U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 20.83%
Central Texas/Tri-Cities: Austin, Round Rock, Temple, Killeen, etc. 3 12.50%
San Antonio Metro 2 8.33%
Tyler-Longview, Texas 0 0%
Charlotte, NC/Metrolina 5 20.83%
Durham/Chapel Hill, NC metro 6 25.00%
Tri-Cities, TN (Bristol, Kingsport, etc) 1 4.17%
Nashville, TN metro 7 29.17%
Chattanooga, TN metro and North Georgia suburbs. 2 8.33%
North Mississippi suburbs of Memphis (Horn Lake, Desoto, Hernando, Senatobia) 0 0%
Tupelo, Mississippi 0 0%
Hattiesburg, Mississippi metro 0 0%
Alexandria, Louisiana metro 0 0%
Lafayette, Louisiana metro 1 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 AM

3,191 posts, read 4,135,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Alot of these cities are very different from each other. But, other than Austin, all are below average in COL.
Good to know. But I don't think I'd live in Austin, just some nearby town or city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Rents and property prices in hip parts of Nashville are rising dramatically. This has now spread to most parts of the city proper. I wouldn't call Nashville proper blue collar at all - most of the recent growth has been driven by healthcare and various support staff (finance, IT, supply chain, etc.) to healthcare organizations, though there are more "blue collar" operations outside the city. Nissan's North America headquarters is in nearby Smyrna.

I'm from the Tri-Cities. It's certainly blue collar, but there is little to no dating scene here, few transplants, and a weak local economy. There is great outdoor activity available here if you're into that - probably the best among the places listed.

Chattanooga may be a good compromise. It draws more in the way of transplants than the Tri-Cities, has a major Volkswagen plant, and is becoming a bit of a magnet for younger people, and also has great outdoor activities.

I'd also consider Knoxville TN.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Rents and property prices in hip parts of Nashville are rising dramatically. This has now spread to most parts of the city proper. I wouldn't call Nashville proper blue collar at all - most of the recent growth has been driven by healthcare and various support staff (finance, IT, supply chain, etc.) to healthcare organizations, though there are more "blue collar" operations outside the city. Nissan's North America headquarters is in nearby Smyrna.

I'm from the Tri-Cities. It's certainly blue collar, but there is little to no dating scene here, few transplants, and a weak local economy. There is great outdoor activity available here if you're into that - probably the best among the places listed.

Chattanooga may be a good compromise. It draws more in the way of transplants than the Tri-Cities, has a major Volkswagen plant, and is becoming a bit of a magnet for younger people, and also has great outdoor activities.

I'd also consider Knoxville TN.
I've been looking at Chattanooga too. Place was a buzz during the Atlanta Campaign so lots of sightseeing for a guy like me.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,690 times
You might like Fort Worth. Although it's not as saturated in young people as Dallas is, it is smaller and cheaper. You're close enough to all of the entertainment and nightlife options of Dallas. There's some nightlife in Fort Worth, particularly along West 7th and also in Downtown.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:48 AM

287 posts, read 265,264 times
Um.. don't consider Alexandria... Lafayette is a great city and has a lot of culture. Not too far from New Orleans or Houston for more to do and a lot of fun. Not far from the beaches of Galveston. Lots of festivals. Or I would recommend trying Baton Rouge.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:26 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It was in the "maybe" category for me. Dating right now isn't a priority.

I never expected Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville and Durham to get such a big turnout.
Okay, I see.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Um.. don't consider Alexandria... Lafayette is a great city and has a lot of culture. Not too far from New Orleans or Houston for more to do and a lot of fun. Not far from the beaches of Galveston. Lots of festivals. Or I would recommend trying Baton Rouge.
Well, I felt it was worth knowing what that area is like. I've never been to it. But Lafayette does sound fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You might like Fort Worth. Although it's not as saturated in young people as Dallas is, it is smaller and cheaper. You're close enough to all of the entertainment and nightlife options of Dallas. There's some nightlife in Fort Worth, particularly along West 7th and also in Downtown.
My cousin used to live in Denton, nothing but accolades for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Okay, I see.
Yeah, like I said I'm just going off of what I saw during my first visit.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Well, I felt it was worth knowing what that area is like. I've never been to it. But Lafayette does sound fun.

My cousin used to live in Denton, nothing but accolades for it.

Yeah, like I said I'm just going off of what I saw during my first visit.
Okay.I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or