U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico210 View Post
What about Texas?
Not super familiar but it seems the further West you go that people have less of a Southern accent. Which makes sense because the culture gets less Southern. I don't know if Dallas has any Southern accent or ever did. Seems more like a Plains city to me but I am not super familiar with Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,463 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Reputation: 23228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm from the South. People in the South ask me where I'm from because I don't have a Southern accent to them. But when I was out in Monterey for a conference last month, several complimented me on my charming Southern accent. Everything is relative.
Probably because your southern accent is not the same as their southern accent, not because it's not southern. My daughter went from memphis to east tennessee and people always ask her where she's from, because she doesn't sound like she's 'from around here' and they don't recognize her accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 11:04 AM
 
5,452 posts, read 2,294,635 times
Reputation: 16438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Probably because your southern accent is not the same as their southern accent, not because it's not southern. My daughter went from memphis to east tennessee and people always ask her where she's from, because she doesn't sound like she's 'from around here' and they don't recognize her accent.
Likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Probably because your southern accent is not the same as their southern accent, not because it's not southern. My daughter went from memphis to east tennessee and people always ask her where she's from, because she doesn't sound like she's 'from around here' and they don't recognize her accent.
Yup. Just like how people up North define a "Northern accent" based on what they know. Someone from Chicago may say they talk normally but someone from the central portion may sound Southern to them. Then someone from Central Illinois hears a Chicago accent and they think it sounds like Minnesota or Boston.

Similarly I live in Kentucky and people here call their own accents "Ohio Valley" and not Southern even though they do have drawls and not everyone in the Ohio Valley has the same accent (compare Pittsburgh's unique accent to the Philly influenced Cincinnati accent to the Louisville Southern drawl). All different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHamptonIII View Post
Im from Columbia, SC, and my parents are from South Carolina, their parents are from South Carolina and their parents are from South Carolina. People outside the South have been surprised that I was from South Carolina. Do people actually think the South is like it is in movies where everyone has an accent?
what proof can you offer that any of the people you claim are from South Carolina really are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 01:46 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,826 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what proof can you offer that any of the people you claim are from South Carolina really are?
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This is true. I have dealt with Southerners who were ex-cons and they still referred to others as Mister or Missus as well as referring to those in authority as Sir or Ma'am.

That said the only parts of the South where Southern accents don't exist are as follows:
Atlanta (sounds more Midwest)
Charleston (young folks sound like Midwesterners, old folks sound like a weird West Indian dialect)
Savannah (sort of like Charleston)
Baltimore (sound like hicks but without a drawl)
DC (sound like nothing)
Charlotte (sounds kinda Midwest)
Jacksonville (see above)
New Orleans (sounds like a Northeast hybrid accent)

Other than that, I have noticed most areas of the South still have strong accents even if people aren't aware. I swear Southerners love to act like because they don't use Southern expressions that they don't have accents. That's not really how it works.
Yeah no. I can absolutely guarantee you I sound just like people my age from Charlotte and Charleston and I am from Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHamptonIII View Post
What?



Yeah no. I can absolutely guarantee you I sound just like people my age from Charlotte and Charleston and I am from Columbia.
I have no reason to doubt you. If you personally don't have an accent then whoopdeedoo. My own personal experiences shows me that where I live, Southern accents exist amongst most all youth. Why make a thread pretending to speak for all Southern young affluent people? Does the accent bother you that badly? Move North and people won't expect your accent. Yeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 03:05 PM
 
172 posts, read 91,004 times
Reputation: 188
In the urban areas, yes. Everywhere else? Not really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
Some do, some don't. Don't look down on people because of how they talk. Many of my college professors have noticeable accents and pretty much all of them, even my Chinese stats professor from last fall, say "y'all."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
It's relative. I've heard different types of southern accents. What southerners share more in common is manners. Yes mam, no sir, please, thank you, may i. You are out of place if you don't use them occasionally with daily interaction. I'm not saying to your parents, but to regular folks you deal with daily, waitresses, salesman, co workers and supervisors, etc. Not so common in other parts of the country. I always enjoy when people use manners.
My boyfriend, born and raised in Texas, may not have the typical country southern accent, but listening to him speak it won't take long to find out he's from the South. He says "yes ma'am, no ma'am" says "y'all" more often than "you guys," is very polite. One of his quirks though is he pronounces "feel" like "fill" and "real" like "rill." I find it weird that up north, women are offended by being called "ma'am." Thats just common politeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top