U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:40 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I sometimes see Sonoran, Zacatecan, and Californian plates. ( I counted Sonora because it has no road connections with my state and only shares 11 miles of border)

I am surprised no one has noticed NM plates in their state. Usually they get New Mexicans pulled over in other states. "You got a green card, boy?", which is funny because the plates actually say "NEW MEXICO USA" on them.
It's impossible not to notice New Mexico plates. They're radiant ****ing yellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM

943 posts, read 413,948 times
I live in northern New Jersey and recently I've seen some Texas license plates in some suburbs and cities here.

I see too many Florida and New York license plates here all the time and recently, I am seeing more and more Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, California license plates. I see some North Carolina and South Carolina license plates. I've eye-caught two Washington state license plates only. I've eye-caught a few Georgia and Texas license plates. Also, in East Orange and in another town I saw a license plate that looks like those British-ruled countries' license plates. I only see Arizona license plates on U-HAUL trailers.

I can understand why the Garden State attracts so many out of staters. New Jersey has so much great shopping.

So here is a list of outside of New Jersey license plates I've seen from most to least occurred (1 being the most).

1. New York
2. Florida
3. Pennsylvania
4. Massachusetts
5. North Carolina
6. South Carolina
7. Ontario (Canada)
8. Texas
9. Georgia
10. California
11. Arizona
13. Washington
14. Oklahoma
13. International license plate not from US or Canada (unknown countries)

I read up on the Internet that people in New York City with Florida license plates are not really from Florida, because they pay for Florida car insurance, which is actually cheaper than NYC's car insurance. Not sure how true this is, so don't listen to me about that. I can assume that Ontario, Canada people are mainly visitors.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM

300 posts, read 159,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Oklahoma borders Texas.
Yeah, It's are neighbor, but the Oklahoma plates had disappeared for awhile and just recently started showing up again.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:12 PM

565 posts, read 564,206 times
California, even more than Oregon.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Neighbouring states: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana.

Non-neighbouring states: Kansas, Missouri, Georgia, Michigan, New York, Florida

for some reason I see a good amount of Oregon and Washington plates, even an Alaska plate once in a while.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
In Upper Michigan:

Minnesota
Illinois

Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,941,807 times
In AZ:

1) Texas
2) New York
3) Illinois
4) Ohio
5) Colorado

Old 03-15-2017, 12:07 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Here in the southern tier of west/central NY state I obviously see a ton of Pennsylvanians.

More to the actual question though (states which do NOT border NY). In my region it's a toss up between Ohio and Maryland.

Coming in next under those would be Kentucky, West Virginia, New Hampshire, and Virginia.

Most commonly seen Canadian plate is from Ontario followed closely by Quebec.

Most I see from far flung states are Texas and Oregon. For some reason Oregon is not uncommon to spot here.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
By that, I mean which State plates do you see most often that are from another State that does NOT border with your State?

In Washington, I am seeing a ton of Texas plates. Used to be California, but now Texas.
New York, Long Island.

Non-Bordering States:
Used to be Florida being #1 but I believe that Florida has been passed by North Carolina. After those two, I would say it is Maryland, Ohio, Virginia and Rhode Island (although technically RI and NY border each other). Less common is New Hampshire, Maine and Delaware. I have seen a number of New Hampshire plates at Universities here on Long Island.

Bordering States:
In order - New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Vermont, Ontario & Quebec. During the summer, Ontario and Quebec sightings increase ahead of at least Vermont.

Exotic States:
By exotic, I mean rare in New York. I have seen Hawaiian plates several times, which always stand out (how did you get here LOL). I have pretty much seen most states and provinces (New Mexico stands out with their license plate). I believe I have also seen Prince Edward Island.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:11 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,079,544 times
In Southern California, we see it all, but the ones that stand out to me as surprisingly frequent are New York, North Carolina, Illinois, Ohio, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Most exotic? A Dubai plate on a yellow Lamborghini cruising up the 405.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or