Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM

7 posts, read 7,385 times

Advertisements

Which city is more gay friendly, gay accepted and over all better for gays to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 08:55 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It's like comparing an apple to an orange. Both are good in their own respect, but completely different. Miami tends much more pretentious in my opinion as a gay male who has lived many years in South Florida but has the jaw-dropping looks to back that up, especially if you find men of Cuban descent appealing like I do. Chicago is less pretentious overall, friendlier and just has a laidback vibe which Miami lacks oddly given it's location, though I'll chalk that up to have a population predominate with transplants many of whom are from the Northeast US...not to mention the sometimes awkward lack of interaction between some Hispanic men with Caucasian men. There can be some unpleasant awkwardness there which I didn't find appealing. In terms of individual liberties and acceptance by society at large, I would say both are fairly equal.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:45 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Miami has more attractive men than Chicago but both are gay friendly.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous6977 View Post
Chicago has been a more industrial working class city in the north.
The keyword in your sentence is "has." Chicago of 2017, rather than industrial Chicago of 1957, is currently one of the most diversified city economies in the entire country.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Chicago and Miami are both gay-friendly cities with large, active gay scenes. However, if you have any intentions of settling down in the suburbs someday, there is, perhaps, no large suburban area in the United States more gay-friendly than Broward County.

Weather, geography and career opportunities aside, I think it boils down to what kind of gay culture you prefer, and the type of man that is representative of that culture (if you're single, of course).

I'm gay and prefer tall, fair-haired, well-educated, multi-generational American men with good jobs, so naturally, Chicago would be a much better choice for me personally than Miami, where most gay men are Latino/Hispanic by heritage, short, come from poor, non-English-speaking households and tend to work in the service and, to a lesser extent, entertainment sectors.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 PM

210 posts, read 565,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Chicago and Miami are both gay-friendly cities with large, active gay scenes. However, if you have any intentions of settling down in the suburbs someday, there is, perhaps, no large suburban area in the United States more gay-friendly than Broward County.

Weather, geography and career opportunities aside, I think it boils down to what kind of gay culture you prefer, and the type of man that is representative of that culture (if you're single, of course).

I'm gay and prefer tall, fair-haired, well-educated, multi-generational American men with good jobs, so naturally, Chicago would be a much better choice for me personally than Miami, where most gay men are Latino/Hispanic by heritage, short, come from poor, non-English-speaking households and tend to work in the service and, to a lesser extent, entertainment sectors.
Wow way to generalize 😅

Old 03-06-2017, 06:03 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Yeah, for sure...neighborhoods like Brickell, Coral Gables, Aventura, Coral Way, South Beach, Coconut Grove and Cutler Ridge are flooded with poor gay Hispanic men occupying residences where the average rent is anywhere between $1800-$2300 a month. Sour grapes much?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Both are very gay friendly.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yeah, for sure...neighborhoods like Brickell, Coral Gables, Aventura, Coral Way, South Beach, Coconut Grove and Cutler Ridge are flooded with poor gay Hispanic men occupying residences where the average rent is anywhere between $1800-$2300 a month. Sour grapes much?
I just liked this post.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:33 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The other poster was definitely using sweeping generalizations but there is some truth to it. If you're top choice is non-hispanic white guys Chicago will have more of that to offer. On the flip side if you prefer South Americans then Miami is clearly the better choice.

I also think Miami's selection of educated/professional gay men is smaller than that of Chicago, New York or D.C. That's not an insult, just a casual observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.