U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2017, 06:28 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,826 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Im from Columbia, SC, and my parents are from South Carolina, their parents are from South Carolina and their parents are from South Carolina. People outside the South have been surprised that I was from South Carolina. Do people actually think the South is like it is in movies where everyone has an accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585
I live in Louisville and am originally from Chicago. The affluent young people there who are natives definitely have Southern accents.

I have had people tell me in Southern accents that they don't have a Southern accent. This has led me to conclude that Southerners have no idea what they sound like. But that's fair because according to most people who don't study linguistics, nobody seems to have an accent if you ask them personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 PM
 
1,652 posts, read 791,638 times
Reputation: 1640
It's relative. I've heard different types of southern accents. What southerners share more in common is manners. Yes mam, no sir, please, thank you, may i. You are out of place if you don't use them occasionally with daily interaction. I'm not saying to your parents, but to regular folks you deal with daily, waitresses, salesman, co workers and supervisors, etc. Not so common in other parts of the country. I always enjoy when people use manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
It's relative. I've heard different types of southern accents. What southerners share more in common is manners. Yes mam, no sir, please, thank you, may i. You are out of place if you don't use them occasionally with daily interaction. I'm not saying to your parents, but to regular folks you deal with daily, waitresses, salesman, co workers and supervisors, etc. Not so common in other parts of the country. I always enjoy when people use manners.
This is true. I have dealt with Southerners who were ex-cons and they still referred to others as Mister or Missus as well as referring to those in authority as Sir or Ma'am.

That said the only parts of the South where Southern accents don't exist are as follows:
Atlanta (sounds more Midwest)
Charleston (young folks sound like Midwesterners, old folks sound like a weird West Indian dialect)
Savannah (sort of like Charleston)
Baltimore (sound like hicks but without a drawl)
DC (sound like nothing)
Charlotte (sounds kinda Midwest)
Jacksonville (see above)
New Orleans (sounds like a Northeast hybrid accent)

Other than that, I have noticed most areas of the South still have strong accents even if people aren't aware. I swear Southerners love to act like because they don't use Southern expressions that they don't have accents. That's not really how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 11:26 PM
 
87 posts, read 57,063 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This is true. I have dealt with Southerners who were ex-cons and they still referred to others as Mister or Missus as well as referring to those in authority as Sir or Ma'am.

That said the only parts of the South where Southern accents don't exist are as follows:
Atlanta (sounds more Midwest)
Charleston (young folks sound like Midwesterners, old folks sound like a weird West Indian dialect)
Savannah (sort of like Charleston)
Baltimore (sound like hicks but without a drawl)
DC (sound like nothing)
Charlotte (sounds kinda Midwest)
Jacksonville (see above)
New Orleans (sounds like a Northeast hybrid accent)

Other than that, I have noticed most areas of the South still have strong accents even if people aren't aware. I swear Southerners love to act like because they don't use Southern expressions that they don't have accents. That's not really how it works.
What about Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,795 posts, read 11,765,661 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico210 View Post
What about Texas?
I live in West Texas right now.. I'd say 1/3 of the people have no accent, 1/3 have a slight accent that you would only notice if you're paying attention or talking to them for a long time, and 1/3 have a pretty distinct accent that you would pick up right away.

I hear that accents are more more common in East Texas than West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Reputation: 11213
This is true anywhere in the United States. Accents become much thicker the lower you go on the socioeconomic ladder, whether in Boston, Oakland, Georgia or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHamptonIII View Post
Do people actually think the South is like it is in movies where everyone has an accent?
It used to be. The South has changed THAT MUCH. My older southern (highly educated) relatives all have a deep accent. With each generation, the accent gets more Northern all because of the influx of transplants over the last 20 years. I only consider the True South to be the Delta region. The rest of the South, especially the East Coast, has become a Northern Suburb. The loss of accent has zero to do with education and everything to do with migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:46 AM
 
5,452 posts, read 2,294,635 times
Reputation: 16438
I'm from the South. People in the South ask me where I'm from because I don't have a Southern accent to them. But when I was out in Monterey for a conference last month, several complimented me on my charming Southern accent. Everything is relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 AM
 
483 posts, read 276,997 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
It used to be. The South has changed THAT MUCH. My older southern (highly educated) relatives all have a deep accent. With each generation, the accent gets more Northern all because of the influx of transplants over the last 20 years. I only consider the True South to be the Delta region. The rest of the South, especially the East Coast, has become a Northern Suburb. The loss of accent has zero to do with education and everything to do with migration.
Completely agree. Also I find it ridiculous to refer to "the South" in any sort of homogeneous way. Oklahoma is going to be different from Alabama which is going to be different from North Carolina. Just for a set of random examples. Accents and dialect are just a part of those differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top