U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 AM

22 posts, read 26,300 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking at about a 2500mile move across the country, so probably 3-4 overnight stays along the way. I have a 2016 Cherokee and a 5x10 open trailer both will be full for the move. I'll likely cover everything in the trailer with a tarp and strap it down. I'm wondering how people deal with securing their cargo, at least well enough to sleep at night at like a hotel? My luck is someone will come across it and have their way. Most of the cargo will be expensive computers/lab equipment/tools. I've come up with some ideas but I'm hoping someone out there will have some suggestions I haven't thought of. My ideas :
  • Staying right off the highway, out of towns. Maybe avoid foot traffic people, and at the least make navigating with the trailer easier (also some of the country-highway hotels I've seen have semi parking).
  • Park as close to the room i'll be staying as possible
  • Lock tie down straps or use a chain, using some of those brinks discus locks (chain or straps would be cut in a matter of a couple seconds though).
  • Wheel lock/chocks on the trailer and maybe my tongue lock so it cant be as-easily driven off with
  • IDK?

Thought about just finding campgrounds along the way and sleeping next to the car, but concerned I won't get the best nights sleep due to some neck injuries, don't want to risk getting a migraine and needing to drive still for days. But I might, as this is the best option to alleviate my concerns, although I doubt many people choose this route.

I've thought about more elaborate things like mounting a wireless camera on the back of my jeep and run it off a battery so I can monitor it from my phone. Or rigging up some contact sensors to detect if the tarp has been pulled back (or certain items moved). Or maybe vibration sensors (although I'd have to spend some time calibrating it accurately). Putting them on a 125db siren or something. Seems overkill, although it seems like something I would do lol.

I've had a lot of things stolen from my cars/homes over the years, and I'm a rather paranoid person to begin with, so I may be worrying too much about this. If you think so let me know! It may help lol. If you have any other suggestions or similar experiences of your own - let me know as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 06:13 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Why don't you just rent a small trailer that locks and is enclosed? Seems cheaper than getting stuff stolen.

Or you could just build a top with a locking mechanism for existing trailer?

I mean how will you avoid rain?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:32 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
I think if you secure a heavy waterproof tarp tightly with those higher strength locks at all corners and a couple on each side you'll be fine. The idea of staying near highway exits is a good one and would recommend older chain properties like Quality Inns or Best Westerns where rooms are exterior entry and for your piece of mind can see where you parked. Obviously a semi-well lit parking lot would be a good thing too. If what's under the tarp is well secured and hidden from sight, I don't think anyway is likely to risk getting caught for what could amount to nothing in terms of immediate value.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM

472 posts, read 271,113 times
My son made a similar trip, securing everything with a tarp and stayed at Hampton Inns in good areas. He parked near the entry door and nobody messed with his trailer. I dont know about you but I've never had anything stolen from me, as long as you pay attention and take precautions you'll be fine. Plus there are cameras everywhere these days and that's a huge deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or