U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,282,796 times

Advertisements

I find this idea of ranking or listing states on their "Americanness" as thoroughly repugnant.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 PM

369 posts, read 1,496,873 times
Overall, I believe Hawaii is the least "American" state. As far as the lower 48, I would say California. Alot of times it seems like California really wants to be its own country deep down.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 AM

151 posts, read 658,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
WHAT?!? California? I'm not the one to judge opinions, but are you blind? I'm not saying that just cuz I live here, I say it because it's probably one of the MOST American states in the union! We actually care about politics, civil rights, our constitution, electing presidents that can fix current issues, we have millions of immigrants living the American dream, millions of families who work for publicly traded fortune 1000 companies. we love fast food and have an infatuation with music, entertainment, and the automobile, in fact, we took part in popularizing all these concepts in such a superficial way. our fashion consists of simple t-shirts and jeans, another American concept.

it doesn't get more American then that!
I take what I said about California before back.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,318,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Overall, I believe Hawaii is the least "American" state. As far as the lower 48, I would say California. Alot of times it seems like California really wants to be its own country deep down.
I agree about California. What California does is not influenced by a region, or even the country, and California is the only state (to my knowledge) that (has the balls to) gives the finger to the Federal Government and do it's own thing.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 PM

127 posts, read 123,740 times
Of them all, Hawaii. Of the 48 contiguous I would agree and say California.California is very Californian and in that respect quite un-American. IMO, It's one of the few states that has a unique identity.

Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD WHAT?!? California? I'm not the one to judge opinions, but are you blind? I'm not saying that just cuz I live here, I say it because it's probably one of the MOST American states in the union! We actually care about politics, civil rights, our constitution, electing presidents that can fix current issues, we have millions of immigrants living the American dream, millions of families who work for publicly traded fortune 1000 companies. we love fast food and have an infatuation with music, entertainment, and the automobile, in fact, we took part in popularizing all these concepts in such a superficial way. our fashion consists of simple t-shirts and jeans, another American concept.it doesn't get more American then that!

Do you think many Americans actually care about "politics, civil rights, our constitution, electing presidents that can fix current issues, millions of immigrants living the American dream, millions of families who work for publicly traded fortune 1000 companies." That's what makes California Californian--It's sad but true, it's one of the few states that gives a damn.California loves LITE fast food. Last time I checked most Americans were overweight.Many states don't have as many celebrities in the music or entertainment industry living in their state, which makes it stick out from the rest of the American states.California is a great state, as I just showed, but it might as well be out in the Pacific with Hawaii.Now, I'm just tired of typing...

Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 PM

763 posts, read 3,224,949 times
Hawaii for having been its own country and being so far away.

New Mexico, Arizona for staying true to their Mexican roots and culture.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,318,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Hawaii for having been its own country and being so far away.

New Mexico, Arizona for staying true to their Mexican roots and culture.
staying true? Isn't that like saying New england states because they stayed true to their American culture? The original people of NM and AZ were Native Americans, not People of Mexican descent

Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,451,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
staying true? Isn't that like saying New england states because they stayed true to their American culture? The original people of NM and AZ were Native Americans, not People of Mexican descent
that is true,after the Natives came the Spanish and at that time New Mexico was still Mexico,but New Mexico stays true to all of those roots.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 AM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
WHAT?!? California? I'm not the one to judge opinions, but are you blind? I'm not saying that just cuz I live here, I say it because it's probably one of the MOST American states in the union! We actually care about politics, civil rights, our constitution, electing presidents that can fix current issues, we have millions of immigrants living the American dream, millions of families who work for publicly traded fortune 1000 companies. we love fast food and have an infatuation with music, entertainment, and the automobile, in fact, we took part in popularizing all these concepts in such a superficial way. our fashion consists of simple t-shirts and jeans, another American concept.

it doesn't get more American then that!
Yeah, I would actually choose California as the most American state. A lot of people consider California to be foreign just because it has so many people of other nationalities, but that's what America is all about - a melting pot. California is also the center of American culture, the rest of the U.S. eventually gets influenced by California.

As far as the most un-American state, I'll have to go with the other posts and say Hawaii. As for the continental U.S., I'll go with every other state besides California, j/k. That's a tough one. Texas seems like it's own country, and the other Southern states seem foreign despite how patriotic they are. Some northern states may look more Canadian than American. Parts of Southwestern states look like Mexico.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 AM

480 posts, read 799,264 times
FLORIDA!

That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or