U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 10,049 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) but are looking to relocate - preferably to an area very similar in culture but without the snow. While we're looking at Denver and Miami, (both of which we've lived in before) we'd also like to consider California. We're looking to narrow our search to cities that are very walkable, are family friendly (we have a toddler and I'm a SAHM), and bonus points for proximity to the coast or a national park.

We've been told to look into Berkeley, Chula Vista, Santa Clarita, Huntington Bear, Santa Rose, Santa Cruz, and possibly Monterey or Big Sur. Any insight into these, or other suggestions (preferably within central/Southern California) , greatly appreciated.

Income would be around 100K. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 AM

483 posts, read 422,137 times
Some neighborhoods in SF (say, Noe Valley) are probably the only real areas very similar in culture to Park Slope. Of course, they're as expensive as Park Slope too. Really, for places that are very walkable and have similar culture, you need to stick to the big cities. The places you listed are way more small town or primarily tourist destinations. I guess Berkeley and Huntington Beach come the closest. But if you are really looking for a west coast Park Slope, start with thec cities. As I said, SF is the most similar, then LA and Oakland, then San Diego, then maybe Sacramento.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:20 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Santa Cruz is beautiful. I've been there a few times. It's great in its own ways, but nothing at all like Park Slope Brooklyn.

I was also going to suggest looking somewhere in SF like the poster above. It's really the only place in CA that can come close to Brooklyn in walkability. Cost of living will be very similar to what you're used to, so no issue there.

Plus there are lots of amazing national parks near the Bay Area. Hands down some of the best natural scenery in The US.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 10,049 times
All very helpful, thanks! I guess in terms of walkability, I really just need a neighborhood with low crime and a grocery store, park, and possibly library within walking distance. So, if a small town has a neighborhood that fits the bill that is fine by me. We wouldn't mind a slower pace. By culture, we really just are looking for a progressive community that is family-friendly.

With that said, I'll jump over to the California board to get more info on SF/SD neighborhoods.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 AM

992 posts, read 576,934 times
Santa Monica definately comes to mind.
Other LA neighborhoods that meet your criteria are Venice, Westwood, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Beverly Grove, WeHo, Hollywood, NoHo, Burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Los Feliz, Miracle Mile, Silver Lake, Echo Park, South Pasadena, Glendale, Highland Park, Pasadena, and Long Beach.

Last edited by Western Urbanite; 03-15-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
100K for a family of 3 doesn't go so far in a Park Slope like neighborhood in the major coastal California cities. It's doable, but Denver would probably provide something a lot more confortable.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,063 times
Hi @anotherpsmom- did you ever relocate?
I’m in SF and considering park slope or south Pasadena.
Anyone have any insights on which they prefer and why?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:38 AM

6,955 posts, read 14,084,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdk1209 View Post
Hi @anotherpsmom- did you ever relocate?
Iím in SF and considering park slope or south Pasadena.
Anyone have any insights on which they prefer and why?
If you want to stay urban, go Park Slope. If you want a SFH with a yard and driving more often, go to South Pasadena. You can take the Gold Line into DTLA, but it's far more car-dependent than Park Slope or many areas of SF.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 AM

2,469 posts, read 2,852,962 times
I would definitely say SF... certainly from my one visit, Pasadena, esp its downtown core, has its Park Slope-ish moments in terms of old architecture, walk-ability and urban feel. Having the Gold Line LRT into downtown LA/Union Station (as a subway mostly) also adds to the feel.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:12 AM

84 posts, read 45,718 times
Another thought: Oakland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.