Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I don't know about this one. I'm not sure of the history but I never knew Hialeah, pompano, Boca Raton, etc. to be of any major city significance. By all means, those cities function as a suburb or like a neighborhood of Miami etc. that exists simply because the official borders aren't as big. I think the best examples according to the theme of the thread is Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. They are mid-major cities that happen to get lumped in with Miami due to proximity, however they are distinct from Miami and each other. Really they almost serve as the capital/main city for each of their massive counties.

Hialeah is more like an extension of Miami. There's like literally no open land between it. Its just one side has yellow fire hydrants the other has white and red fire hydrants. You wouldn't even know you technically left Miami. Hialeah is more like an overgrown neighbourhood. If Miami had boroughs Hialeah would be the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Fort Worth, TX
St. Paul, MN
Vancouver, WA
St. Petersburg, FL
Baton Rouge, LA
Durham, NC
Not sure if Baltimore, MD would count with DC, never been there or that region. Baltimore is like Louisville, St. Louis, Cincinatti and Pittsburgh. Similar cities which are major US cities but get ignored in the national media or painted negatively.

Maybe Rochester, NY.

San Jose, CA

Old 03-19-2017, 04:58 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
I think Providence is probably the biggest one. Boston completely blankets it. Technically the Patriots for instance belong to Boston and Providence, and Foxborough is closer to Prov than Boston, but who really notices or cares? It's "Boston's" team.

Providence metro is over 1 million people but the city seems just so easy to forget being sandwiched between Boston and Hartford/NYC. And there's no real landmarks that come to mind that distinguish it. I'd bet quite a few Americans wouldn't be able to tell you what state Providence is even in, at least on first guess.

But what about Orange County? I know it's not a city, but Santa Ana, Anaheim, and Irvine are huge and could hold there own, but yet OC is basically lumped as one and is seen as LA's huge rich sprawling suburb. Like if someone said they were going to Disneyland, do you really think "Anaheim" or do you think "LA."

Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Fort Lauderdale isn't really a major city. St. Petersburg has far more people and its a better example as its overshadowed by Tampa.
Yeah this might surprise people who are unfamiliar with the area but St. Petersburg is basically the Brooklyn to Tampa's Manhattan. It's a crude analogy but it really works and that dynamic has given St. Petersburg its own identity.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I didn't know San Jose was bigger than San Francisco. Yet San Francisco and even Oakland get far more attention than San Jose. Nobody outside Northern California ever really talks about or thinks about San Jose much.

Gary, Indiana is a sizable city of its own that grew separately from Chicago.

I don't think Baltimore is overshadowed by DC, I think its an appropriate amount of attention for its size.
Gary is the size of a medium sized suburb, at best, even at its peak.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Hialeah is more like an extension of Miami. There's like literally no open land between it. Its just one side has yellow fire hydrants the other has white and red fire hydrants. You wouldn't even know you technically left Miami. Hialeah is more like an overgrown neighbourhood. If Miami had boroughs Hialeah would be the Bronx.
I think Hialeah is obviously and significantly different from Miami. Certainly the development in MiamiDade County is contiguous across most of its ~500 m2 of habitable area but that doesn't mean that the municipalities all feel the same. Hialeah is way more Hispanic than Miami (I bet you didn't think that was possible), has a working immigrant class culture and built environment and feels way less "American". That said, it's not a stand-alone sort of place and is clearly a suburb to Miami proper. It's one of the most politically conservative/Republican communities in the entire country...you know, Castro and all. It's been listed as one of the most "sober" cities too. There's a lot about it that is very different from Miami proper and many other cities in the county. For a very stark contrast to one of its immediate neighbors, look at the satellite view on Google maps and see how distinctly physically different Hialeah is from immediately adjacent Miami Springs.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Yeah this might surprise people who are unfamiliar with the area but St. Petersburg is basically the Brooklyn to Tampa's Manhattan. It's a crude analogy but it really works and that dynamic has given St. Petersburg its own identity.
I've been to Tampa but not St. Pete. I very rarely hear much about it even when I lived in Florida. However I've heard its a very artsy place with beautiful ocean views so maybe its worth checking out some day.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think Hialeah is obviously and significantly different from Miami. Certainly the development in MiamiDade County is contiguous across most of its ~500 m2 of habitable area but that doesn't mean that the municipalities all feel the same. Hialeah is way more Hispanic than Miami (I bet you didn't think that was possible), has a working immigrant class culture and built environment and feels way less "American". That said, it's not a stand-alone sort of place and is clearly a suburb to Miami proper. It's one of the most politically conservative/Republican communities in the entire country...you know, Castro and all. It's been listed as one of the most "sober" cities too. There's a lot about it that is very different from Miami proper and many other cities in the county. For a very stark contrast to one of its immediate neighbors, look at the satellite view on Google maps and see how distinctly physically different Hialeah is from immediately adjacent Miami Springs.
Yea its different from many parts of Miami, but compared to the western particularly northwestern part of Miami, its not that different. I grew up in the largely Hispanic (middle class Cuban) area of Miami so Hialeah never stood out as being uber different. The difference is more in economic status and the fact the area is more... gritty. Compared to downtown Miami or Miami Beach yea its loads different. Compared to where I lived its also different but not as contrasting. My point is that Hialeah doesn't really stand out as its own city. It is its own city by technicality, but it might as well just be large neighbourhood of Miami and thats how it functions. I believe Hialeah is the most populated US city without a single skyscraper, which is interesting.

Hialeah's reputation is being overwhelmingly Cuban (not even Hispanic, just flat out Cuban), being full of factories, warehouses, junk yards etc. and has a reputation of being trashy and ugly. People who live in the Miami area but not Hialeah definitely do not look at it with high regard. But a lot of Hialeah could fit in with suburban Miami. The same one storey stucco homes with orange roofs, the same motel looking apartment buildings, the same "carnicerias." The Miami neighbourhoods just look a bit nicer but without looking at fire hydrants, many times you can't tell the difference

Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
Quote:
I've been to Tampa but not St. Pete. I very rarely hear much about it even when I lived in Florida. However I've heard its a very artsy place with beautiful ocean views so maybe its worth checking out some day.
Artsy and hipstery but definitely overshadowed dramatically by both Tampa and Clearwater.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Tampa overshadows St. Petersburg, but that is changing somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.