U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I've been a passenger while driving I-90 E, from Chicago to DC. IIRC, parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania are a lot more interesting than my home state of Illinois. I'm not sure of which interstate we had to take to drive south to DC.
You can do 65 from Gary to Indiana and then take 70 in Indianapolis that will take you to Frederick, MD. I just did the turnpike thing through Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Never again. I spent nearly 100 dollars on those toll roads. Ridiculous. Especially PA turnpike. Next time, I'll take 68 to West Virginia, then take 79 up to either 76 in Pittsburgh or 80 and then take Ohio Turnpike and Indiana turnpike. I will say that the drive on PA Turnpike between Breezewood and the PA/OH turnpike is fun to drive on with those curves and mountains through Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Once 70 hits West Virginia, it becomes very hilly and windy once again. It's a dangerous stretch of road from Wheeling, WV to New Stanton, PA (was built in the 50s and hasn't been updated since).

The drive through Pennsylvania is gorgeous IMO, particularly in the Laurel Highlands and through Somerset, Bedford, and Fulton counties.
I-70 is being reconstructed and modernized in western Pennsylvania. It involves a series of projects that will take about a decade to complete, but work is being done nonetheless. The biggest undertaking will be eventually replacing the Speers/Belle Vernon Bridge, which is not suitable for Interstate traffic. That's why they're starting with the segments from I-79 east to PA 43, and PA 51 east to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,575,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I-70 is being reconstructed and modernized in western Pennsylvania. It involves a series of projects that will take about a decade to complete, but work is being done nonetheless. The biggest undertaking will be eventually replacing the Speers/Belle Vernon Bridge, which is not suitable for Interstate traffic. That's why they're starting with the segments from I-79 east to PA 43, and PA 51 east to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
I'm well aware they are reconstructing it, but IMO it will take longer than a decade.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
I like any interstate that at least 3 lanes wide and hate any interstate that's surrounded by nothing but trees, trees, and more trees - and the occasional row of billboards. I get bored easily.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Interstates are generally dull and boring but a necessary element in our transportation mix. I can't say I find them lovable or have a strong feeling one way or another. I generally avoid the interstate in my city and find that alternative routes suit me better. The visible transition from one ecosystem or terrain to another is interesting if you drive across the country. My favorite example is driving west out of the Texas panhandle on I-40 into New Mexico. I hate anything it would be driving I-70 across Kansas and eastern Colorado. At least there is High Plains Public Radio.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM

17,686 posts, read 4,076,675 times
I love I-10 in Texas,New Mexico and Arizona.I love I-20 in Texas.I also love I-37,I-8 and I-25.I-40 is cool in the western states too.I do not like I-40 from OKC to Arkansas though.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,301,141 times
I love driving on I-5 from OC to San Diego. Heck, I liked driving the whole I-5 freeway in California. Add in I-80 from Sacramento to the end of the Bay Bridge.

I hated I-80 between Reno, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah. Nothing but the same boring scenery for the entire trip. Also, I hated driving on the 880 between Oakland and San Jose. Most of the trip, it's nothing but brick walls lined up on the edge of the freeway. Next time I go to Great America, I'll take the 680.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,701,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I love driving on I-5 from OC to San Diego. Heck, I liked driving the whole I-5 freeway in California. Add in I-80 from Sacramento to the end of the Bay Bridge.

I hated I-80 between Reno, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah. Nothing but the same boring scenery for the entire trip. Also, I hated driving on the 880 between Oakland and San Jose. Most of the trip, it's nothing but brick walls lined up on the edge of the freeway. Next time I go to Great America, I'll take the 680.
Really? I-5 from Grapevine to Stockton? That has got to be the most boring freeway trip in the country! Now I will admit it gets better in NorCal, but not until you get up to Redding.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,301,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Really? I-5 from Grapevine to Stockton? That has got to be the most boring freeway trip in the country!
I enjoyed every minute of that trip. Try driving on I-80 from Reno to Salt Lake. Nothing but the same boring desert that makes you want to gouge out your eyeballs.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:18 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
They aren't called "the 17" outside of California. It's just 17 or I-17
Thank you! That is a dead giveaway that somebody is from California and it's so freaking annoying! Just call if I-whatever people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or