U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Austin
5 posts, read 2,490 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Both the dog and me love Austin because of its abundance of trails, water spots and activities to do, but the heat kills us both in the summer. I was going to make a permanent move to SLO/Santa Barbara/Denver for tech job market, cooler sunshine and mountains but since I have the option to work remote for the time being, I am contemplating a temporary summer move to a dog friendly scenic mountainous area from June through September instead.

Ideally, I am hoping to find a temp place to live for around $1000/month or less, and I'll be fine with shared house/apartments. In Denver suburbs and SLO, it seems fairly easy to find sublets/rooms on craigslist and hotpads etc, but I am not seeing any shared listings in rest of the areas. I assume month to month rentals will be very expensive since those regions are essentially vacation rental areas.
  • Ketchum/Sun/Wood river valley (Read that it's the best town in the U.S for dogs)
  • Colorado Springs/Durango/Denver suburbs (After the summer, move to Denver area will be less painful)
  • Adirondacks (Easier to travel to parents near NYC vs catching a flight few times a year)
  • Cascades
  • San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara (Cons: these mountains get hot in the summer)

Are there any other regions that I should consider? Does anyone have any advice on finding a decent place for short term (4 summer months) somewhere in adirondacks or ketchum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 PM
 
56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Reputation: 12480
In terms of the Adirondacks, this may help: https://www.adkhearthsiderealty.net

Perhaps look into the Catskills and Poconos as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,919 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Reputation: 5839
Flagstaff, AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 AM
 
21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_guy View Post
Both the dog and me love Austin because of its abundance of trails, water spots and activities to do, but the heat kills us both in the summer. I was going to make a permanent move to SLO/Santa Barbara/Denver for tech job market, cooler sunshine and mountains but since I have the option to work remote for the time being, I am contemplating a temporary summer move to a dog friendly scenic mountainous area from June through September instead.

Ideally, I am hoping to find a temp place to live for around $1000/month or less, and I'll be fine with shared house/apartments. In Denver suburbs and SLO, it seems fairly easy to find sublets/rooms on craigslist and hotpads etc, but I am not seeing any shared listings in rest of the areas. I assume month to month rentals will be very expensive since those regions are essentially vacation rental areas.
  • Ketchum/Sun/Wood river valley (Read that it's the best town in the U.S for dogs)
  • Colorado Springs/Durango/Denver suburbs (After the summer, move to Denver area will be less painful)
  • Adirondacks (Easier to travel to parents near NYC vs catching a flight few times a year)
  • Cascades
  • San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara (Cons: these mountains get hot in the summer)

Are there any other regions that I should consider? Does anyone have any advice on finding a decent place for short term (4 summer months) somewhere in adirondacks or ketchum?
I would attach Boulder to your list as it's pretty much on target with your criteria I think and could be that easy move you're looking for and provide some options you might have missed otherwise in scoping out the Denver metro (Broomfield for example which is a thriving and popular northern "urban suburb" with easy access to the Boulder area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,929 posts, read 2,209,964 times
Reputation: 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_guy View Post
Both the dog and me love Austin because of its abundance of trails, water spots and activities to do, but the heat kills us both in the summer. I was going to make a permanent move to SLO/Santa Barbara/Denver for tech job market, cooler sunshine and mountains but since I have the option to work remote for the time being, I am contemplating a temporary summer move to a dog friendly scenic mountainous area from June through September instead.

Ideally, I am hoping to find a temp place to live for around $1000/month or less, and I'll be fine with shared house/apartments. In Denver suburbs and SLO, it seems fairly easy to find sublets/rooms on craigslist and hotpads etc, but I am not seeing any shared listings in rest of the areas. I assume month to month rentals will be very expensive since those regions are essentially vacation rental areas.
  • Ketchum/Sun/Wood river valley (Read that it's the best town in the U.S for dogs)
  • Colorado Springs/Durango/Denver suburbs (After the summer, move to Denver area will be less painful)
  • Adirondacks (Easier to travel to parents near NYC vs catching a flight few times a year)
  • Cascades
  • San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara (Cons: these mountains get hot in the summer)

Are there any other regions that I should consider? Does anyone have any advice on finding a decent place for short term (4 summer months) somewhere in adirondacks or ketchum?
I think the PNW will be a great option for you if you are just staying for the summer, it's very mild (mid 70s) and sunny for the majority of the time. What size of city are you looking for? do they need certain criteria, such as a regional airport?

