U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,701,001 times

Advertisements

Interstates were not built to be beautiful, they were built to be efficient and to move heavy volumes of traffic quickly. Actually, they were originally built to be easy access to move military equipment and population from atomic bombed areas. But that idea is now pretty much outdated.

Today, the purpose has been repositioned to serve metro areas and their suburbs, along with a consistent form of highway across the country. And to that, they have succeeded.

There is little to dislike about them, as in it is perhaps the best road transportation system in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM

3,544 posts, read 2,235,309 times
Definitely the 405 in Los Angeles which got it's name because it takes you "4 o' 5" hours to get anywhere on it.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 AM

992 posts, read 578,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I-5 between Portland and Salem, Oregon is very scenic. Its not hard for a highway to be scenic on the Pacific Northwest, though.
You think? I've always found that stretch to be a bland, agricultural valley, compared to nicer areas further north and south.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
You think? I've always found that stretch to be a bland, agricultural valley, compared to nicer areas further north and south.

I didn't see as much farmland as I saw a lot of pine trees. Thats what stood out to me. But I saw some extremely beautiful scenery on Christmas going from my in-law's home in Gervais to one of my mother in-law's uncle's farm on the outskirst of Salem. We took these country roads which were winding and going through amazingly beautiful pastoral scenery. Lots of green hills and trees. Beautiful little farms. I love agricultural scenery. Thats why I love driving through Kansas or Iowa. I'm a sucker for beautiful farm land. Especially winding roads with crops on the side, wooden fences and a good smattering of trees.

The route to Silver Creek falls from Gervais is also very pretty.

I believe the route we took to the relative's farm was Highway 214 if I'm not mistaken. It was very backroads, pretty scenery. Hills, farmland, nurseries, orchards.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,701,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I didn't see as much farmland as I saw a lot of pine trees. Thats what stood out to me. But I saw some extremely beautiful scenery on Christmas going from my in-law's home in Gervais to one of my mother in-law's uncle's farm on the outskirst of Salem. We took these country roads which were winding and going through amazingly beautiful pastoral scenery. Lots of green hills and trees. Beautiful little farms. I love agricultural scenery. Thats why I love driving through Kansas or Iowa. I'm a sucker for beautiful farm land. Especially winding roads with crops on the side, wooden fences and a good smattering of trees.

The route to Silver Creek falls from Gervais is also very pretty.

I believe the route we took to the relative's farm was Highway 214 if I'm not mistaken. It was very backroads, pretty scenery. Hills, farmland, nurseries, orchards.
I agree, the surrounding rolling hills between Portland and Salem are scenic. However, you don't really see any of it on I-5. It is a long, mostly straight run from Wilsonville (just south of Portland), to Salem. In addition, from Salem to Eugene it is mostly flat with some minor elevation changes just south of Salem.

Most beautiful view Interstates? I can only speak for the West..perhaps I-5 in Northern California with closeup views of Mt. Shasta. I-70 over the Rockies in W. Colorado offer nice views, as does I-90 between Butte and Bozeman, MT.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 100,253 times
I-70 manages to be both my most favorite and least favorite.

The ~500 mile portion from I-15 in Utah to Denver is an awesome drive with tons of beautiful desert/mountain views. After passing through Denver it becomes intolerable since KS/MO/IL are incredibly flat and boring (never been past IL on I-70, but I'm assuming it's just as bad to the east).

Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,115,072 times
Love and hate 80. Takes you straight across the country but can be jam packed bumper to bumper if you're anywhere near a city.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 PM

1,590 posts, read 2,019,046 times
I have only traveled on the entirety of a handful of interstates. My favorite stretches are I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver, I-19 from Tucson to the international line, I-8 from Yuma to San Diego, I-15 from Las Vegas to St. George, I-80 across Pennsylvania, I-24 in Kentucky and north Tennessee, I-81 from Hagerstown, MD to southern VA, and I-10 from the CA/AZ line to the coast.

Would say worst stretches include I-55 in northeast Arkansas, I-70 through Illinois, and I-39 in northern IL and southern WI.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,427,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post

The ~500 mile portion from I-15 in Utah to Denver is an awesome drive with tons of beautiful desert/mountain views. After passing through Denver it becomes intolerable since KS/MO/IL are incredibly flat and boring (never been past IL on I-70, but I'm assuming it's just as bad to the east).
I've been a passenger while driving I-90 E, from Chicago to DC. IIRC, parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania are a lot more interesting than my home state of Illinois. I'm not sure of which interstate we had to take to drive south to DC.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,574,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post

Once 70 hits West Virginia, it becomes very hilly and windy once again. It's a dangerous stretch of road from Wheeling, WV to New Stanton, PA (was built in the 50s and hasn't been updated since).

The drive through Pennsylvania is gorgeous IMO, particularly in the Laurel Highlands and through Somerset, Bedford, and Fulton counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or