U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

Curious your thoughts on good, perhaps overlooked, metro areas for a young professional. Likely going to finish a professional degree within a year and need to get out of Utah. Salt Lake City (my lifelone hope) has a lot of great things going for it (reasonable cost of living, scenery, etc.) but dating has been a nightmare -- especially for a guy in his early 30s.

Any suggestions of cities to consider looking for jobs in? I prefer to stay in the west, but at this point, anywhere that has relatively sane people (i.e., no racist towns, etc.) Tornadoes are scary (IMHO).

My gut would take me to the suburbs of Los Angeles, (or perhaps Portland or Seattle), but the cost of living is really getting out of control. I lack confidence that I could support myself there, even on a professional salary, even for a few years. On the flip side, I don't want to end up in a town with *no* dating opportunities.

You thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by LifelongUtahn; 03-08-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
There are a lot of sane people east of Utah and quite frankly would forget about the cities millennials are flocking to and concentrate more on established cities with more diverse singles populations in terms of age. Check out the Baltimore-Washington corridor or Philadelphia where unmarried women outnumber unmarried men in a ratio around 122-100.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
It is old, but it may give an idea of where to look: The New, Interactive Singles Map.

A newer map: Singles Maps 2015 Edition – Overall and normalized for population | Martin Prosperity Institute

Where There Are More Single Men Than Women - CityLab

Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifelongUtahn View Post
Curious your thoughts on good, perhaps overlooked, metro areas for a young professional. Likely going to finish a professional degree within a year and need to get out of Utah. Salt Lake City (my lifelone hope) has a lot of great things going for it (reasonable cost of living, scenery, etc.) but dating has been a nightmare -- especially for a guy in his early 30s.

Any suggestions of cities to consider looking for jobs in? I prefer to stay in the west, but at this point, anywhere that has relatively sane people (i.e., no racist towns, etc.) Tornadoes are scary (IMHO).

My gut would take me to the suburbs of Los Angeles, (or perhaps Portland or Seattle), but the cost of living is really getting out of control. I lack confidence that I could support myself there, even on a professional salary, even for a few years. On the flip side, I don't want to end up in a town with *no* dating opportunities.

You thoughts are appreciated!
I'd look in the Midwest. There are plenty of nice metro areas that are affordable (or at least more affordable than California or Seattle), have progressive vibes and plenty of young professionals.

-Chicago being the largest and most obvious option in the Midwest. There are plenty of young educated professional and I'd imagine there be a substantial amount of people in their 30's that are single. Downsides are the winters and for the Midwest it's expensive.

-Columbus, Ohio fits your description to a t. Progressive, affordable, lots of young professionals. It really just depends on how big of a city you want. Columbus is a nice mid-sized city that is growing rapidly and but feels like a large town if you compare it to Chicago which is a huge bustling metropolis.

If you are looking to go further east then check out Philadelphia or Baltimore.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:19 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I'd look in the Midwest. There are plenty of nice metro areas that are affordable (or at least more affordable than California or Seattle), have progressive vibes and plenty of young professionals.

-Chicago being the largest and most obvious option in the Midwest. There are plenty of young educated professional and I'd imagine there be a substantial amount of people in their 30's that are single. Downsides are the winters and for the Midwest it's expensive.

-Columbus, Ohio fits your description to a t. Progressive, affordable, lots of young professionals. It really just depends on how big of a city you want. Columbus is a nice mid-sized city that is growing rapidly and but feels like a large town if you compare it to Chicago which is a huge bustling metropolis.

If you are looking to go further east then check out Philadelphia or Baltimore.
I am 32 and recently lived in Columbus at the age of 31, forever single also. It's a decent place to live. Nothing too special though. Overall, it is affordable, but don't be fooled....if you want a *nice* apartment in the urban core of the city, it isn't cheap. But for your purposes, it should be fine and you will find something. Jobs are plentiful and the metro area overall has a very new, clean vibe to it. The city itself is spotty though, so be careful with certain areas, particularly east and just northeast of downtown.

Chicago is probably the superior choice though, if you can afford it. Nonstop flights to and from Chicago are far more plentiful than they are from and to Columbus though.

Both cities are certainly progressive, even though Ohio is now a red state.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:36 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
I just saw Chicago was tops in the country (or close to it) in the number of single people. A full 50% of adults in the city were single individuals.

Hence why the population numbers have been coming down so much, the persons per household in the city is drastically lower than it was 50 years ago. Every city is that way, but Chicago is a bit extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or