U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City for Me!
Las Vegas 9 31.03%
Denver 7 24.14%
Albuquerque 6 20.69%
Other(please specify!) 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 6,147 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating a move for quite a while. It is narrowed down to 3 cities.

My top 3 criteria are warm weather, affordability/COL and liberal. I have not been able to find all 3!

I am in my mid 40's, well traveled and have lived and worked in many cities in the U.S. I want to settle down somewhere; not forever but at least 5-10 years. I am single and being in an area conducive to meeting someone to settle with and accompany on adventures is important. I do not want to live anywhere in the South. The culture does not mix well with me. I am an atheist and liberal-libertarian. I also like arid weather without bugs being a real problem. I prefer mid sized cities, sunny climates, educated population, good economy, access to the outdoors and a good art/entertainment scene. I don't need 24 hour entertainment/activity. I prefer a relaxed but vibrant atmosphere. Landscapes I like in order are, desert, mountain and ocean.
I can transfer with my company to any of these cities listed. I can transfer to almost anywhere in the nation really, if you have another city recommendation.

Las Vegas: I have lived here before and really enjoyed it. Loved the weather, the ease of travel within the city and easy access to so many outdoor adventures. Has a real live and let live vibe, always something going on, yet can be chill if you want. Affordable real estate. While I have job I can transfer with NOW, the economy in Vegas is limited and many of the jobs are low paying. The cons are that and no real walkable neighborhoods, community feel. I loved living in Vegas and have friends there and know the city but going back could be weird. Going backwards?

Denver area: A friend is moving there soon, so that would make the move easier for the both of us. I have been here before and liked it and will be making another visit soon. It is a growing city with tons of outdoor opportunity and in one of the most beautiful states. My concerns here are the weather. I have lived in cold and snowy climates. I can handle the cold much more than the snow, but not a fan of either. Feel we missed the time to go and COL is high and it is crowded with traffic now. If I go to CO I could be working anywhere from Aurora to Parker. How is the traffic? Any areas better than Denver or Boulder?

Albuquerque: This is not much of a reality because it doesn't make more sense than Vegas or Denver. It looks beautiful, has character, affordable, less traffic, great yet limited food. But I don't know anybody in Albuquerque! And it seems to have a high crime rate.

Not looking for City Data to make my choice, just looking for information. Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 PM

406 posts, read 288,309 times
How about Phoenix? It has the warm weather and affordability that you want, however, especially in the burbs, it leans conservative (Arizona went Red this election).

There are a decent amount of liberals however, it isn't anything like the middle of Arkansas or Mississippi where if you are a liberal you stand out like a sore thumb.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Phoenix is something to consider. Probably a better dating city and a more diverse economy. Thank you!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,393,515 times
also Tucson

Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,801,179 times
I was definitely going to suggest Phoenix. The summers are extremely hot, but you have places to escape the heat or just stay in the A/C.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:07 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,673,625 times
Another nod to adding Phoenix to your list.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:41 AM

What are the reasons for the low vote on Denver?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:25 AM

1,561 posts, read 745,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedmarsh View Post
What are the reasons for the low vote on Denver?
Denver isn't particularly warm or affordable in general. It does have quick access to magnificent mountain scenery and plenty of civic amenities, however, and is more of a "live and let live" environment than many places on either side of the political spectrum.

I think Tucson would be a great match, as long as it aligns with your job interests well. Tucson has desert scenery that tends to be kept in a more natural state than is true of more populous Phoenix, and a climate with an abundance of warmth and sunshine. Plus it's within easy driving distance of mountains, and the water is just a few hours away in both Mexico as well as southern California. Although Arizona tends to be a red states, greater Tucson is more liberal. There are some very wealthy sections in the mountain foothills to the north, but overall it is pretty affordable for a metropolitan area in the West.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM

True about Denver's climate and cost of living. I am officially nixing Denver!

Some great points on Tucson! I've only spent a few days in Tucson, and unfortunately, I found it kinda boring. Definitely laid back though, which is a plus!

Anyone have any insight on Albuquerque or anything else about Tucson and Phoenix?

Thanks to all for the posts!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 PM

I'd like to take a trip to Albuquerque.Tickets are really high! $400-500+! This could be a deal breaker, taking into account future travel.
Before I look further, does anyone else have any input on Albuquerque for the warm, affordable liberal city I am looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or