U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,558,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
No. LA has many, many discontinuous grids. There aren't many curves outside the hills, but there aren't that many continuous straight streets off some of the main boulevards (Vermont, Western, etc.)
There is a sort of suoergrid if boulevards like Wilshire, Sunset, Lincoln, La Cienega, Santa Monica, etc., but they curve to follow the hills or coast, and in between, most streets don't go continuously for a very long distance.
https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/w...g-street-grids Link on LA street-grid.

As with LA. Chicago's longest continuous streets, including its diagonal ones. Were originally as its highways. Before the age of freeways/expressways.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...alifornia.html

^^^ Above comments on LA street-grid in TripAdvior.

Many California cities founded by Spaniards from Mexico have their central grid at a 45 degree angle. This practice was brought from Spain. Orienting structures on a 45 meant only two sides got sun exposure which helped keep them cool. LA, SF

One major issue is that many of the cities, like Burbank, have their own street numbering systems. Since there are multiple cities in the region, you get a patchwork. Google Maps cuts through it pretty well.

South and East are Even (North and West are Odd).

Ground zero in the City of LA is in downtown at First and Main. (First becomes Beverly for a while). At Virgil/Commonwealth it will switch back to First again.

Beverly Hills and Santa Monica are separate cities and do their own thing. Wilshire Blvd is ground zero for north/south in BH. I don't know that SM uses a N/S numbering system.

* Overall LA is still a linear straight-line streets type of grid.

Chicago has cross sections of angled sections of blocks also. They are shorter streets that end. But its Grid is standard into early suburbs, that even kept its alleys. Variations in the direct north/south east/west that for segments line up with its main diagonal streets. - 2-example streetviews.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9355.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9339.../data=!3m1!1e3

But the address numbering system prevails and basic size of blocks and alleys in 90% of the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9325.../data=!3m1!1e3

^^ Above has Chicago on the right and suburb of Elmwood Park on the left. You CAN'T tell the difference.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9634.../data=!3m1!1e3

^^^Above is where Chicago on the right WITH ALLEYS divides into the suburb of Norridge on the left. The DIFFERENCE is change from back alleys to a driveway to back. But very similar homes and lot sizes.

Older Chicago North side
6-cornered⤵ intersection⤵ / Diagonal⤵Clark St downtown/ nighttime grid

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:29 PM

992 posts, read 578,855 times
In my opinion, the city with the most perfect street layout/infrastructure/topography is Rio de Janeiro.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times

Philly from the air by Eric, on Flickr

Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
^Great photo! Northwest/Northeast and parts of North and South Philly are not pictured.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM

^I agree, nice photo over Philly. Shows how huge Fairmont Park is
as big or bigger then Center City itself. Also Camden, NJ in foreground.

Love Aerial Photos. Especially scenes that greenery of a city is shown.
Tree-lined streets showcase the city's green coverage.

Chicago's street-grid coming through here from the plane.
Looking toward its downtown with its skyline in distance too .

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
^I agree, nice photo over Philly. Shows how huge Fairmont Park is
as big or bigger then Center City itself. Also Camden, NJ in foreground.

Love Aerial Photos. Especially scenes that greenery of a city is shown.
Tree-lined streets showcase the city's green coverage.

Chicago's street-grid coming through here from the plane.
Looking toward its downtown with its skyline in distance too .

always like the straight light lit streets arriving in Chicago by plane from the lake

and that is a little les than half of Fairmont park, does have some additional in upper right of the image out toward Chestnut hill

Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM

City Planner Gets Halfway Through Designing City Before Realizing He's Just Doing Philadelphia Again

Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM

I'm sorry but ---> you were just Had by a SATIRE mock, FAKE news sight. The "Onion". Just Google it.

Watch the video interview here. Admitting what they are.

The Onion: Fake news org celebrates 25 years of satire - CBS News

It was probably more a mock and slight toward Philly to insinuate best planned city someone inadvertently in creating a perfect city? Would then see it was Philly all along. So Sorry.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but ---> you were just Had by a SATIRE mock, FAKE new sight. The "Onion". Just Google it.

LOL-No----> I'M SORRY but, who hasn't heard of The Onion? Most people-"most"-can tell it's a joke just from the title.

How was I "had"? It's supposed to be funny-sheesh. You are always so tense, but too often don't understand posts.

Quote:

It was probably more a mock and slight toward Philly to insinuate best planned city someone inadvertently in creating a perfect city? Would then see it was Philly all along. So Sorry.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here...

Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL-who hasn't heard of The Onion? Most people-"most"-can tell it's a joke just from the title.

How was I "had"? It's supposed to be funny-sheesh. You are always so tense.
No Philly promoter would spoof their own city. Fight tooth and nail maybe. But, if you had a intention to post it? Now that is what I don't get? No ice needed to be broke in this thread. But back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.