U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What accent do I have?
New England 3 12.00%
Mid-Atlantic 4 16.00%
Southern 4 16.00%
Midlands 3 12.00%
Inland North/Great Lakes 7 28.00%
Western 4 16.00%
Some other American region 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:02 PM

45 posts, read 15,236 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in studying differences in regional accents across the United States, and I'm curious to know which region my own accent best reflects. I've provided URLs to three brief recordings of my voice below for analysis:

1. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZMDhl5aGXi (Part of my voicemail greeting)

In the following recording, I pronounce the following accent tag words:

Aunt, Roof, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminium, Envelope

2. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rPhZKbW92C

3. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1JZPgkDU5Un (Elicitation paragraph from the GMU Speech Accent Archive)

Some clarifications about the poll options:

"New England" includes Boston.

"Mid-Atlantic" includes New York City, New Jersey, and/or Philadelphia.

"Western" is, very broadly speaking, anything west of the Mississippi River.

Last edited by agun77; 02-26-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,960,701 times
What fun! I loved listening to your voice and accent. Without looking at your poll first, my impression was a touch of New Jersey. You could have been from California for how you pronounced many things, but there was that nasal way you pronounced "a" sounds and the way you kind of elongated the "a" sounds in a nasal way, that makes me think of New Jersey.

And when I googled it, New Jersey didn't seem to fit into your categories - not mid-Atlantic or New England, so wasn't sure how to vote in your poll.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What fun! I loved listening to your voice and accent. Without looking at your poll first, my impression was a touch of New Jersey. You could have been from California for how you pronounced many things, but there was that nasal way you pronounced "a" sounds and the way you kind of elongated the "a" sounds in a nasal way, that makes me think of New Jersey.

And when I googled it, New Jersey didn't seem to fit into your categories - not mid-Atlantic or New England, so wasn't sure how to vote in your poll.
For the purposes of this poll, I meant for "Mid-Atlantic" to include New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and/or Baltimore. I now realize that this grouping might not be so optimal given the not-insignificant variation across these areas, but unfortunately, I can't change the poll options. I edited my original post to provide extra clarification for some of the regions in the poll.

I'm glad you liked listening to my voice!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:29 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Sounds like New York, maybe not New York City though, idk. You got a bit of that Great Lakes thing going on. Interesting, I did a little quiz earlier online though that was from clicking answers. I'm gonna record myself saying these things see what people think, and compare to what the quiz told me! Vocaroo | Voice message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM

25,019 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Coupan!

Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,219,556 times
Sounds like Northeast but I hear some New York and Jersey in you.

Your "Roof" sounds like "Woof" and the way you say "Ruin" sounds like it starts with a W. It rolls off your tongue very differently if it begins with an R. Though if your R is placed in the middle of the word, like Syrup, it sounds fine...

The way you said "Caught" sounded VERY much like a New Yorker. You should have added Coffee to validate that claim.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Sounds like Northeast but I hear some New York and Jersey in you.

Your "Roof" sounds like "Woof" and the way you say "Ruin" sounds like it starts with a W. It rolls off your tongue very differently if it begins with an R. Though if your R is placed in the middle of the word, like Syrup, it sounds fine...

The way you said "Caught" sounded VERY much like a New Yorker. You should have added Coffee to validate that claim.
Sample sentence: "Tom usually starts his day with a hot cup of coffee."

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PgIldEySIT

Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
I think that to someone in the know about such things ( not me!) the way you pronounce 'Bob' would be a dead give away. The best guess I can come up with is the northeast somewhere, definitely not southern though, lol

Old 02-27-2017, 07:34 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
I listened to all three recordings and voted for the Inland North / Great Lakes option.

His speech sounds nothing like NYC or Boston or anywhere in New England at all. If I were to guess, I would say somewhere like Rochester or Buffalo or even Detroit. Somewhere in the Great Lakes region.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Great Lakes!

Coupaaahhhn
Her brother Bab
Tam usually starts his day with a hat cup of coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or