U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 20.83%
Central Texas/Tri-Cities: Austin, Round Rock, Temple, Killeen, etc. 3 12.50%
San Antonio Metro 2 8.33%
Tyler-Longview, Texas 0 0%
Charlotte, NC/Metrolina 5 20.83%
Durham/Chapel Hill, NC metro 6 25.00%
Tri-Cities, TN (Bristol, Kingsport, etc) 1 4.17%
Nashville, TN metro 7 29.17%
Chattanooga, TN metro and North Georgia suburbs. 2 8.33%
North Mississippi suburbs of Memphis (Horn Lake, Desoto, Hernando, Senatobia) 0 0%
Tupelo, Mississippi 0 0%
Hattiesburg, Mississippi metro 0 0%
Alexandria, Louisiana metro 0 0%
Lafayette, Louisiana metro 1 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times

Advertisements

Wages in Texas are not that great, and with increased influx of residents there is more competition. Same goes with Florida. If you want to stay southern North Carolina or Tennessee may be your best bet. If you want the best wage-to-COL ratio, move to the Midwest.

Where Wages Are Lowest and Highest in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 24 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,339,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I have primarily worked retail over the last 5 years, but little spats of office jobs over the years.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management. Having got a taste of that rainy/icy weather in Tennessee last month I can see what you are talking about.
Don't fall for exaggerations, temps in Nashville rarely go below the 20's at night. The ice is because you frequently hit that point just between above and below freezing right before morning traffic. It's not fun but it's not a daily issue either.
Oddly, if you choose to look further at east TN you will find that icy roads are less of a problem because the temps don't fluctuate as much on a daily basis, once it dips below freezing it tends to stay that way and can be handled more easily by road crews.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,138,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Don't fall for exaggerations, temps in Nashville rarely go below the 20's at night. The ice is because you frequently hit that point just between above and below freezing right before morning traffic. It's not fun but it's not a daily issue either.
Oddly, if you choose to look further at east TN you will find that icy roads are less of a problem because the temps don't fluctuate as much on a daily basis, once it dips below freezing it tends to stay that way and can be handled more easily by road crews.
Actually through the whole thing I drove from Horn Lake, MS to Nashville. It cleared up just enough for it to be good driving. But on the way back is when a foggy haze and mild ice hung over I40.

Is Cold-Warm a thing? Because it fluctuated alot.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Any recommendations on Dallas/Ft. Worth? Charlotte?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM

17,708 posts, read 4,087,824 times
Quote:
Any recommendations on Dallas/Ft. Worth? Charlotte?
Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Metroplex is more white collar.Also, its gotten a lot more expensive.It might work though...good economy.It has DFW and Love field so that could be good for going to different cities.Dont know how dating is.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM

13,597 posts, read 22,049,121 times
Quote:
After 5 years of toil I finally got the money saved up to move.

I'm 25, male, college educated, blue-collar, childless and unmarried. I've decided to finally leave my Arizona town this year to try something different. Possibly in the South and Texas. I have more than several places in mind so I need better information as to:

Affordability (hopefully on the cheaper end).
Quality of Life.
Safety.
General Economic situation.
Quality and quantity of good jobs.
Accessibility to larger venues in other cities.
Maybe just MAYBE a stable dating environment.

Please feel free to critique any of what I have listed, I'm open to different opinions on this.

Metro Atlanta.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Metroplex is more white collar.Also, its gotten a lot more expensive.It might work though...good economy.It has DFW and Love field so that could be good for going to different cities.Dont know how dating is.
It was in the "maybe" category for me. Dating right now isn't a priority.

I never expected Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville and Durham to get such a big turnout.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:25 PM

I have been to Nashville several times. What struck me about the place is how rocky the terrain around the edges of the city are. It's like a big bowl, and the suburbs are creeping up the ridges and hills of the hollers.

When I was last in the city in January, I scoped out the town of Dickson as a potential town to live in.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 PM

Seems the top 3 right now are Nashville, Dallas and Durham. I'm looking at Dickson, Tennessee right now as a town to commute from.

But the other two, talked to my Uncle in Dallas a bit about it, the metro is annexing far into Northern Collin County nowadays, anybody got a good opinion on a good suburb in that part of Texas?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:34 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Alot of these cities are very different from each other. But, other than Austin, all are below average in COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or