U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Another thought: Oakland
Oakland is the answer, but we'd like to keep it a secret. Shhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 01:01 PM

3,752 posts, read 3,857,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
100K for a family of 3 doesn't go so far in a Park Slope like neighborhood in the major coastal California cities. It's doable, but Denver would probably provide something a lot more confortable.
It doesn't even go far in Park Slope itself...unless they already have a house bought outright or some kind of other unique living arrangements.
Supporting a family of 3 while renting in Park Slope on 100k sounds like a struggle.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 PM

22,165 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It doesn't even go far in Park Slope itself...unless they already have a house bought outright or some kind of other unique living arrangements.
Supporting a family of 3 while renting in Park Slope on 100k sounds like a struggle.
True, I said that it doesn't go far for a Park Slope like neighborhood in California, but it also doesn't go very far in Park Slope or much of NYC for that matter. There are some California cities with neighborhoods that are "like" Park Slope in some vague respect where this could work. Not so much the major coastal cities, but I can see some part of Sacramento maybe working with "like" Park Slope being more about being in a somewhat nice white collar neighborhood that is at least somewhat walkable.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 PM

448 posts, read 153,947 times
I've lived in Park Slope and am from the San Diego area. For future reference, I would never again trust the opinion of someone who compares Chula Vista to Park Slope.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 AM

6,981 posts, read 14,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I've lived in Park Slope and am from the San Diego area. For future reference, I would never again trust the opinion of someone who compares Chula Vista to Park Slope.
Reposting. For emphasis.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 PM

939 posts, read 399,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpsmom View Post
We currently live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) but are looking to relocate - preferably to an area very similar in culture but without the snow. While we're looking at Denver and Miami, (both of which we've lived in before) we'd also like to consider California. We're looking to narrow our search to cities that are very walkable, are family friendly (we have a toddler and I'm a SAHM), and bonus points for proximity to the coast or a national park.

We've been told to look into Berkeley, Chula Vista, Santa Clarita, Huntington Bear, Santa Rose, Santa Cruz, and possibly Monterey or Big Sur. Any insight into these, or other suggestions (preferably within central/Southern California) , greatly appreciated.

Income would be around 100K. Thanks in advance.
Have you considered Portland, Oregon? There are some neighborhoods near downtown that may not be too far off (obviously nothing outside of NYC is going to be as urban as Park Slope, but I'm assuming you're accounting for that.)

Portland is walkable, family-friendly , has great restaurants and bars, and is close to the coast. Some neighborhoods to consider are NW 23rd/21st, the Pearl District, the area around the South Park blocks. A little less urban but still very walkable are Hawthorne/Belmont, Division, Alberta, Mississippi, and several other areas.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 AM

3 posts, read 1,072 times
Follow up to my question above. What about park slope vs Santa’s monica vs south Pasadena vs SF to raise a family, have a chic walkable areas, good public schools.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 AM

6,981 posts, read 14,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdk1209 View Post
Follow up to my question above. What about park slope vs Santa’s monica vs south Pasadena vs SF to raise a family, have a chic walkable areas, good public schools.
If you want real city life, Park Slope can't be matched anywhere. SF would be second, but I wouldn't recommend it as a place to raise a child. If you want a more suburban environment with a walkable downtown area Santa Monica and South Pasadena both work, but then it comes down to budget and preference. Average home price in Santa Monica is $1,722,200 while it's only $1,189,400. Comparatively, South Pasadena is a bargain lol. South Pasadena is much further inland so it's warmer in summer, less touristy, and is easier for access to DTLA for jobs and stuff. Santa Monica doesn't get as warm, is more touristy, and is better for job access on the westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.