sit back and laugh.
You like in a truly unbelievable place. I'd probably move. You have, however, provided evidence to support my assertion that the local communities in which we live, no matter how progressive, are not fully insulated from state level politics, policies and practices.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 AM

13,421 posts, read 16,973,844 times
Quote:
That guy didn't want to go to the bathroom with you to "pray" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or