U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,330 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the upper midwest and have lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota my whole life. I'm now in my mid-30s, no kids, and free of obligations, so I'm looking to relocate. I'm absolutely sick of the cold and the snow and need a new adventure, if nothing else. I work in IT and can move almost anywhere.

I've always loved coastal California and the Pacific Northwest and have always wanted to move there. I'm kind of worried about taking the plunge due to the housing costs. I'd be willing to have a roommate initially, but I would not want to live like that indefinitely. Is the west coast even remotely doable on one income these days? If not, what are other good alternatives?

What I'm looking for:

- No regular snow. Once in a while freak storms may be okay.
- Mild to hot climate. I do not mind very hot climates, but I'm not necessarily going out of my way to find them. I hate the cold.
- Things to do! I like to hike with my dog and get outside. I'm into music, art, design, architecture, theater, wine, and technology.
- Open minded people. I am at heart a pragmatic midwesterner, but I do lean more liberal on social issues. I am not religious and would prefer to avoid the Bible Belt.
- Dating, especially open-minded, somewhat liberal men with similar interests with no kids. This is a problem for me right now, as most of the single men in my age range (mid 30s to mid 40s) here aren't on the same page as me, are single dads, or both.
-No snow. Seriously, I could be perfectly happy never seeing snow again.

Would be nice:
- Ocean and/or mountains. The west coast has both, which is part of the appeal.
- Laid back lifestyle. I worked my way up from nothing. I've been through years of intense pressure to succeed. I am now looking to enjoy more of life.
- City life. In or close to a major metro, but I could go with a smaller city nearby if the vibe was right.

I'm trying not to be too picky. I've been to Austin and coastal NC, SC and GA and liked those areas, too. I've heard good things about Nashville, and there's always Atlanta, which I have actually liked as well. I just worry that the dating pool would be even worse there, as it seems like most people settle down and have kids early.

Is it worth it to take the risk for the west coast dream? Am I overly worried that I won't have anyone to date in other cities? Is there a city that would be a great fit that I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:01 AM

18,477 posts, read 9,561,235 times
Just go with Silicon Valley, excellent climate, king of IT, oversupply of male nerds.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:33 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
It sounds like your heart is on the West coast. Just go for it. I agree with the post above mine...Silicon Valley is perfect for you. It's everything you dream of except for the high cost of living, get a roommate.Make it happen.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Or Silicon Beach in SoCal.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:52 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Just go with Silicon Valley, excellent climate, king of IT, oversupply of male nerds.
...and live in a used RV that park where you can with the other nomad people who find that they can never seem to get in front of the housing market.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:14 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInstead View Post
I've heard good things about Nashville, and there's always Atlanta, which I have actually liked as well. I just worry that the dating pool would be even worse there, as it seems like most people settle down and have kids early.
I don't get the desire to live someplace where you work to live versus a city where it's more the opposite, especially if you like what they potentially offer. And as an FYI your "marry early and have kids" theory doesn't pan out given the demographics.

Nashville...Of the 44.4% of households that are non-families, 36.2% were individuals

Atlanta...Householder living alone 64,658 38.5% (individuals)

Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 AM

22,131 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Well, how much do you have saved up, and what does your occupation seem to pay in the various West Coast cities. So far, nothing you said seems undoable.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM

18,477 posts, read 9,561,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...and live in a used RV that park where you can with the other nomad people who find that they can never seem to get in front of the housing market.
An experienced IT professional should be able to make at least $150K/yr in SV so that should get better than an RV park.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,472,448 times
Of course it is possible in the west coast even in the LA area. Of course many people want to be in the best neighborhoods, walkable to many things, very safe, great schools for kids. There are many areas that dont fit those criteria thus have lower housing prices and rental prices.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,330 times
I have about $25k in cash and another $80k or so once I sell my house. I'm making $80k in Wisconsin, and it looks like similar positions in Portland, Seattle and various CA cities would range from $90-$130k. I'm qualified for a range of different types of positions.

I prefer smaller homes and don't like taking care of larger ones. In a low COL place, I would still try to buy a small house. I'd just have more left over afterward. I don't plan on having kids, but I do want to find someone.

I do realize that financially I'm better off staying put. I own a home in a gentrifying area with rising house prices and chronically low inventory. The COL isn't bad. I'm not happy, though. The economy is stable but stagnant, and the jobs and employers are boring. The first snow of the season was about six months ago, and I had to shovel again today. I hate cold and snow. Also, people think small here--I don't know a better way of putting that. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's the same mindset that's making me cautious about pulling the trigger to move, or it really is a terrible idea. My family can't comprehend ever moving, so they're not very supportive.

As for the numbers for Nashville above, I'm going on what I've heard from people who have lived there, along with Austin. I've heard that it's difficult to date there once you're in your mid-30s, especially if you prefer not to date someone who already has kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or