either way I think Bellingham, WA will be a great option to consider. The metro area has 212,284 people so it should have most of the amenities you would need and has a regional airport. It's also got the water (Bellingham Bay and Lake Whatcom) and has easy access to Mt. Baker and surrounding mountains.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...4d-122.4786758

http://gotravelaz.com/wp-content/upl...ngham_3068.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-03-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and wherever planes fly
1,555 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Reputation: 1394
Asheville, NC Blue Ridge Pkwy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Austin
5 posts, read 2,490 times
Reputation: 14
I'd be okay with a town or a small city as long as I can get to a decent airport within 2-3 hours. I might fly once or twice in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM
 
56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Reputation: 12480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_guy View Post
I'd be okay with a town or a small city as long as I can get to a decent airport within 2-3 hours. I might fly once or twice in the summer.
I was thinking for the Catskills, perhaps a small city in the foothills like Oneonta: Visit Oneonta NY :: Home
Dining, Shopping, Services - Destination Downtown Oneonta, NY

It is about 3 hours from NYC and is in between Binghamton and Albany on I-88(about 60 and 70 miles from each city/area). Albany has an "International" airport with decent rates about an hour and 15 minutes away. Cooperstown is not too far away as well(about 30 minutes away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_guy View Post
Both the dog and me love Austin because of its abundance of trails, water spots and activities to do, but the heat kills us both in the summer. I was going to make a permanent move to SLO/Santa Barbara/Denver for tech job market, cooler sunshine and mountains but since I have the option to work remote for the time being, I am contemplating a temporary summer move to a dog friendly scenic mountainous area from June through September instead.

Ideally, I am hoping to find a temp place to live for around $1000/month or less, and I'll be fine with shared house/apartments. In Denver suburbs and SLO, it seems fairly easy to find sublets/rooms on craigslist and hotpads etc, but I am not seeing any shared listings in rest of the areas. I assume month to month rentals will be very expensive since those regions are essentially vacation rental areas.
[*]Colorado Springs/Durango/Denver suburbs (After the summer, move to Denver area will be less painful).
Colorado is much hotter than you are probably realize in the summer. The sun is also very intense. Add in the extreme dryness, and it's a recipe for dangerous conditions if you are talking about long walks and trails and dogs and such.

Denver and much of Colorado are ridiculously expensive and overrated. I'd look elsewhere. Colorado is super ugly and moisture starved most of the year. It's so depressing to look at dead and dormant landscapes day after day. It only greens up a little in April, when we actually see some rain. It only rains about 5 times a year, and it's pretty much all in April. I'll never again live in a borderline-desert landscape.

Who knows... have you looked into OR and WA? You'll find more moderate temperatures there - both in winter and summer - and find lots of deep green beauty.

P.S. Man, I sure do miss Austin and Texas! Colorado will never come close to what's down there.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-02-2017 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,552 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Colorado is much hotter than you are probably realize in the summer. The sun is also very intense. Add in the extreme dryness, and it's a recipe for dangerous conditions if you are talking about long walks and trails and dogs and such.
By "Colorado" you mean "The Front Range and Eastern Plains." I wouldn't call an average high in August in the 60s in a place like Leadville "hot." Also, hot & humid climates (like Austin's) are much more dangerous than hot & dry ones because your body's cooling systems don't function well in humid air. In Denver it's much easier to keep yourself cooled off (and properly hydrated) and you're far less likely to suffer heat stroke than you are in Austin. That is a fact.

I agree the sun is more intense, but you can escape it easier by simply heading into the shade. In Austin the shade brings little relief. In fact the heat index in a humid place like Austin (which is often greater than the ambient temperature) is measured in the shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Denver and much of Colorado are ridiculously expensive and overrated. I'd look elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Who knows... have you looked into OR and WA? You'll find more moderate temperatures there - both in winter and summer - and find lots of deep green beauty.
You're complaining about how expensive "Colorado" (again, you mean "The Front Range") is, but you suggested Oregon and Washington? The in-demand places in OR and WA are MORE EXPENSIVE than Denver.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Colorado is super ugly and moisture starved most of the year. It's so depressing to look at dead and dormant landscapes day after day. It only greens up a little in April, when we actually see some rain. It only rains about 5 times a year, and it's pretty much all in April. I'll never again live in a borderline-desert landscape.
Again, by "Colorado" you mean "The Front Range." It does dry out and turn brown down on the plains and foothills, but the same exact thing happens in Austin, San Antonio, and DFW. Those areas are brown from July 'til March.

Here's a picture of Echo Lake Park in September. Look how dry and dead it is.



Here's Golden Gate Canyon State Park in September or October. Totally barren and lifeless.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-02-2017 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top