U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most Japan-like?
New York City 19 12.34%
Los Angeles 8 5.19%
Chicago 2 1.30%
Seattle 26 16.88%
San Francisco 21 13.64%
San Diego 2 1.30%
Honolulu 38 24.68%
Atlanta 3 1.95%
Other (specify) 2 1.30%
No U.S. city looks like Japan 33 21.43%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM

872 posts, read 3,271,909 times

Advertisements

Too dirty and too much crime for any American city to "look" like a Japanese city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM

52 posts, read 187,368 times
Honolulu for the people
New York for looks

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,837,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Too dirty and too much crime for any American city to "look" like a Japanese city.
Actually that's another similarity between San Diego and a Japanese city, the low crime rate.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 AM

263 posts, read 732,739 times
My cousin says Tokyo makes New York look like a picnic! Los Angeles has the largest Japanese population but the influence is not Japanese-like. Tourists, and UCLA is full of Asian people. The assimilation is practically complete.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM

196 posts, read 855,318 times
LA from the sky kind of reminded me Tokyo. Both are giant, sprawling metro areas. Both have relentless low-mid rise sprawl, with little open space, and pockets of commercial high rises spotted all over. Parts of LA have a similar size disparities as Tokyo, for instance: big commercial buildings along busy streets, with single family homes directly behind them. 8 lane freeways literally right next to houses, etc.

Newer areas of Japan dependent on auto transport actually seemed very similiar to American suburbs, particulary denser east/west coast suburbs. big box stores (ok not big like ours, but boxy anyway), parking lots, wide streets, etc. maybe that was the exception though? I believe it was part of Chiba.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,200,407 times
I honestly don't think NYC looks anything like Tokyo. I've flown between the two cities and I'm always struck by the differences. I've spent a lot of time in Asia and I think there are better comparisons to NYC.

Hong Kong in my mind reminds me a lot more of NYC than Tokyo ever does. I haven't really seen a city anywhere that really strikes me as being similar to Tokyo.

The closest thing to cities that look like Japan are places in Korea or Taiwan. This is only the case because both Korea and Taiwan were Japanese colonies prior to WW-II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanintokyo View Post
Honolulu for the people
New York for looks

Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,200,407 times
LA's density is nowhere near as high as Tokyo's, I find the comparison to be a little bit of a stretch. Even New York can't compare to Tokyo's density. This is mainly because the Japanese are willing to make due without much room, so you can pack more apartment buildings and homes onto smaller lots.

Also most side streets in residential neighborhoods of Tokyo don't even have sidewalks so this allows city planners to pack the buildings in more densely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
LA from the sky kind of reminded me Tokyo. Both are giant, sprawling metro areas. Both have relentless low-mid rise sprawl, with little open space, and pockets of commercial high rises spotted all over. Parts of LA have a similar size disparities as Tokyo, for instance: big commercial buildings along busy streets, with single family homes directly behind them. 8 lane freeways literally right next to houses, etc.

Newer areas of Japan dependent on auto transport actually seemed very similiar to American suburbs, particulary denser east/west coast suburbs. big box stores (ok not big like ours, but boxy anyway), parking lots, wide streets, etc. maybe that was the exception though? I believe it was part of Chiba.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:16 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,684 times
There are lot of asians in Lexington, MA and San Francisco, CA

They are hard-working and contribute to society most in the race race according to TIME magazine.

I find the city of most Japan-like would be New York because of many large buildings and lights of grand character. However, many Japenese would agree with Dallas, Tx or Los Angeles, CA also as Japan-like.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 AM

263 posts, read 732,739 times
The best, most accurate view of Tokyo in film is the movie "Lost in Translation". When she looks out the window of her high rise hotel room, it's just one huge mess out to the horizon. Nothing else quite like it.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 AM

9 posts, read 18,971 times
Las vegas because of all the lights. Cuturally, I would say San Fran. I think its more chinese than anything though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.