Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,448 times

Advertisements

We are retiring soon and would like to have a small parcel of acreage (1-5 acres) where we can have our six chickens, but still would like to be within walking distance/biking distance - figure a mile or less for biking, preferably 1/2 mile or less for walking - of a functional downtown. Quaint/cute with civic engagement would be a huge plus, but functional is more important (a place to get food, a small grocery for essentials, etc). We do have three cars, so we aren't looking to never need a car.

Budget is up to about $420k... we would, of course, prefer less if possible, but that is likely the max.

As for pie-in-the-sky desires: Open to pretty much anywhere in the country, though I would prefer to not have to deal with water scarcity issues if possible. Would also really rather not deal with feet of snow for six months, but again, willing to make exceptions for the right spot. Would love to have a big, worthwhile locally-sourced farmers market relatively close by.

Not sure where to start, or if this sort of thing even exists anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere, but be prepared to pay $$$ and have to look for a needle in a haystack. Think about it, if everyone in a small town had 1-5 acre yards, the houses wouldn't be close enough together to have a walkable downtown at all. By definition you're looking for that oddball property which wasn't infilled over a century ago with houses which were within easy distance of downtown.

Why would you need multiple acres for chickens? I know people who have housed that many chickens in a coop in an urban backyard.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Something like this is about the best I think you could do. A house on two acres in Brattleboro, VT. It's about a mile and a half into downtown Brattleboro from there though - about a 30 minute walk - which is more than you'd like. Getting a house closer in than that anywhere would either require some really odd property, or else a very small town.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
There are some homes just outside of some nice, quaint villages in NY that could fit, but I'm not sure what would be close enough. Snowfall would be a real issue, but it may depend on if the community fits what you are looking for.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere, but be prepared to pay $$$ and have to look for a needle in a haystack. Think about it, if everyone in a small town had 1-5 acre yards, the houses wouldn't be close enough together to have a walkable downtown at all. By definition you're looking for that oddball property which wasn't infilled over a century ago with houses which were within easy distance of downtown.

Why would you need multiple acres for chickens? I know people who have housed that many chickens in a coop in an urban backyard.

Thanks. That is what I figured, but came across this website and wondered if anyone on here had any thoughts on the matter.

As for the acreage, I don't need it for the chickens. We just would like to have a larger piece of property like we have now, just closer to town than we are now (and preferably with less snow than we have now. ) I would just need the area to actually allow chickens, as some areas don't - whether due to town ordinance or HOA ordinance or whatever.

We could just stay here in NY, but I suppose the gypsy in me wants to experience something new before we are too old to appreciate it. Our kids are grown and spread out in three different states, so not much holding us here.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:35 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppinjane View Post
Thanks. That is what I figured, but came across this website and wondered if anyone on here had any thoughts on the matter.

As for the acreage, I don't need it for the chickens. We just would like to have a larger piece of property like we have now, just closer to town than we are now (and preferably with less snow than we have now. ) I would just need the area to actually allow chickens, as some areas don't - whether due to town ordinance or HOA ordinance or whatever.

We could just stay here in NY, but I suppose the gypsy in me wants to experience something new before we are too old to appreciate it. Our kids are grown and spread out in three different states, so not much holding us here.
Hopefully, someone will chime in with locations in other regions that will fit the criteria. I think it is possible, but it may just be a matter of what you like.

I thought about Delaware, but I'm not too sure about what towns to zero in on.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
literally thousands of places that would allow you 1 - 5 acres within a mile of a small town's main street

Cambridge, Isanti County, Minnesota land for sale - 1.32 acres at LandWatch.com

Old 03-17-2017, 03:22 PM

707 posts, read 750,278 times
Sounds like the Barelas just south of downtown ABQ. They even farm there, and gentrification will never happen there.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:13 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
On the west coast, there's
Friday Harbor/San Juan Islands, Washington
Mt Vernon/Burlington, Washington
Anacortes/Whidby Island/Camano Island, Washington
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Port Angeles/Sequim, Washington
Newberg, Oregon
McMinnville, Oregon
Hood River, Oregon
Albany, Oregon
Corvallis, Oregon
Chico, California
Mendocino, California
Cambria, California
San Luis Obispo, California
Carpinteria, California
Ojai, California
Santa Ynez Valley, California
Fallbrook, California

Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM

Wow, I thought I was out of luck on suggestions... glad I checked my post!

Thank you to all for the great ideas - I will be checking all of them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.