Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Pardon my french, but bull ****.

Doesn't matter if they banned it in bars, etc. People still smoke, and they certainly smoke a ton in 2 of the tobacco states. Even in my home town in super liberal northern Virginia, people smoke like chimneys, and it only gets more and more prevalent the further down 95 you go until you get to Richmond.

That they try to push smokers into the shadows away from the rest of society doesn't deter them from lighting up. Smokes are also a lot cheaper there than many other states.
Sorry, but your own perceptions don't supersede facts. Both VA and NC sit right around the national average of 20%-22%, so they're not exactly the hard-smoking states you're alluding to.

Cigarette Smoking Rates By State: Are There A Lot Of Smokers Near You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 AM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Sorry, but some cherry picked "facts" from some random medical website aren't enough to impress me. But if it makes you feel better to try and prove me wrong about my home state that I lived and breathed in for over 30 years, knock yourself out.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:40 PM

626 posts, read 380,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry, but your own perceptions don't supersede facts. Both VA and NC sit right around the national average of 20%-22%, so they're not exactly the hard-smoking states you're alluding to.

Cigarette Smoking Rates By State: Are There A Lot Of Smokers Near You?
That stat is meaningless. VA and NC have far more transplants than other southern states and have much bigger populations than say WV or KY which will drive down the percentage. You know that.

50% of cigarettes in the country come from Richmond.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I don't know any statewide bans/regulations here in Texas, but good luck finding any indoor venues you can smoke at anymore (bars, pool halls, restaurants, nightclubs, bowling alleys, etc).

Which is fine by me.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Sorry, but some cherry picked "facts" from some random medical website aren't enough to impress me. But if it makes you feel better to try and prove me wrong about my home state that I lived and breathed in for over 30 years, knock yourself out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
That stat is meaningless. VA and NC have far more transplants than other southern states and have much bigger populations than say WV or KY which will drive down the percentage. You know that.

50% of cigarettes in the country come from Richmond.

So "alternative facts" and self perceived "truths" carry more weight. Helps explain where we are now I guess...

Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So "alternative facts" and self perceived "truths" carry more weight. Helps explain where we are now I guess...
Everyone has their own facts now. I try to have a lot data conversations here on City-Data but that doesn't seem to matter to some folks. Sometimes it's more like City-Perceptions or City-Feelings here in the forums.

What's interesting about that Gallup poll about the top ten smoking states (that neither includes NC nor VA) is that the rate of smoking in in the top ten stayed relatively stable while the country as a whole declined.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:27 PM

266 posts, read 334,338 times
Smoking cigs is dead in California even in the poorer parts. People prefer the green stuff here, anyways.

Saw massive amounts of smoking while in Florida recently, felt like I was in a time warp.
I bet the south leads in smoking percentages.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:32 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Favor of cigarettes really has gone down. All those Ads have been doing some good. and the fact that I don't think they are cheap. Yeah one of my friends the other day was asking for a cigarette as I had no clue he smoked he's 20 y/o. My response "Who smokes anymore? It really has lost favor. especially with E-cigs and the green stuff so widely available and less addictive it would seem.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 PM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Smoking cigs is dead in California even in the poorer parts. People prefer the green stuff here, anyways.

Saw massive amounts of smoking while in Florida recently, felt like I was in a time warp.
I bet the south leads in smoking percentages.
It's true. Floridiots smoke like it's the 1950s.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
What's interesting is that the states with the highest rate of smoking have the lowest rates of binge drinking.Binge drinking map of America shows worst affected states | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.