Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Except for the paranoia you are stuck in because of the most aggressive state troopers in America.
Damn them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Except for the paranoia you are stuck in because of the most aggressive state troopers in America.
Virginia has the most backwards speed laws in the United States. What they consider "reckless driving" (80 MPH), other states consider the speed limit. Radar detectors are illegal, and you can be pulled over by unmarked cars as well.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Hate: Interstate 95 especially in Connecticut and New York. It's way to crowded and Connecticut is thinking of widening it which could make it worse due to construction delays.

Love: Interstate 5 in Washington when it I drove through back in the 90's. The scenery was beautiful but I'm sure it's gotten more congested which would put it in the "hate" column.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Virginia has the most backwards speed laws in the United States. What they consider "reckless driving" (80 MPH), other states consider the speed limit. Radar detectors are illegal, and you can be pulled over by unmarked cars as well.
I got pulled over in Virginia for doing 90 in a 70 when i was doing 75. A chromed out Chevy Impala unmarked car pulled me over on I-81. My attorney said its a speed trap nightmare. The thing that pissed me off the most was that he wasn't even stationary. I was driving in the right lane going 75 and he did at least 100 in the left lane from a couple miles behind me when he was only a speck out in the distance. I won the case by having a dashcam that labeled my speed. The trooper gave me a lesson about "safety" after he went 25mph faster than me . Make sure you document your entire drive especially if you're an out of state driver because you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent as the courts almost 100% always take the troopers word over your own.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Agreed 100%. In PA, 80 is the average speed of the traveling public on most interstates that aren't in a congested area.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Hate: Interstate 95 especially in Connecticut and New York. It's way to crowded and Connecticut is thinking of widening it which could make it worse due to construction delays.

Love: Interstate 5 in Washington when it I drove through back in the 90's. The scenery was beautiful but I'm sure it's gotten more congested which would put it in the "hate" column.
I would put it in my "hate" category. Not sure what specific sections you drove, but between Vancouver, WA and Seattle, it is a nightmare. Tons of truck traffic, but that exists almost everywhere. Three+ lanes of traffic in both directions, except for a 22 mile section just south of Chehalis. Not sure if that is on the list to expand. From Olympia to Seattle it is a roll of the dice. Tacoma can be a severe bottleneck, but anywhere north of Olympia can be. Beauty? Well, occasionally some nice views of Mt. Rainier, but brief. Otherwise, typical Evergreen forest, which I guess can be called beautiful, though I never considered that.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Agreed 100%. In PA, 80 is the average speed of the traveling public on most interstates that aren't in a congested area.
Worth noting is that Pennsylvania is the only state in the U.S. that legally forbids local police from running radar. Only the state police can. As a result, Pennsylvania's highways tend not to be as heavily patrolled as they are in many nearby states. The state police are not nonexistent in Pennsylvania, but they alone can't cover the highway mileage that local and state police cover in other states. Here's hoping that Pennsylvania remains the exception to this rule and doesn't cave in to the demands by local police to run radar, or you'll see several pointless podunks try to cash in.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Dislike: I-25 through Denver, from Lincoln Avenue to Ft Collins.

Enjoy: I-70 westbound from Genesee through Glenwood Springs to the Utah line. Disclaimer - On the few days a year there's no construction or ski traffic.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:48 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
The section of I-77 that winds through West Virginia will make you pull your hair out. It's not that it's ugly, it's actually pretty scenic. It's the G forces and constant inclines and declines and twisting terrain that take their toll. After driving the length of WV you feel like you just ran the Indy 500 only surrounded by semis and having paid not one, but three, tolls on the almighty West Virginia Turnpike. A large sign at the end of that designated stretch actually has the audacity to proclaim, "Thank you for traveling the West Virginia Turnpike!" As if you had a choice...

Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The section of I-77 that winds through West Virginia will make you pull your hair out. It's not that it's ugly, it's actually pretty scenic. It's the G forces and constant inclines and declines and twisting terrain that take their toll. After driving the length of WV you feel like you just ran the Indy 500 only surrounded by semis and having paid not one, but three, tolls on the almighty West Virginia Turnpike. A large sign at the end of that designated stretch actually has the audacity to proclaim, "Thank you for traveling the West Virginia Turnpike!" As if you had a choice...
My favorite climb is the one from Camp Creek (Exit 20) to Flat Top (Exit 28), going northbound. You go nowhere but up for eight miles, and the summit on the highway itself is more than 3,300' above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.