U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 02:40 PM

299 posts, read 159,128 times

Advertisements

In Texas (DFW), for the longest time is was mostly Illinois, New York, California, Florida, New Jersey and Alaska. Currently, the Alaska and New Jersey plates have been replaced with Georgia and Oklahoma. The main difference this year compared to previous years is the wide variety. Heck I was walking around the neighboring apartment complex and saw 2 Oklahoma's, Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska, Washington, Minnesota, Florida, and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 03:20 PM

211 posts, read 477,740 times
In Illinois, I see a lot of Minnesota license plates. Michigan too.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:29 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
In Texas (DFW), for the longest time is was mostly Illinois, New York, California, Florida, New Jersey and Alaska. Currently, the Alaska and New Jersey plates have been replaced with Georgia and Oklahoma. The main difference this year compared to previous years is the wide variety. Heck I was walking around the neighboring apartment complex and saw 2 Oklahoma's, Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska, Washington, Minnesota, Florida, and Arizona.
Oklahoma borders Texas.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
The Baltimore area

1. PA ( by far)
2. NJ
3. Virginia
4. NY
5. DC

Old 03-13-2017, 09:16 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
NC is a big one. Ok, technically we border it but that's up in the mountains. Most people are coming from at least 2 hours out of the state on I 85. Charlotte is 3.5 hours away from Atlanta. The rest of the more populated areas are all past that.

I see a lot of northeastern plates. New York and New Jersey, Maryland, etc.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
NC is a big one. Ok, technically we border it but that's up in the mountains.
Well, if you want to get technical, all states on your border are technically border states. Even if it is a mountainous border.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,462,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Here in Michigan I have noticed quite an influx of New York plates in recent years, even in the smaller towns. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Also lots and lots of Florida plates, but then I know that the vast majority of them belong to snowbirds who are from here originally and live here for half of the year.

Living within half an hour of Ann Arbor I am sometimes amazed at how far people drive to bring their kids to school at the University of Michigan, because I have seen plates on campus from as far away as California and even Alaska.

Living in a peninsular state, outside of Ann Arbor you don't see a large variety, since no one needs to drive through here to get anywhere but here or Canada. It's not like Ohio, for example, that has the Ohio Turnpike that carries scores of east/west travelers from many different states passing through on their way across the country.
I was going to remark that for Michigan, it depends on whether you consider Illinois to border Michigan or not, because they would obviously win if they didn't count.

Otherwise I have no idea. There are plenty of states within about a 10-14 hour drive with significant populations. We pretty much see all of them, along with the giants of Florida, Texas, and California.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM

425 posts, read 293,281 times
In Kentucky, it depends on what Interstate I am on. Kentucky borders a lot of states, so besides those, the non-bordering states I see the most include in no particular order... Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Alabama, Arkansas and Texas. I also see a lot of Arkansas and Texas plates when travelling through Western Kentucky on the parkways. I am surprised by how many Wisconsin plates that I see, the residents must love to travel.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
If I have to limit it to states that don't border Georgia, the ones I see the most in the Athens area are Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri and Virginia plates. To a lesser extent, I'll see New York, Pennsylvania and Texas plates.

Last time I was in Pittsburgh, I saw a lot of Connecticut, Illinois and Virginia plates. To a lesser extent, I saw Florida, Michigan and Texas plates.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:10 PM

706 posts, read 513,188 times
I sometimes see Sonoran, Zacatecan, and Californian plates. ( I counted Sonora because it has no road connections with my state and only shares 11 miles of border)

I am surprised no one has noticed NM plates in their state. Usually they get New Mexicans pulled over in other states. "You got a green card, boy?", which is funny because the plates actually say "NEW MEXICO USA" on them.

Last edited by kehkou; 03-13-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or