Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 AM

33 posts, read 38,605 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving in a month, and I've narrowed it down to Austin and Raleigh. However, I have concerns about both. I really love everything Raleigh has to offer except it looks like the job market doesn't really match my qualifications. I make 60k at the job I have now in Chicago, but something like this in Raleigh would only pay around 45-50k it looks like. I spoke to a recruiter in the area who acted like I should have a Masters Degree, asking if I planned to go back to school. Umm...no! I have plenty of student loan debt already, thanks. Also, it snows in Raleigh and I really really hate the snow and cold! I wish this wasn't such a priority, but it is.

Austin kind of has it all...the weather I like, the jobs, the liberalism. But I am concerned I will be priced out of this area in a matter of years. The rent is increasing rapidly and it's getting crowded. I'm single in my early 30s and don't want a roommate. I don't think I'd be able to buy property in this area with the increase in housing costs.

Is there anywhere like Austin? With a similar job market, warm weather (never snows), affordable, and not a huge metropolis like Atlanta or Houston. I don't like huge cities.

I'm thinking maybe Raleigh is my best bet and I'll just have to deal with the snow and lower pay. But I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions? I used to live in San Antonio and hated it, so that's out, and I can't afford California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM

27,183 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Rather than go where everyone else is going which dilutes the job market lowering salaries and blowing up housing prices you might look at some cities that offer up much of what you might like minus the drawbacks. Check out other cities in NC like Greensboro or Winston Salem as well as Richmond VA, Chattanooga TN or Birmingham AL. All are vibrant moderately growing cities with a progressive nature and while not "big city liberal" you'll find plenty of others like yourself, a place where you can afford to live well and not worry about being priced out of the housing market.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:19 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
What's your industry? Jax might be appealing. It has similar weather, low COL including housing prices, and it's slowly progressing in the direction of Austin though still far from it. It does compare to Raleigh though. Not the most liberal area but certainly you can live in very liberal neighborhoods.

Tampa area is another one to consider.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
What's your job?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
It barely snows in Raleigh. You are making it sound like it's a frequent occurrence! Raleigh has as mild of a winter as you can have while still being able to claim a four seasons climate. And while Raleigh is OK for a single person, I imagine Austin is much better. You didn't say how much of a priority meeting people is for you. That said, I like Raleigh. Just make sure your expectations are in line.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 AM

33 posts, read 38,605 times
Thanks for the replies...I have considered Jacksonville, but have read it's one of the most conservative city in the country which is a huge con.

My current job is an Executive Assistant/Project Coordinator/Analyst position.

I also have a background in Accounting and Customer Service. Kind of a master of none type, which hurts when looking for a job sometimes

Old 03-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post
I'm planning on moving in a month, and I've narrowed it down to Austin and Raleigh. However, I have concerns about both. I really love everything Raleigh has to offer except it looks like the job market doesn't really match my qualifications. I make 60k at the job I have now in Chicago, but something like this in Raleigh would only pay around 45-50k it looks like. I spoke to a recruiter in the area who acted like I should have a Masters Degree, asking if I planned to go back to school. Umm...no! I have plenty of student loan debt already, thanks. Also, it snows in Raleigh and I really really hate the snow and cold! I wish this wasn't such a priority, but it is.

Austin kind of has it all...the weather I like, the jobs, the liberalism. But I am concerned I will be priced out of this area in a matter of years. The rent is increasing rapidly and it's getting crowded. I'm single in my early 30s and don't want a roommate. I don't think I'd be able to buy property in this area with the increase in housing costs.

Is there anywhere like Austin? With a similar job market, warm weather (never snows), affordable, and not a huge metropolis like Atlanta or Houston. I don't like huge cities.

I'm thinking maybe Raleigh is my best bet and I'll just have to deal with the snow and lower pay. But I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions? I used to live in San Antonio and hated it, so that's out, and I can't afford California.
You could possibly afford Sacramento.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:43 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post

Some ideas:

Sacramento
Tucson
Nashville (snows there too though)

Old 03-05-2017, 02:01 PM

686 posts, read 621,703 times
Tampa

Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Charlotte may be a possibility as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.