U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,046,465 times

Advertisements

I go with a previous poster who said Afghanistan and Iraq. The feds give them much more of our tax dollars than any of the other 50 states and yet they are still unamerican.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 AM

114 posts, read 468,832 times
It's kind of ironic but I would say now-a-days the Northeast is the least American while the South is the most (its un-American not to support your government and President)

Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,282,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrytown View Post
It's kind of ironic but I would say now-a-days the Northeast is the least American while the South is the most (its un-American not to support your government and President)
I didn't realize that we no longer have the right to disagree with our government. I guess all that stuff I learned in Civics class about our Constitutionally-protected Rights was incorrect.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM

251 posts, read 633,902 times
Quote:
I think it's most un-American not to criticize our government.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,033,085 times
Kowtowing to authority and sacrificing our rights in the name of security is un-American.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,318,329 times
Quote:
The south is the most American because it supports government and president while they **** it up?!!!!!! Following blindly to government is the most unAmerican thing. I would however say that the south has the most American flag stickers and flag flying, but that certainly isn't American or patriotic no matter how much they think it is. This false sense of patriotism is just as unAmerican.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM

38 posts, read 213,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I'd probably say Hawaii, because a lot of people there want to secede from the union.

I dont' think there is any other state where a sizable part of the population wants to leave the USA. That is pretty un-American in my book.
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this had been mentioned already. Vermont has a pretty sizable population that would like to secede - they have a political party that received a pretty substantial portion of the vote in recent elections.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 AM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
The south is the most American because it supports government and president while they **** it up?!!!!!! Following blindly to government is the most unAmerican thing. I would however say that the south has the most American flag stickers and flag flying, but that certainly isn't American or patriotic no matter how much they think it is. This false sense of patriotism is just as unAmerican.
I think the reason why many people in the South are patriotic is for their identity to be a part of the United States, and to be accepted as such, because many other regions of the United States treat the Southern states as if they are foreign, especially by states such as California, New York, Illinois, etc., ones that are considered very American. For one thing the Southern states are unique and have their own culture, and in some cases their own language. A lot of their dialects are different from standard American English, and may create a language barrier between them and people from Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast states. Another thing is the time in history when the South wanted to secede from the Union during the Civil War.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,369,944 times
I was expecting more people to say Louisiana, with all the French culture.
They are the only state I know of with Parishes instead of counties too!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,133 times
Quote:
Is this a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or