U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:12 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,975,776 times

Advertisements

Upper Midwest...followed by Great Lakes region.

Minnesota this winter had a blizzard with 15 inches of snow (like the city I stayed in). I postponed my trip one day. Not even 24 hours after the storm I was driving on roads in Minnesota that had at least 10 inches of snow that were so well maintain it's like it never even snowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 PM

890 posts, read 443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Upper Midwest...followed by Great Lakes region.

Minnesota this winter had a blizzard with 15 inches of snow (like the city I stayed in). I postponed my trip one day. Not even 24 hours after the storm I was driving on roads in Minnesota that had at least 10 inches of snow that were so well maintain it's like it never even snowed.
Those are not mutually exclusive (e.g. Duluth, Green Bay)

Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,262,316 times
Upstate NY. Most of those tiny little villages own more snow removal equipment than many large cities in other regions in the country

Minnesota did a good job from my observations while I was there.

New England is okay; I do think that the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes area does better though.

Erie and surrounding area is kind of hit and miss. Some of the areas around it are on top of things and are running the plows the minute flakes start falling while other areas pretty much sit there and let a couple of feet of snow build up on road. ::

Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,417,408 times
Hawaii has no problems dealing with snow.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertransplant View Post
Many people have claimed here that upstate New York gets the most snow, thus they're the best at snow removal. I'm guessing most of those people have never been to (or even heard of) Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Rochester, N.Y. averages around 100 inches per year. Syracuse averages around 123.8 inches per year. I even saw a tiny town in upstate N.Y. that averages 177 inches per year.

To be fair, those are all very impressive totals. However, the Keweenaw Peninsula of the U.P. averages over 200 inches per year, with Houghton/Hancock coming in at an average of 218 inches per year. Calumet averages 202 inches per year, Copper Harbor averages 186 inches per year. Even Marquette averages 149.1 inches per year. In 2014 Hancock got 296 inches. In 1996 they got 328.2 inches. I didn't bother looking at particular years for Houghton, Calumet, and Copper Harbor. Again, the averages speak for themselves.

Any of you who have ever been to the U.P. are aware of the fact that roads are very rarely (if ever in some places) closed due to snow or ice up here.

I realize that the OP was asking about a region (in general) and not specific locations of regions. But that applies to those who are claiming that upstate New York gets the most snow in the country. That's simply not true and I have the numbers to back my claims. Google is your friend, people. I would happily post links but they will just be removed by a moderator. Again, you have Google at your disposal.

By the way, I'm well aware of the fact that many people don't like to recognize the U.P. because we're not a major population hub here. But the OP didn't specify that they were looking for the most populous regions that receive tons of snow and handle it well. Also, I feel it's important to note that Yoopers don't merely tolerate the cold and snow - we embrace it. Fat tire biking in -40 degree weather is HUGE here. So is downhill and x-country skiing, ice fishing, snowshoeing, street hockey, and other things. We LIVE for winter here in the U.P., while many people in other cold/snowy regions tend to tolerate it. I'm not nave enough to think nobody in those other regions are big fans of the cold and snow, but percentage-wise, I truly believe more Yoopers love the cold than people in most other areas.

Aw what the heck...I've seen others posting links. Here is mine:

http://www.cityofhancock.com/pictorials/162.pdf
There are parts of Upstate NY that rival those U.P. snowfall totals: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/weath..._new_york.html

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...fect/97842908/

Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 AM

4,246 posts, read 2,517,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertransplant View Post
Many people have claimed here that upstate New York gets the most snow, thus they're the best at snow removal. I'm guessing most of those people have never been to (or even heard of) Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Rochester, N.Y. averages around 100 inches per year. Syracuse averages around 123.8 inches per year. I even saw a tiny town in upstate N.Y. that averages 177 inches per year.

To be fair, those are all very impressive totals. However, the Keweenaw Peninsula of the U.P. averages over 200 inches per year, with Houghton/Hancock coming in at an average of 218 inches per year. Calumet averages 202 inches per year, Copper Harbor averages 186 inches per year. Even Marquette averages 149.1 inches per year. In 2014 Hancock got 296 inches. In 1996 they got 328.2 inches. I didn't bother looking at particular years for Houghton, Calumet, and Copper Harbor. Again, the averages speak for themselves.

Any of you who have ever been to the U.P. are aware of the fact that roads are very rarely (if ever in some places) closed due to snow or ice up here.

I realize that the OP was asking about a region (in general) and not specific locations of regions. But that applies to those who are claiming that upstate New York gets the most snow in the country. That's simply not true and I have the numbers to back my claims. Google is your friend, people. I would happily post links but they will just be removed by a moderator. Again, you have Google at your disposal.

By the way, I'm well aware of the fact that many people don't like to recognize the U.P. because we're not a major population hub here. But the OP didn't specify that they were looking for the most populous regions that receive tons of snow and handle it well. Also, I feel it's important to note that Yoopers don't merely tolerate the cold and snow - we embrace it. Fat tire biking in -40 degree weather is HUGE here. So is downhill and x-country skiing, ice fishing, snowshoeing, street hockey, and other things. We LIVE for winter here in the U.P., while many people in other cold/snowy regions tend to tolerate it. I'm not nave enough to think nobody in those other regions are big fans of the cold and snow, but percentage-wise, I truly believe more Yoopers love the cold than people in most other areas.

Aw what the heck...I've seen others posting links. Here is mine:

http://www.cityofhancock.com/pictorials/162.pdf
I mentioned this earlier in this thread but I've lived in 4 northern states and the place where school was cancelled the most was in the U.P. They talk a big game but then cower when the snow actually falls.

And M-28 closes fairly regularly.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,148,028 times
The south deals with it the best, by way of largely avoiding it. Long may they be blessed.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:25 PM

158 posts, read 111,595 times
I have to say Eastern Washington/Idaho are the best. I don't think ANYTHING short of an army of moblins https://www.google.com/search?q=Mobl...4GpX_uKNI9w2M:

would shut them down. Unless they get someone from the south in charge and makes everyone mad.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 PM

158 posts, read 111,595 times
Has it ever happened where a southern person is in charge of a northern district school system and overreacts to snow?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 AM

2,998 posts, read 4,704,749 times
Western NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or