U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you leave NYC/CHI/LA/SF
Cost of Living 29 82.86%
Crime 0 0%
Schools 3 8.57%
Lack of Land 1 2.86%
Family Reasons 1 2.86%
Noise, pollution 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,475,910 times

Advertisements

Other: job opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
I left greater LA mostly for cost-of-living and different weather. All of the other reasons had no bearing on it.

I've lived in Denver for the last 10 years. It wasn't expensive when I moved here. I bought at the right time. Natives/long-term residents are now leaving because of COL, and I'm sure it is scaring some prospective movers away as well.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM

686 posts, read 399,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
LOL, that makes you feel great doesn't it?
Because he's right?

And you live in DC. You should know how much of a revolving door that place is. Young people flock there, spend a few years, and grow tired of the traffic and insane COL.

I've met a crap-ton of people in Tampa who are either from that area or have lived there for a stretch. Every single one has said the same - that it was too expensive, and too crowded. A few didn't like the winters there, but they're a cakewalk compared to what they used to be.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I left greater LA mostly for cost-of-living and different weather. All of the other reasons had no bearing on it.

I've lived in Denver for the last 10 years. It wasn't expensive when I moved here. I bought at the right time. Natives/long-term residents are now leaving because of COL, and I'm sure it is scaring some prospective movers away as well.
If I could get in the wayback machine and do it over, I would have listened to my heart and gone to Denver in 2011, bought a house, and been swimming in equity. My best friend bought a little rambler in Englewood then. It's worth half a mil now; twice what he paid. And it's a POS!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 AM

10,779 posts, read 9,415,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
because he's right?
+1!

Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,476,631 times
Quote:
Because he's right?

And you live in DC. You should know how much of a revolving door that place is. Young people flock there, spend a few years, and grow tired of the traffic and insane COL.

I've met a crap-ton of people in Tampa who are either from that area or have lived there for a stretch. Every single one has said the same - that it was too expensive, and too crowded. A few didn't like the winters there, but they're a cakewalk compared to what they used to be.
COL is entirely dependent on who you're comparing. It is known that NYC and SF are considerably more expensive than Orlando. It's also known that Orlando is more expensive than Jackson, MS. This applies to Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Philadelphia as well. They're all "expensive" in comparison to Jackson, MS, but they're a hell of a lot more affordable than NYC, SF, DC, Boston, Seattle, Denver, etc.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 AM

556 posts, read 631,414 times
I lived in the Chicago area for 20 something years of my life. Once my company gave me the opportunity to work remotely, I was out! I moved out to Scottsdale 9 years ago and never looked back. It is much cheaper to live here and the weather is great. The long winters and endless cloudy/rainy days were very depressing for me.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
COL is entirely dependent on who you're comparing. It is known that NYC and SF are considerably more expensive than Orlando. It's also known that Orlando is more expensive than Jackson, MS. This applies to Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Philadelphia as well. They're all "expensive" in comparison to Jackson, MS, but they're a hell of a lot more affordable than NYC, SF, DC, Boston, Seattle, Denver, etc.
Uh yes, we know that.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Because he's right?

He had a prior post that people who left SF/NYC/LA were essentially not tough. It was abasurd. And his COL comment confirms his thoughts.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,476,631 times
Quote:
Uh yes, we know that.
That's why I'm saying the poll options are less than stellar, lol. COL is not an issue across the board for these places. NYC and SF are unjustifiably expensive. Los Angeles is expensive, but it's a level beneath NYC/SF. Chicago is expensive compared to Jackson, MS, but not so much when compared to Houston/Dallas/ATL/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.