U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2017, 05:19 PM
 
182 posts, read 143,407 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Northeast, South, West, Midwest

What's the 3 most important states in each region?

ALSO! In each region, what's 3 most significant cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM
 
1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Reputation: 1822
Midwest: Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. Probably the easiest region of all for states.

Northeast: New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey or Massachusetts. New Jersey is more populous and has a larger economy, but Massachusetts seem to be the center of New England.

South: Texas, Florida, and Georgia, not much over North Carolina and Virginia. Hard to pick the last one, but I decided on Georgia because of how Atlanta is called the "capital of the South."

West: California, Washington, and Arizona or Colorado. Third place mind as well be a tie, or be replaced by Alaska and Hawaii, significant for their geography and size, in Alaska's case.

For cities, the Northeast has New York, Philadelphia, and Boston, no contest on the top three, while the most important cities in the Midwest as Chicago, Minneapolis, and probably Detroit. Los Angeles and the Bay Area for the West, followed by either Seattle or Phoenix, cannot really decide on one, though I am leaning towards the latter.

With the South, I'm just going to name them alphabetically, to avoid controversy: Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Miami, and Washington D.C. I didn't include Atlanta because it is smaller and because it, if I remember correctly, punches under it's weight economically, as opposed to the larger DFW, Houston, and Washington D.C.,who punch above their weight. Also, while it may be called the capital of the South, Atlanta is even smaller than Miami when looking at urban population and is growing slower than all the other four metros.

Note, I took significant to mean important, rather than something like culturally unique or name recognition. I also used Census-desinated regions because the OP divided the country into four regions whose names correspond exactly to that of the Census' four regions. If y'all want to argue that "x, y, and a are not part of the South," fine, move Washington D.C. to the Northeast, replacing Boston or Philadelphia, leaving the top three to be DFW, Houston, and Miami. Or also take out Miami and replace it with Atlanta, since so many people don't consider it part of the South. If Texas doesn't count either, it is Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville. There are also San Antonio, Austin, Baltimore, Orlando, and Tampa, but they probably won't fit in as part of the South for a person who excludes most of the original four cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2017, 06:13 PM
 
135 posts, read 94,280 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Midwest: Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. Probably the easiest region of all for states.

Northeast: New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey or Massachusetts. New Jersey is more populous and has a larger economy, but Massachusetts seem to be the center of New England.

South: Texas, Florida, and Georgia, not much over North Carolina and Virginia. Hard to pick the last one, but I decided on Georgia because of how Atlanta is called the "capital of the South."

West: California, Washington, and Arizona or Colorado. Third place mind as well be a tie, or be replaced by Alaska and Hawaii, significant for their geography and size, in Alaska's case.

For cities, the Northeast has New York, Philadelphia, and Boston, no contest on the top three, while the most important cities in the Midwest as Chicago, Minneapolis, and probably Detroit. Los Angeles and the Bay Area for the West, followed by either Seattle or Phoenix, cannot really decide on one, though I am leaning towards the latter.

With the South, I'm just going to name them alphabetically, to avoid controversy: Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Miami, and Washington D.C. I didn't include Atlanta because it is smaller and because it, if I remember correctly, punches under it's weight economically, as opposed to the larger DFW, Houston, and Washington D.C.,who punch above their weight. Also, while it may be called the capital of the South, Atlanta is even smaller than Miami when looking at urban population and is growing slower than all the other four metros.

Note, I took significant to mean important, rather than something like culturally unique or name recognition. I also used Census-desinated regions because the OP divided the country into four regions whose names correspond exactly to that of the Census' four regions. If y'all want to argue that "x, y, and a are not part of the South," fine, move Washington D.C. to the Northeast, replacing Boston or Philadelphia, leaving the top three to be DFW, Houston, and Miami. Or also take out Miami and replace it with Atlanta, since so many people don't consider it part of the South. If Texas doesn't count either, it is Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville. There are also San Antonio, Austin, Baltimore, Orlando, and Tampa, but they probably won't fit in as part of the South for a person who excludes most of the original four cities.
Lean the other way. Seattle ranks higher than Phoenix in terms of national importance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM
 
266 posts, read 214,551 times
Reputation: 238
West - CA, Washington, and Nevada. 1, 2, 3


Arizona, Oregon, Colorado make up 4, 5, and 6

CA is the cornerstone of the west, so States likes Oregon and Nevada rank up higher than they would on their own.

Cities: LA, Sf, Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Seattle
565 posts, read 563,586 times
Reputation: 516
I don't think the West is a region.
Northeast: New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania
Southeast: Atlanta, Miami, Houston
Midwest: Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis
Mountain West: Denver, SLC, Boise
Southwest: Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque
PNW/ SOCAL (West Coast): Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Reputation: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I don't think the West is a region.
Northeast: New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania
Southeast: Atlanta, Miami, Houston
Midwest: Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis
Mountain West: Denver, SLC, Boise
Southwest: Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque
PNW/ SOCAL (West Coast): Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle
Houston isn't Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 PM
 
Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 22,557 times
Reputation: 53
NE: New York (no question), Massachusetts (Boston, heart of New England), Pennsylvania (more distinct than New Jersey which includes the metros of other states' cities, while still having a large population and economic importance). Cities: Boston, New York and Philadelphia (nothing to explain).

MW: Illinois (of course), Ohio and ???. Cities: Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis.

SE: Georgia, Florida, North Carolina and their largest cities.

I don't really know much about the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,533 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
Here is how I would stack them up with more localized regions.

Pacific Northwest: Washington
Southwest: California
Rocky Mountain: Colorado
Plains: Oklahoma
Upper Midwest: Minnesota
Great Lakes: Illinois
Mid-Central: Missouri
South: Georgia
Mid-Atlantic: Virginia
Northeast: New York

Florida and Texas are important but the debate as to their regions is not something I wish to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:24 PM
 
Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 22,557 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Here is how I would stack them up with more localized regions.

Pacific Northwest: Washington
Southwest: California
Rocky Mountain: Colorado
Plains: Oklahoma
Upper Midwest: Minnesota
Great Lakes: Illinois
Mid-Central: Missouri
South: Georgia
Mid-Atlantic: Virginia
Northeast: New York

Florida and Texas are important but the debate as to their regions is not something I wish to get into.
What is mid-central?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,533 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo Sanantonio View Post
What is mid-central?
Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Southern Illinois. Sometimes called mid-south, perhaps a better term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top