U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:27 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,982,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
LOL report back after the first month of commuting.
Exactly. It's not even the weather that worries me the most. There are no routes in accept for some very dangerous interstates. I think he's imagining something that isn't there. This is not a condensed east coast city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,823,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Exactly. It's not even the weather that worries me the most. There are no routes in accept for some very dangerous interstates. I think he's imagining something that isn't there. This is not a condensed east coast city.
Since when did I ever say I live in a condensed, east coast city? I'll take the risks and make it work. A bike commute in bad traffic is a lot better than having my license suspended and pickup truck impounded due to a road-rage incident(bye bye livelihood). But for now, I'm not even finding any work worth going for down in that area. Just like a majority of these cities, they all seem to be strict, tech hubs with some other white collar and service employment sprinkled about.
Us truck drivers seem to get boned out to the rural sticks. And sadly, most other truckers I talk to prefer the "wide open spaces" garbage as opposed to some actual, decent living in the city.

New Mexico, Texas, a few nice urban cores with an overabundance of podunks!! That's what I get from living in these areas for the past, several years.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 PM

58 posts, read 37,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I love Austin, but biking from a burb into downtown Austin is just a bad idea. It won't work.
Yes. I don't like to dwell on negativity -- even tho' I do here, about Austin anyway, since it already has so many shills -- but honestly, bike riders get killed dead here way too often as it is, just normal biking on city streets. It's a problem but there isn't any solution, seemingly. Our roads are just too crowded, in bad condition many of them, and not build for sharing; and Austin drivers are heedless.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:39 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,153 times
I don't think you can legally bike on I-35. And even if you could, it would be quite the extreme sport.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper909 View Post
and Austin drivers are heedless.
That's everywhere though. I don't know what it is about car commuting, but the uptick in dashcam road rage videos I've been seeing makes me think the problem isn't going away any time soon. Hours cooped up in that box and one little mistake could have you ending up with a record, and a small blurb on the 10'o'Clock news.
I give cyclists plenty of space whenever I'm driving my pickup, don't know what's so hard about it for other drivers.
As far as making the move down there is concerned, can't really find any work for myself. Seems like I'm either stuck out here fending off the yokel herds in the 575, or taking one of the many bites I've been getting in the 303
So much for trying to move back towards a warm weather area.

Life in general blows and there's not much you could do about it, except swish it down.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:40 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Since when did I ever say I live in a condensed, east coast city? I'll take the risks and make it work. A bike commute in bad traffic is a lot better than having my license suspended and pickup truck impounded due to a road-rage incident(bye bye livelihood). But for now, I'm not even finding any work worth going for down in that area. Just like a majority of these cities, they all seem to be strict, tech hubs with some other white collar and service employment sprinkled about.
Us truck drivers seem to get boned out to the rural sticks. And sadly, most other truckers I talk to prefer the "wide open spaces" garbage as opposed to some actual, decent living in the city.

New Mexico, Texas, a few nice urban cores with an overabundance of podunks!! That's what I get from living in these areas for the past, several years.
Sounds like you need help bud.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,659 times
Charlotte. Charlotte has a relatively loose, rapidly growing job market (lots of financial services companies, which seems to match your occupation - Raleigh has a lot of healthcare, education, software, etc.) and because the municipal and local governments don't have draconian land use and urban growth policies, rent/land costs are moderated, like in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. I used to be anal and elitist about the whole suburban sprawl thing but honestly you get used to it. The suburbs really aren't so bad.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Sounds like you need help bud.
Great comeback. Unfortunately, I've burned too many bridges with past therapists so there is none.(and paying them with bad checks doesn't exactly help either)
Thanks for trying though.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 PM

514 posts, read 379,057 times
Quote:
I find a way to get around. After having dealt with owning a vehicle again for the past, four years, I'm more than willing to kick it to the curb once it's paid off. Heat and humidity is no problem. Yes, drivers do have a tendency to run one off the road, but it's a hazard I'm prepared to put up with.

This overblown idea of dying if you bike commute in a certain area is getting kind of tired. We're all going to go at some point in time. Pick your poison.
That and I drive semis as a job, so sitting behind a steering wheel is getting quite tiring for me.

Plenty of other affordable areas in Texas, if you really want to deal with true Texan experience. Get enough of that country drawl here in eastern NM to the point where it's getting harder each day to not hit the bottle
I've actually done the bike ride from Round Rock to N. Austin (Mopac/Parmer) a few times before the tollway was built....Don't do it bro!
I almost got splattered trying to navigate through La Frontera parking lot and nearly ran off the road by rock haulers in another attempt to take McNeil.

But if you still are going to attempt it, PM me for the best route and I'll try to help!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:22 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Quote:
Great comeback. Unfortunately, I've burned too many bridges with past therapists so there is none.(and paying them with bad checks doesn't exactly help either)
Thanks for trying though.
For the sake of public safety, maybe you shouldn't be driving trucks anymore? For your safety, don't ride a bike either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or