U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times

Advertisements

What are the sounds of your neighbourhoods? Is it bustling with crowds of people and cars honking or is it more quite with birds in the morning, and crickets at night? Do you find it peaceful, annoying, meh?

I just moved to a new apartment in a different though not too far part of town and one thing I noticed just now is in both places when I'm outside particularly at night, is that I hear train horns. I've never really lived where you hear trains passing by. Its not SUPER loud or even annoying but its noticeable. In the old place I lived in, we'd also hear birds, crickets, cicacadas in the summer. Sounds I love. Occasionally we'd hear woodpeckers and some of my favourites, owls! Where I live now is an apartment complex, not so many trees so sadly I don't think I'll hear the suburban nature sounds of my old place. At least I don't have to listen to trashy neighbours fighting anymore, or a crazy guy shouting obscenities from his bike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:17 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,020,375 times
Cargo Trains
Police/Ambulance Sirens
Cars from the expressway about half a mile away.
Cars from busy streets a few blocks away,
Cicadas, birds, crickets in the summer.
Dogs barking,
sometimes people yelling.

And this isn't the most active neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Cargo Trains
Police/Ambulance Sirens
Cars from the expressway about half a mile away.
Cars from busy streets a few blocks away,
Cicadas, birds, crickets in the summer.
Dogs barking,
sometimes people yelling.

And this isn't the most active neighborhood.
How often do you hear the sirens? In the place I moved from we were a few blocks from the fire station so we'd hear the firetruck sirens on a weekly basis.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,455,776 times
At night there might be an occasional hoot from a Barred Owl, and that's about it. Our city of 60,000 is heavily wooded with large lots on a plateau about 400' above the elevation of the nearest freeways, 6-8 miles away. We are about a mile away and 200' above the main arterial across the plateau so don't hear traffic at all, and there isn't much anyway at night. The most noise we get is the faint sound of the football announcer on Friday nights in season from the 3 local high schools. During the day we may hear kids playing in a nearby Cul-de-sac, and a few cars go by at morning and afternoon commute times.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:43 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Lot's of music, voices, bikes riding by, cars, sirens, and occasional gun shots.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,863,395 times
Birds, cicadas, crickets, squirrels scolding from trees, occasional night sounds from possums or owl hoots...and lots of lawn-mowing trimming sounds in the summer months. But not at night or early in the morning. Pretty peaceful. I love it!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times
freeway noise,cars passing by my house or in neighborhood streets, sirens from emergency vehicles, and jets flying over.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:42 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Cargo trains that serve the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Richland, WA. Quite a few at-grade crossings near my location. I don't really dislike them, they tend to be comforting that all is well in the world when they wake me up, usually about the time I need to wake up!

Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,020,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How often do you hear the sirens? In the place I moved from we were a few blocks from the fire station so we'd hear the firetruck sirens on a weekly basis.
Couple times a day. I'm a mile from a Level One Trauma Center.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lot's of music, voices, bikes riding by, cars, sirens, and occasional gun shots.
Well that escalated quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or