U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,445,032 times

Advertisements

I was at Austin's Bergstrom airport yesterday and was astonished at the area immediately outside of the airport. It looks like a war zone and is by far the worst airport area I've ever seen in the U.S.. While much of the city is really great, the airport area is shameful. I can't believe developers haven't bulldozed the entire stretch on the north side of 71 and put up nice buildings like in other cities next to airports.

What is it like next to the main airport in your city? Is there any that could possibly be as bad as what is immediately outside of Austin's airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,313,140 times
I've been to that airport a few times and don't recall seeing a "war zone", and when looking at the aerials around there I also can't see what you're describing....unless you're referring to the mobile home parks.

The airport I'm most familiar with is MSP (Minneapolis-St. Paul), which is surrounded by neighborhoods and the confluence of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers. The n'hoods that surround MSP are mostly pretty nice, working-class hoods. There is one small section of apartments that's a little sketchier than the rest of the area, but it's mostly pleasant. The suburb of Richfield also borders the western edge of the airport. Those n'hoods are also working class and mostly well-kept, but I guess it'd be fair to say that this section of Richfield is probably seedier than the other areas of the city.

All in all, there isn't a strong correlation between crime/blight and proximity to the airport. However, you also aren't likely to see many million-dollar mansions lining up next to the airport either.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM

774 posts, read 840,526 times
For both of DC's airports, they are good. Potomac Yards, just to the south of DCA (Reagan) is among the hottest places to live, while Crystal City and Pentagon City are fine urban developments that are important job and living centers for the region. Dulles is situated just to the west of Herndon, north of Chantilly, and south of Asburn, all solid middle-to upper-middle class suburbs.

Baltimore is just about as good, though it gets a little seedy (similar to the example with MSP as described above) to the North and East, though its mostly just older midcentury housing stock, although its considerable more blue collar than the areas to the south , with newer 1960s and up development along with many more business parks and the Arundel Mills area.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:44 AM

605 posts, read 466,961 times
Most major airports are either going to be in the middle of nowhere or are going to be surrounded by industrial/office parks and/or poor/working class neighborhoods, since no one with a lot of money wants to buy a house that is affected by jet noise on a regular basis. The only exception I can think of is the area around the Anchorage airport which actually has some nice homes close by.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,286,906 times
The closest community to SW FL Airport in Ft Myers is Gateway and that's one of the finest communities in the area. That said, we're parallel to the runways, so we don't get much noise.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Phoenix's airport is in a bad neighborhood, though is separated from it

Old 03-08-2017, 12:07 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Most major airports are either going to be in the middle of nowhere or are going to be surrounded by industrial/office parks and/or poor/working class neighborhoods, since no one with a lot of money wants to buy a house that is affected by jet noise on a regular basis. The only exception I can think of is the area around the Anchorage airport which actually has some nice homes close by.
Actually, I grew up in a pretty affluent area right next to one of the busiest airports in the country, JFK. It took about 10 minutes to drive to the airport, but the runways were right on the other side of some swamps and parkland. I just mapped it as the crow flies, and the house I grew up in -- which hasn't been sold since we moved out 25 years ago but Zillow estimates as being worth just short of a million dollars -- is about a mile away from the closest runway. There were jets overhead constantly. They would buzz my high school's football field all the time. It didn't bother me as a kid because it was all I knew, and honestly, it still doesn't bother me much.

I now live in Rhode Island, where the small airport is surrounded by consistently middle-class neighborhoods. Having lived in the JFK-adjacent area; a nearby neighborhood that wasn't quite as close to the airport but still pretty close; a neighborhood in Queens that's popular with pilots and flight attendants because it's right between both the local airports; and a neighborhood in Rhode Island four miles down the road from the airport (literally -- my address and the airport's address had the same street name), my current place is really the first one I've ever lived in where you don't hear airplanes often.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,242,969 times
Quote:
The area just west of the runways at John Wayne Airport here in Orange County are actually pretty affluent neighborhoods. Planes take off directly over Newport Beach's wealthy back bay neighborhoods but there are curfews and local regulations. For instance, no flights between 11pm and 7am, and planes have to take off at a steep angle to quickly make it up 1000', then they turn the engines down. It always makes the plane drop a little and people who don't know the airport freak out whenever the pilot doesn't warn the flight.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM

467 posts, read 410,511 times
Quote:
I've lived in two Metro areas (Kansas City and Philadelphia) and both are examples of what you describe. Kansas City has its airport in the middle of nowhere. It is a long drive from anywhere. Philly's airport, on the other hand, is surrounded by horrendously ugly Oil Refineries and other heavy Industry. Fortunately, however, it is a relatively quick drive to get downtown from PHL.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 PM

406 posts, read 288,144 times
The closest NYC airport to me (JFK) is in an okay area. It's surrounded by Far Rockaway and South Jamaica (not so nice) and Howard Beach/Five Towns on Long Island which are both fine.

Last edited by tman7117; 03-08-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or