U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,767,296 times

Advertisements

Even though you specifically called it out as a city you aren't interested in, you pretty much described Detroit.

Excellent medical facilities. -- Check
FARM-FRIENDLY! Chicken and goat-friendly zoning (not a full-on mini farm, just a few small livestock for personal use).--Check
CHEAP! Affordable property costs to afford yard for said chicken and goats. Major Check
TRAILS! Plenty of hiking trails. -- Check, Check, and Check
TREES! Proximity to national or state parks/forests. Or metro parks that allow camping. -- In addition to what's listed above, the state is overflowing with state parks
SCIENCE! Museums, science centers open to the public. -- Yep, -- , We, -- Have, -- Those
A decent economy (i.e., not Detroit or other empty rust belt towns/cities). -- Please -- tell -- me -- more -- about how bad the economy in Detroit and Michigan is, because it certainly doesn't feel like it...
Not too hot, not too cold (55-80 most days is my fantasy), snowfall not measured in feet. -- Okay, well, you got me here - it gets cold in the Winter, there's no way around that - but the rest of the year is typically 55-85.
Moderate or liberal politically. Environmental regs a plus. -- While the state did embarassingly go red in this last election, most of the Southeast part of the state is still quite blue, especially in the more liberal suburbs like Royal Oak, Ferndale, or Farmington Hills.
Not in a cultish-Christian region where every song on the radio is about Jesus and every social activity is sponsored by a church. -- Haha, I moved here from Salt Lake City to escape this exact thing. Religion is definitely a minor threat here.
Proximity to public higher education institutions -- While Ann Arbor may be 45 minutes, -- Wayne State is right in the center of town
Manageable traffic. Cities with chronic all day, everyday, congestion are just not do-able with my health condition. -- Thanks to tons of money when the interstate system was developing, Detroit is sprawling with expressways. This is, in my opinion, part of what lead to the decline of the city while the suburbs have thrived, but as things are greatly improving in the city and most offices are moving back Downtown, the traffic is still very moderate and completely manageable.

Sorry, I know you said, "Not Detroit" but then you literally went on to describe Detroit. I mean, I totally get why people think the economy is bad here, it kind of gained that reputation over a half-century decline, but Detroit of 2017 is not Detroit of 2005. It's not even Detroit of 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 AM

294 posts, read 179,910 times
Greeneville Tennessee

Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,059 times
Colorado Springs. Mid-sized, close to Denver with lower COL. Western mountains, eastern plains. lots of adjacent open space. A bigger city that seems more like a small town surrounded by suburbs.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 AM

352 posts, read 291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's hot and humid pretty much everywhere in the continental US during the summer months. You can go either higher altitude in the Rockies or Pacific NW as well as down along the Pacific coast if you can't deal with a couple of months of higher heat and humidity.
I guess that you define the continental U.S. as "east of Colorado." It's not humid here in Colorado, in Utah, in New Mexico, in Arizona, in Idaho, in Nevada...

Old 03-03-2017, 10:58 AM

211 posts, read 477,598 times
Albuquerque, New Mexico! You should check it out.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM

370 posts, read 883,935 times
As a country boy living in the City, I'd suggest checking out Richmond. You can mountain bike, hike, kayak, rock climb, swim, or innertube all within site of downtown. Many neighborhoods are still very reasonably priced, and VCU is the major university in town. It's focus is the arts, not science but it does have a respectable medical campus and there are some highly rated hospitals nearby. You're an hour or two from the mountains (Shenandoah National Park) and two hours from the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are mild but summers you will have to deal with some heat and humidity. Best of luck in your hunt and here are a couple links in case you're interested!

https://www.visitrichmondva.com/things-to-do/outdoors/
Best Hospitals in Richmond, Va. | US News Best Hospitals

Old 03-03-2017, 01:50 PM

412 posts, read 305,653 times
Franklin, TN is another gem. Right outside Nashville. Very White and posh but not too expensive.

Las Vegas, NV is also great. Big city amenities with a small city feel (well, it is quite small).

Last but not least is of course Los Angeles and its vicinity. It's literally hundreds of small towns congregated into a large metropolis. You can't go wrong with LA!

Old 03-04-2017, 02:46 PM

539 posts, read 245,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I guess that you define the continental U.S. as "east of Colorado." It's not humid here in Colorado, in Utah, in New Mexico, in Arizona, in Idaho, in Nevada...
Or California, or Oregon, or Washington, or Montana, or Wyoming, or........

Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,761,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichsammich View Post
Davis looks amazing, but I don't have the funds to afford what houses in CA go for I double checked around Davis, just to be sure). A mobile home would be my only option, per Realtor and Zillow. Thank you for the suggestion, though.
Yeah, Davis is kinda expensive for a somewhat rural California city but I'm familiar with it having lived there for 2 years. You can also try nearby Merced or Chico which may be cheaper than Davis though I'm not sure if you can find anything in your budget at those places. They're quite close to major national parks which is a plus (Yosemite and Lassen.)

Old 03-06-2017, 12:27 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broscoe View Post
Raleigh NC

It's a city but it's so spread out you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere despite being a . few miles from the downtown area.
Feeling like you are in the middle of nowhere in Raleigh means that are are beyond the development edges and that won't last for long. Wake County is very rapidly developing and adding about 25,000 people each year. This is why I suggested the parts of Chatham County that are further from Wake County and south of Chapel Hill and Durham. I also liked the similar suggestion of looking west of Chapel Hill toward, and including, Saxapahaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or