U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Generally it's not the people who want to go 15 over the speed limit who are the root of problems on the Interstates. More of this "lawlessness" stems from people who are ignorant to the norms of staying in the right lane except to pass, who inexplicably slow down when they are actually passing, etc.
I-94 in Michigan has signs that say "Keep Right Except To Pass" It's amazing how many drivers have no clue what this means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 08:55 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Worth noting is that Pennsylvania is the only state in the U.S. that legally forbids local police from running radar.
Does this also apply to laser?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
1) I-70 Glenwood Canyon Colorado. From Eagle to Glenwood Springs, this is the single best stretch of the entire interstate highway system I have yet driven on. I do not know if anything more beautiful exists. Maybe someday I will find some stretch of interstate that approaches it.
Definitely gorgeous. IF it's not undergoing continuous pot-hole repair, roadwork, repaving, rockslides, blizzards or accidents. Those do let you enjoy the scenery if you're not in a hurry.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,429,314 times
Can't say too much about interstates outside the northeast. There's a 295 in Maine which has a dull stretch and a nice one-- the dull is the older part right along Casco Bay where the two roadways are right alongside each other. In the newer stretch after Brunswick the 'carriageways' are more separated by intervening landscape and the road rolls with the landscape. Makes the driving much more pleasant. Something like that on 84 in Connecticut, only the part through Southbury east a few miles until you're approaching Waterbury. There's a sinuous quality that makes the driving nice. I like 87 in New York-- not near the city but from the Woodbury toll north. I-90 not so much, any of it. There's a wild stretch of route 1-- would have been 95 but it was never completed so they rerouted 95 onto SR 128 and this is just Route 1; anyway, the part from Saugus in through Revere and Chelsea and over the Tobin Bridge-- Rough surface, narrow, not to standard, but big wide urban views, crazy curves, and then the ascent over the bridge with big water views. Fun if you're doing it at some off hour, never fun for commuters I'm sure.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,547,356 times
My favorite interstate highway is I-49 from Van Buren, AR up to Fayetteville. The Boston Mountains of the Ozarks are wonderful.

Least favorite is any interstate in metro Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
I love Interstate 77 between Charleston, West Virginia and Charlotte. Extremely beautiful drive through the mountains with amazing views. Interstate 70 overall also but especially in Colorado and Utah.

Really hate I-495 which is the DC Beltway. Also Interstate 55 through Mississippi can be kinda boring since its mostly flat and just cut through the forest and you don't even see much. I don't mind driving through open farmland in places like Kansas its more boring with just straight, flat and trees on both sides for miles and miles.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 PM

66 posts, read 24,513 times
Love
1. I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville specifically. Love the scenery on the drive and people seem more relaxed on that stretch of highway
2. I-65 from about Gary, IN to Nashville, TN. Very pleasant to drive through even with construction. People seem to be pretty good about keeping on the right lane if they are going slower. I don't know why, but maybe it is because I'm so used to having to even match half of the hectic driving Illinoisan drivers do on I90/94 that 65 is that much easier. Driving through Indianapolis and Louisville had to be some of the easiest larger cities I've personally driven through.

Hate
1. I-90/94 around Chicago especially from 35th to the Edens junction westbound. Nothing but a pure headache. People stay on the left lane until the very last second and then take the exit...very annoying. And on top of that it doesn't help when you have nothing but fast Illinoisan drivers on either side of you who still whiz by you before you can even turn your head to your left or right.
2. I-4 between Orlando and Tampa. It was always a nightmare to get on the Turnpike from here when I went on vacation in Orlando just last week. It seemed like every day I drove on I-4, there was a car crash. Merging is simply a nightmare. Even I have a much easier time to merge near Chicago on I-90/94
3. I-41
4. I-275 Tampa
5. I-85 N around Atlanta was the worst traffic I've ever been a part of. Yes, it was on the 3rd of July when everyone was pretty much heading back, but for 2.5 hours we barely moved half a mile at best. You'd have to wait at least 2 minutes just to move several feet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or