U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times

Advertisements

Of course, because it is a part of the broader Midwest. If broken down further, there are 5 Great Lakes states. People outside of this forum don't think about that, though. Most people have lives, and don't spend time ruminating about what region a state is in....let alone, care what region it's in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM

870 posts, read 752,706 times
I think there is such a thing as social geography and most people have a strong, even if nebulous and unthinking, sense of what region they live in. If I asked my officemates here in Detroit to define what region we are in right now, they would all have fully formed concepts of what that region is and how it is constituted. Some would, doubtlessly, identify more strongly with the Great Lakes as they play into a number of dynamics (I have many coworkers who are from, have lived in or have relatives in Chicago and Cleveland) whereas others would fall into the census definition reflexively and still others would have more nuanced concepts both exclusive and inclusive.

The point is that pretty much all of them would agree that the area from Youngstown to Madison, broadly speaking, was part of the Midwest, which is why it is relevant for the thread's topic.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:59 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
And how do coasters put down the interior Northeast?

They call it the Midwest. Western New York happily takes it and says "yeah thanks ya snob" but Pittsburgh replies with "noooo! Pls let me in club "
Not true. They don't call it the midwest, they just say the same terrible things. Hick, poor, rundown, boring, flyover country, stupid, etc.

The only places out here the snobs respect are places like Cornell, which is full of the same snobs; typically from the coast.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Not true. They don't call it the midwest, they just say the same terrible things. Hick, poor, rundown, boring, flyover country, stupid, etc.

The only places out here the snobs respect are places like Cornell, which is full of the same snobs; typically from the coast.
I guess the "snobs" aren't really very smart, then, are they? Anyone who resorts to stereotyping an entire region of people, needs some serious enlightening.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I guess the "snobs" aren't really very smart, then, are they? Anyone who resorts to stereotyping an entire region of people, needs some serious enlightening.
I agree. I generally despise willful ignorance.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,847,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

I have met some coastal types though who did call it Midwestern. We can just leave it at that. Certainly some are members of C-D. Midwestern status to people from the coastal Northeast and Mid-Atlantic is a sort of insult.

Though it seems the worst thing to be called is "Southern". I definitely wouldn't want to be called Southern. Then again I am from Chicago so there's the whole geography thing.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:55 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,394,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
And of course the Great Lakes states were once the Northwest territories.
Before that they were simply a part of the territory of the Original Thirteen States ceded by Great Britain in 1783.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:18 AM

No one associates anything English with the Great Lakes for some reason. Probably because major ports and cities were established after the American Revolution. However the region certainly has a lot of history involving British land disputes and ordinances. I remember being up in Mackinaw Island and learning about the British claims and at the time wondering what the heck Britain had to do with Michigan. Well apparently a lot. But I think most people from the Great Lakes feel no ties to the old country considering most of our ancestors came not from Britain. But I certainly think Great Lakes culture was more English influenced than people realized. Nowadays people think of the Great Lakes and associate it with ethnic Whites but I think if we take a time frame and measure the years of English influence vs years of non-Anglo influence, it comes out heavily in favor of English. The non-Anglo influence mostly started in the 1950s anyway. I would say the non-Anglos who had the biggest lasting influence on the region were the Irish.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:59 AM

172 posts, read 91,229 times
I don't know anyone in MSP who considers themselves anything but northerners. I never called myself a Midwesterner.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I don't know anyone in MSP who considers themselves anything but northerners. I never called myself a Midwesterner.
Funny thing is that here in Louisville, maybe 35% of people consider themselves Midwestern but would agree that Minnesota is the North. They differentiate between the Midwestern culture and the Northern culture. To them, Midwestern is more like Midland (Cincinnati and Indianapolis and yes even Louisville) but Northern is like Chicago, Detroit, and MSP.

Growing up, the Midwest was just simply the inland North. Whatever wasn't a coastal state or part of the 13 colonies was considered the Midwest. The Ohio River was the dividing line. West of the Mississippi it got confusing since some of us believed Missouri was in the South but Iowa was Northern. Then once you got to Kansas we just didn't even assume it existed or had significance but did consider it the Midwest. To us the South was anything below the Ohio River or Virginia. Missouri was debatable. We thought Oklahoma could be Southern and that Texas was as well. Kentucky was Southern and Virginia and up were New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or