Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 AM

35 posts, read 112,854 times

Advertisements

I need some suggestions for my next move. Here's the long and short of it:

I was raised in MA, RI and NC. I attended college in NC and a few years after graduation, I moved to NYC from 2000-2005. I was part of a layoff in NYC and after several months, sadly had to move back to NC and live with my parents. But I found a job with a company and got transferred 2 years later to Lincoln, NE. I lived there from 2008-2015 and LOVED IT!!!! The pace, the people, the weather, the COL. Everything felt like home. Then my department got consolidated in 2015 and I could move to Albuquerque, NM or Columbia, SC. Or leave the company. My boss put me up to go to Columbia as he thought I wanted to be close to family. (But I like and need the distance from my family.) I've been in Columbia, SC for the past 2 years and I really hate the city as well as the added pressure of having to visit my NC family more frequently.

I'm ready to leave my company in May after I complete my 2 year contract. At first I was going to put off my move for a few years until my disabled brother was more settled and used to living independently in NC. But I'm in my early 40s and if I'm going to move and start over with a new company, I feel like I've got to do it sooner rather than later. Starting a new life in a new place will be easier now than in my 50s.

A little more about me and what I'm looking for in my new home: I'm single, no children and I'm not trying to change those two things. I'm liberal, college graduate, and financially stable. Ideally, I'd like to live in the town from the television show, Gilmore Girls. Since it doesn't exist, I would settle for a small town no more than 90 minutes from a large city/airport. Four seasons are a must, leaning towards a moderate winter. I am not an outdoors woman but I love scenery and love the idea of being near a National Park. My preference is for the Midwest or West but all suggestions are welcome.

I know most will comment that I shouldn't move without a job and trust me, I won't. But I thought if I could get some ideas, it would help me narrow my job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
If you were open to the Northeast, I was thinking of something possibly like Hummelstown PA outside of Harrisburg. It is a little over 90 minutes from BWI Airport and Philadelphia International Airport though.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena73 View Post
A little more about me and what I'm looking for in my new home: I'm single, no children and I'm not trying to change those two things. I'm liberal, college graduate, and financially stable. Ideally, I'd like to live in the town from the television show, Gilmore Girls. Since it doesn't exist, I would settle for a small town no more than 90 minutes from a large city/airport. Four seasons are a must, leaning towards a moderate winter. I am not an outdoors woman but I love scenery and love the idea of being near a National Park. My preference is for the Midwest or West but all suggestions are welcome.
It does kind of exist. It's based on a small town in Connecticut (the town of Washington), which has many similarities. In all practicality when looking for a similar match in terms of liberal and well educated small towns New England is what comes to mind most in my opinion, however winters would be kind of brutal. Since you mentioned the Midwest as an option I'll throw out a couple of potentially good choices that could be overlooked. Ames and Grinnell, Iowa are college towns (Iowa State U and Grinnell College respectively) and offer a high-quality of life in line with your criteria. Ames is about 30 minutes due north of Des Moines which has a booming economy in terms of jobs, so it could be a match in that department as well. If you can work remotely Grinnell is an hour east of Des Moines.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:28 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
If you liked Lincoln, NB you might like Lawrence, KS. Similar kind of place but milder winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.