U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM

1,593 posts, read 831,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I know there are more than a few people who are under the impression that Tucson is growing fast because it's an Arizona city. 2010-2015 growth rate of just over 3% puts it behind several Midwest metros like Des Moines 9.35%, Omaha 5.77%, Madison 5.94%, MSP 5.25%, Grand Rapids 5.02%, Indy 5.35%, and Columbus 6.29%.
Wow I wouldn't have guessed Des Moines was growing that fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Some people seem to believe El Paso and Hidalgo county are growing fast because they are large-ish cities in Texas with Hispanic majorities (who do tend to have higher fertility rates). However, El Paso, which was recently surpassed by Hidalgo (I know it's called McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, but that's too long), has grown less than 5% and Hidalgo only by about 8 or 9% in the last five years.
I wonder if that has anything to do with proximity to Juarez. I've heard that Juarez is a crime-ridden hellhole these days, but I haven't heard anything bad about the Mexican cities in the lower Rio Grande Valley.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:08 PM

226 posts, read 207,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with proximity to Juarez. I've heard that Juarez is a crime-ridden hellhole these days, but I haven't heard anything bad about the Mexican cities in the lower Rio Grande Valley.
I spent 2 weeks in Juarez last summer with a friend waiting for his Visa. It was very suburban for the most part. The cartels have pretty much moved out and I felt very safe.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 PM

226 posts, read 207,241 times
The US embassy in Juarez is the busiest in the world.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,603,729 times
Quote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with El Paso's proximity to New Mexico? I say that because New Mexico has been growing very slowly in recent years...which is surprising to me considering all the states surrounding it are booming.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:42 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,603,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I know there are more than a few people who are under the impression that Tucson is growing fast because it's an Arizona city. 2010-2015 growth rate of just over 3% puts it behind several Midwest metros like Des Moines 9.35%, Omaha 5.77%, Madison 5.94%, MSP 5.25%, Grand Rapids 5.02%, Indy 5.35%, and Columbus 6.29%.
Yes.I wouldn't have guessed Tuscon is growing that slowly. Also I didn't realize parts of the Midwest are growing nicely...I would call those growing metros the "non rust belt" Midwest.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Quote:
That may be it. I know for sure that, even on CD, a lot of people assume El Paso, one of the safest cities of its size in the US, is dangerous because of its neighbor, which may keep people from moving there. Though, I think it's reputation of being boring keeps people away more. I do remember reading, however, that the violence in Juarez is, or was, actually feeding growth in El Paso because some people from Juarez prefer to have their homes on the safer side of the border.

The Rio Grander Valley probably suffers from being possibly the worse off part of the state, economically, as well as being both hotter and, iirc, drier than most of Texas, or at least where most people live in Texas.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 PM

266 posts, read 214,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Aren't most places with large Hispanic populations younger than average? Latinos have children, white hipsters not so much.
Mormon cities and Latino cities are the youngest, I believe.
My Utah Mormon buddy has told me that large Mormon families are going away in northern Utah, so the crazy growth rates that people were predicting in northern Utah probably won't happen. I remember seeing something like 5-6 million Utah residents by 2030. Utah is still growing quickly but not close to early projections.
Latino births are also dropping, but I don't think they'll be dropping off as much as Mormon births in the upcoming years.

Fresno metro/TV market is majority Latino with a large southeast Asian presence. The Asians in the Fresno area(Hmong, Viet, thai) breed like rabbits and more keep coming. Chinese are the
Latest to be flooding the area. Syrians are expected to be coming, too. With all the immigration, Fresno will stay young for quite a while

Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout0417 View Post
I spent 2 weeks in Juarez last summer with a friend waiting for his Visa. It was very suburban for the most part. The cartels have pretty much moved out and I felt very safe.
Well that's good to hear. I heard that the cartels basically ran Juarez for a while.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
Quote:
Well that's good to hear. I heard that the cartels basically ran Juarez for a while.
That's more or less the equivalent of assuming Michigans economy is bad. It was the stigma 10 years ago. It's been cleaned up since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.