Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which side of town would you like to live in - North, South, East or West?
North 9 30.00%
South 7 23.33%
East 7 23.33%
West 7 23.33%
No preference, or Other 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:28 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times

Advertisements

It doesn't really matter to me since the entire city of Arcadia, CA is affluent and nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Generally, North and East are the more prosperous parts of metros, with the exception of the west coast (where west side is more prosperous than east side).

Las Vegas and Denver are exceptions to this as well due to geography (Vegas's west side is in the foothills of the Spring Mountains and Denver's west side being below the Dakota Hogback), and foothill neighborhoods are usually middle class or up
Another exception: Along the Gulf coast, the south side is always more popular, also due to geography and winds coming in off the Gulf. For instance, starting at southern Texas, S. Padre over Brownsville, North Padre over Corpus, Southern Galveston over northern Galveston, Clear Lake in Houston area, south Lake Charles, Youngsville in Lafayette area, Westminster Baton Rouge, New Orleans is another beast but until Katrina the West Bank which is actually east of the river was a popular area. Along MS/AL/FL Gulf Coast the general rule is the closer to the coast the better and because the arc of the Gulf, you end up having various configurations of each city orienting towards the coast.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
West. It's nearby, or on the Ocean.

I'm not on it but only about three miles by the crow flies to the water and I love it!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Generally speaking in the US the north/west side of town was preferred due to being cooler from prevailing winds which also blew air pollution south.
In the Deep South the prevailing winds are from the Southeast. For instance in Lake Charles, LA the industrial plants are in the Northwest part of town. The South part of town is most desired, being close to Gulf breezes.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In the Deep South the prevailing winds are from the Southeast. For instance in Lake Charles, LA the industrial plants are in the Northwest part of town. The South part of town is most desired, being close to Gulf breezes.

That's sort of why I said generally.

Away from the Gulf which way are the prevailing winds coming from?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's sort of why I said generally.

Away from the Gulf which way are the prevailing winds coming from?
In spring, summer, and fall the prevailing wind is usually from the Southeast although there are periods where it comes from the Southwest. In the winter after cold fronts it is due north or Northwest but that is not often. It never comes from the Northeast or due East but sometimes due West.

Here in Austin the wind has been from the north maybe 2-3 weeks all winter. In the summer it's either from the Southeast, South, or the Southwest. The most desirable areas of Austin are West but that's because of terrain mainly.

As you go further up north, the prevailing wind is more and more northerly. By about OKC it is mainly from the north all winter and spring and from the south in the summer and fall. By KC it is from the north in the fall, winter, and spring and southerly in the summer. The due south suburbs of KC (Overland Park, Leawood) are the most desirable parts of town so I would say that south of about the 35th parallel southern locations are favorable to northern parts of a city.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Another exception: Along the Gulf coast, the south side is always more popular, also due to geography and winds coming in off the Gulf. For instance, starting at southern Texas, S. Padre over Brownsville, North Padre over Corpus, Southern Galveston over northern Galveston, Clear Lake in Houston area, south Lake Charles, Youngsville in Lafayette area, Westminster Baton Rouge, New Orleans is another beast but until Katrina the West Bank which is actually east of the river was a popular area. Along MS/AL/FL Gulf Coast the general rule is the closer to the coast the better and because the arc of the Gulf, you end up having various configurations of each city orienting towards the coast.
I honestly thought Houston's south side was very impoverished and underdeveloped due to being a flood plain

Old 03-09-2017, 12:19 PM

1,265 posts, read 970,683 times
I thought most south sides of major cities were the ghetto side, I believe this is true for Dallas, Ft worth and Houston.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
I thought most south sides of major cities were the ghetto side, I believe this is true for Dallas, Ft worth and Houston.
New York City is an exception, if you consider Lower Manhattan, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Howard Beach and southern Staten Island to be their "south side"

Old 03-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I honestly thought Houston's south side was very impoverished and underdeveloped due to being a flood plain
That's not true at all. In general the East side of Houston is impoverished because of being in a flood plain (Pasadena). The North (Woodlands), West, Southwest, and Southeast are nice. Northwest is ghetto, Northeast is mainly landfills, East is petrochemical refineries.

This is what the Kemah boardwalk looks like (Kemah is Southeast of Clear Lake). Shades of Santa Monica pier here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5476...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5472...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Cities like Clear Lake Shores, TX have the highest percentage of boaters in the country. Here's the marina:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5502...8i6656!6m1!1e1

"Clear Lake Shores is a city in Galveston County, Texas, within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area. Clear Lake Shores is regarded as "The Yachting Capital of Texas", as the city has more boat slips than people. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,063."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Lake_Shores,_Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.