U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,105,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Seattle, home to many self-professed athiests (Ron Reagan, Ophelia Benson, Amanda Knox, etc.):

The Big American City That Has a Stunning Number of Atheists and Agnostics – TheBlaze

The difference between an athiest and an agnostic? The first is convinced there is no "supreme being" (or "God"), while the second is unconvinced that there is one.
Atheists need not be convinced there isn't a supreme being. A better breakdown of the relationship between atheism and agnosticism is that 'atheism' vs. 'theism' is a belief question, whereas 'agnosticism' vs. gnosticism' is a knowledge question. So an atheist lacks belief in a deity; he may or may not also take the stronger position that *there is no god*. If he does, that implies that such a thing is theoretically knowable--so he'd be a gnostic atheist. I do not consider the existence or nonexistence of god to be something that is theoretically knowable--I do not know how to square the idea of 'metaphysical' knowledge with a purely physical universe. Thus, I am an agnostic atheist.

In the grand scheme, the only thing stunning about American religious statistics is how non-atheistic this benighted country continues to be in year 2017. Seattle's atheism/agnosticism percentages are ridiculously low for a place that's reputedly a bastion of atheism/agnosticism.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 03-16-2017 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 PM

626 posts, read 574,773 times
How has so few said New England? The region is just as irreligious as PNW, and in some cases beats it.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM

626 posts, read 574,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Atheists need not be convinced there isn't a supreme being. A better breakdown of the relationship between atheism and agnosticism is that 'atheism' vs. 'theism' is a belief question, whereas 'agnosticism' vs. gnosticism' is a knowledge question. So an atheist lacks belief in a deity; he may or may not also take the stronger position that *there is no god*. If he does, that implies that such a thing is theoretically knowable--so he'd be a gnostic atheist. I do not consider the existence or nonexistence of god to be something that is theoretically knowable--I do not know how to square the idea of 'metaphysical' knowledge with a purely physical universe. Thus, I am an agnostic atheist.

In the grand scheme, the only thing stunning about American religious statistics is how non-atheistic this benighted country continues to be in year 2017. Seattle's atheism/agnosticism percentages are ridiculously low for a place that's reputedly a bastion of atheism/agnosticism.
Last sentence is true. In England for example, atheism is so common that I assume someone is irreligious until told otherwise.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Portland is low on religion. Denver too. Maybe there is a connection with blue areas.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,444,582 times
Overall, Austin isn't very religious, but those who are tend to go to inclusive, progressive churches. Still, there are a few fundamentalist mega-churches with multimillion dollar "palaces". While they serve their members in the way their members want, they have little influence in city policy making like they would in places in the deep South.

I'm in the central city, and literally no one on my street attends a church. However, when I lived in the burbs, a lot of my neighbors did. I don't think any of that is surprising.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In the link, the graphic puts Birmingham in Mississippi instead of Alabama. Perhaps they should study geography a bit more and the Bible a bit less?

Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,676,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Portland is low on religion. Denver too. Maybe there is a connection with blue areas.
Its not that the blue areas (New England, PNW, Denver, Upstate NY, etc) are not religious, its that we believe that God doesn't care if someone is gay, where people go to the bathroom, or if you bake someone a gay wedding cake. In blue areas, I meet very religious people, but they're not in my face and they don't talk to me about taking the Bible literally. Its personal, its not something to be mixed with government. Its less judgmental here.

Likewise, if an atheist gave me a hard time for BELIEVING in GOD, I would be equally turned off. We live and let live in most of the Northeast.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 AM

3,191 posts, read 2,639,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Richmond VA looks like it would be a counter to this.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:09 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would guess that Pittsburgh is a pretty Catholic city. Chicago is also very Catholic, and while it's not in-your-face religious, you'll find a good chunk of the population attending Mass/church services on Sunday.

The fast food restaurants offering fish during Lent is nothing new. They've been doing that forever. Maybe if you're not Catholic you wouldn't notice or maybe it doesn't happen in the less Catholic parts of the country. As a Catholic who grew up in the DC area, and have lived in Philly, Michigan, and now Chicago, fast food places in all those areas have always offered fish specials during Lent.
Pittsburgh is one of the most Catholic major cities in the United States. Like Chicago, it's not overbearingly religious, but a lot of people go to church on Sunday.

As for fish specials at fast-food restaurants, I'm pretty sure they have it everywhere, or almost everywhere. Just yesterday, I bought two fish sandwiches at Arby's for $5, and I live in the Atlanta/Athens area of Georgia. Athens has two Catholic churches, one of which is affiliated with the University of Georgia. Every other church in town is Protestant.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 PM

7,814 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I know the south is the most religious area in the country, and the west and northeast tend to be less religious. Just going to take a guess and say the most religious major cities are San Antonio, Memphis and New Orleans. While the least religious would be Denver, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Buffalo.
I think New Orleans has a very secular culture and is NOT part of the Bible Belt. Las Vegas is more religious than people give it credit for.

I'd sa the least religious are probably San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, and Washington DC.

In terms of MAJOR cities some of the more religious ones I've experienced are Charlotte, Richmond, Salt Lake City, and Oklahoma City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or