U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM

565 posts, read 563,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How do you like Tacoma? Given housing costs, that looks attractive. I got a family of four. I think it's the next hot market.
Tacoma is a great city. It's going through a lot of changes right now. The housing stock is limited. A lot of tech families moving to the Northend and commuting to Seattle. It's a pretty laid back city, diverse, and has many different types of neighborhoods. It's been a hot market for the last couple of years. Great parks, waterfront access, lower cost of living compared to Seattle, great restaurants/ bars/ clubs, beautiful architecture, higher crime though. With a family I would suggest staying in the Northend (Stadium, North Slope, Proctor, Ruston, Old Town), Northeast (Brown's Point, Dash Point, Northeast), or the West end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 05:27 PM

211 posts, read 477,660 times
I've lived in Illinois (Chicago and suburbs) most of my life with a brief stint in Fort Lauderdale when I was a young kid. I would love to leave in a few years. The weather is always cloudy, cold, rainy, or gloomy (except for a few months in summer). I am definitely more liberal, but Chicago is not even progressive like Vermont, Denver, Seattle, Portland, etc, they are neoliberal. People here are mean and there's just not as much opportunity here.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Have lived in Colorado for a lifetime, ready for a change going into retirement. This state has changed quite a bit and so ready to move on. Spouse and I both love life on the water, which is a struggle in a landlocked state obviously, so looking into coastal state options, warmer climate preferred.
Ditto about looking for a change from CO. Considering Southern New Mexico (Las Cruces). Less to no snow and warmer, not Phoenix or Vegas hot, but warmer!

Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 PM

8,719 posts, read 7,669,607 times
Been in Massachusetts (Boston) for 5 years. Would love to be in my home state of Ohio.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:27 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Ditto about looking for a change from CO. Considering Southern New Mexico (Las Cruces). Less to no snow and warmer, not Phoenix or Vegas hot, but warmer!
I like Las Cruces,New Mexico too.I think its real nice there.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Originally from New Jersey, no desire to return ever besides to visit Island Beach State Park.

Love living in Columbus but would look out of state before relocating to other metros in the state.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 AM

1,161 posts, read 654,080 times
I grew up in southern New Hampshire, and have less then zero desire to ever move back there.

I really like living in Philadelphia now, but I eventually want to try my hand in New York within the next couple of years.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,298,118 times
I live in Chicago now and really like the city overall, but I dislike the political and financial atmosphere of the city and state.

I moved here from Texas. I liked that Texas always has new things being built, businesses opening, and new jobs arriving.

Illinois feels very stagnant, almost like that small town in the middle of Mississippi that hasn't changed in decades. The feeling is even worse outside of the Chicago metro area.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many states are large and diverse, with a wide range of options for whatever lifestyle one wants to live. Sure, Maine and North Dakota aren't going to have a big city experience, and states like Connecticut aren't going to have vast expanses of rural land, but most places are in the middle.

I'm from and live in a declining manufacturing/mining area in northeast TN, but have lived in southwest Virginia (even more isolated and backward), upstate South Carolina and a small town between Columbia and Charleston as a kid, Indianapolis, Des Moines, and greater Boston. I've been around a bit and have lived outside of TN for four out of the five past years.

I don't hate this area - people are very friendly and I have a fairly low stress, well-paying job. Outdoor activities are great most of the year, and there are only three real months of winter (never a consistent snow pack), with occasional days of 60s and even 70s sprinkled in. However, there is very little here in the way of shopping. The nearest Costco and Whole Foods are nearly two hours away. No electronics retailers other than Best Buy - I used to go to Fry's Electronics a lot in Indy. The only "hypermarket" here is Walmart - no Super Target, Meijer, or HyVee like the Midwest. Grocery prices are higher than anywhere else I've ever lived and selection is terrible. Many common items, like certain brands of BBQ sauce, that were readily available in the Midwest aren't available at all here. Everything revolves around church and I'm not religious, though I do vote Republican.

I'm a big sports fan and there are no major college or professional sports within two hours of here. I probably went to twenty NBA games a year in Indy, four or five Colts games, etc., dozens of AAA baseball games, probably a dozen Reds games, also went to see Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, and Detroit Tigers. I could go to various places from Indy in an easy day trip for sports if Indy didn't have what I want - here, it's a major effort and the nearest major metro is Charlotte, three hours away. Nashville is four hours away. Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Raleigh are about five hours away.

I want somewhere that is at least big enough to have a major college nearby, AAA baseball, and stores like Costco/Macy's. Proximity to the coast or mountains is a plus.
What about places like Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Omaha, Des Moines and perhaps Tacoma and Portland as options? They seem to fit or come close to the criteria mentioned at the end of the post.

On the East Coast, the best options may be the Gwinnett portion of the Atlanta metro and actually Syracuse. Both have AAA Baseball, a major college program, both of the stores mentioned and are relatively close to at least mountains.

There may be a few others that fit that criteria as well.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjaguar883 View Post
I'm considering leaving Delaware in a few years. Too many areas are either really cookie-cutter or have high crime rates. I don't really care much for the Northeast in general, to be completely honest. One of my biggest factors in deciding where to live is affordable housing costs, and you just don't get that in many Northeastern places.

I used to live in Pittsburgh, and am contemplating eventually moving back that way. I'm also considering Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio. I'm sure I'll be asking this forum about recommendations in a few years, lol.
For affordable in the Northeast, you would have to look Inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or