Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 PM

765 posts, read 890,700 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, this winter has been brutal in the PNW and I would like to shake some things up in my life.
I'm looking for the following:

Mild to warm winters. I don't consider Puget Sound to be mild in the winter, I consider Bay area/ coastal South Carolina to have mild winters.

LGBTQ friendly. This is huge, I am gay and it's important to me that the general community is accepting, and advocates, and that there is a sizable LGBTQ community.

I love the beach and I would maybe consider a fresh water beach if it was a perfect situation. The ocean is ideal.

I love topography as well but I know that would limit my area to the west coast so I will leave it out. But I need something to make up for it at least.

COL that isn't higher than Tacoma's.

Walkable. I have only taken public transportation my entire life and I would much prefer not to have to own a car. If it's a great situation though I would consider it.

Diversity. I am from a diverse area and it's something I value. Not completely necessary though.

Not snobby or pretentious. Easy going community would be great.

I am used to the Sea-Tac metro area size but I am willing to go smaller or larger.

Last edited by blaserbrad; 03-10-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 06:23 AM

26,867 posts, read 43,348,703 times
In my opinion you've pretty much described Savannah though it's clearly much smaller in population size. Otherwise it has the climate, provides walkability though you'll still want/need a car in some instances, provides a sizable and visible LGBT community, overall friendliness is rather high (it is the South!), has a good bit of diversity (Savannah College of Art Design draws from all over the world), is close to nice beaches and in terms of cost of living could be a bit less than Tacoma.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:27 PM

416 posts, read 250,830 times
My suggestion is South Florida. Miami for the amenities and diversity, or somewhere in Broward County for cheaper COL and still nearby Miami.

The worst thing about South Florida is the economy, yet you didn't mention any concern about the economy at all so I will ignore it and assume you're either retired, well off, or have some business that is location independent.

Let's start off with why South Florida matches you

-The metropolitan area is a bit bigger than Seattle's, and it's diverse.
-You're a beach person.
-Florida, like Washington, has no state income tax.
-I believe COL is comparable, if you leave Miami.
-Winters here are some of the mildest in the nation. This year, November, December (2016) and January,February (2017) averaged highs in the low 80s. I'm confident that when March finishes it will record average highs in the low 80s as well. For many northern places, this is their typical summer weather. Granted, this was an above average winter for us, typically December, January, and February average highs in the upper-70s (all other months are above 80), that's still similar to Seattle summer.

Now you did mention you love topography. Florida, Southern Florida especially is flat as a pancake. But South Florida has many beautiful vistas because of the tropical Flora and Fauna, all the keys and barrier islands, the white sands, coconut palms, and teal waters. What we lack in mountains we make up with other scenery. Honestly I would put Miami up there with Seattle and San Francisco for beautiful scenery.

And if you live in Miami, you can live in a high-rise and have spectacular views everyday from your living room and bedroom. No need to drive to some viewing point. Miami embraces high-rise living and is probably the 3rd best city in the USA for this after NYC and Chicago.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:34 PM

416 posts, read 250,830 times
I should mention that if you hate hot, humid weather (don't we all) Miami's summers are not worse than anywhere in the SE, not appreciably anyway. But since Miami embraces the beach and watersports, it certainly feels easier. 95 degree and humid may suck for anything else unless you're on the boat or on the beach. Then it's paradise.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:42 PM

686 posts, read 615,752 times
I don't think you're going to tick all of those boxes, but Miami or Charleston fit most of them. Miami is quite snobby and pretentious, though. Neither are 100% walkable all of the time, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.