U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Yeah not sure the amount of rain in the PNW would work for me. I'd could probably deal with it better than extreme cold though. I've have a cousin in Seattle and he says sometimes you have to wear sweatshirts in June....that sounds terrible
Could be problematic for you although that would be an exception, the worst for you would be much of the rest of the year.

It would be helpful if you could give your definition of affordable. Portland for me as an example was not affordable for me after nearly forty years of living there with the ever-increasing COL. But for others it's fine. So what are you looking for in expenses in the order of housing, food, utilities entertainment etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,509,701 times
San Jose, CA

Portland, OR

Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM

594 posts, read 487,873 times
Whatever city you choose do everything possible not to visit Phoenix AZ under no circumstances or you will be second guessing yourself for the rest of your life.
There is a reason why the area has grown like it has.
If you visit one time.....just one time and I guarantee it will be in your thoughts for the reminder of your life.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,649,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Whatever city you choose do everything possible not to visit Phoenix AZ under no circumstances or you will be second guessing yourself for the rest of your life.
There is a reason why the area has grown like it has.
If you visit one time.....just one time and I guarantee it will be in your thoughts for the reminder of your life.
Is that good or bad??? I honestly can't tell.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:25 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,443,293 times
Austin fits the bill for sure. If you can't afford it then San Antonio.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM

5,456 posts, read 2,843,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Nobody said Denver yet.
He said green trees and affordable.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:40 AM

5,456 posts, read 2,843,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So I'm still a young guy (23), just thought I'd list some things that are important to me.

Affordability is very important to me. Don't want to live somewhere where you can't afford anything.

Want to live in a metro area that's somewhere between midsized and semi-large ( probably not as big as NYC or LA)

I want to live somewhere that's at least a little laid back (been in D.C most of my life and the constant go go go is a little tiresome)

I have a strong preference to hilly scenery over flat scenery.

The greener and more trees the better in terms of scenery

Being within driving distance of good beaches isn't a must but it would be a nice bonus

I could tolerate flat scenery if it's green and near water

I DESPISE cold winters, I get seasonal affective disorder whenever high temperatures are below freezing for an extended period of time, don't get why some of you like the cold. I HATE IT

With that being said I would prefer living somewhere with some noticeable season. Leaving somewhere with great spring and falls but fairly mild winters would be ideal.

Hot humid weather isn't ideal by any means but I can tolerate it a little better than the cold.

Would love to be somewhere that's walk able (don't mind driving but I do love walking)

Also want some good parks and lost of green space.

Somewhere with unique culture and food would be ideal, although not a must.

Lastly and this isn't that important, I would love to be somewhere with good craft beer.
You need to give info about your line of work and what is affordable.

Lacking that info and only addressing the list of wants, maybe Roanake, VA or somewhere similar? It has been a long time since I was down there, but the climate, terrain, greenness, and seasons might fit.

New England's smaller cities might do, despite cold winters. Their winters actually get a lot of sunshine, unlike in the PNW. And walkability can be excellent, depending what town it is.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:46 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,098,682 times
Have you checked out Richmond VA?

I've been to Phoenix. I admit my thought was "why on earth do people live in this hellhole"

Old 03-29-2017, 11:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Nashville?

Old 04-06-2017, 03:06 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,649,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Nashville?
Yeah I've thought about Nashville. Only downside is it's kind of far from the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.