U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,448,358 times

Advertisements

I love I-45 between Houston and Dallas. The southern part of that drive is rolling southern pine forests, and the center part of the drive is oak forests. The northern part of the drive is rolling grassland. Except when you're close to Houston or Dallas, it's remarkably uncluttered and mostly very pretty, although the northern stretch closer to Dallas gets a little boring. Most of the 250 mile drive is quite nice.

I absolutely hate I-35 between San Antonio through Austin and up to Dallas. It's 300 miles of horrendous traffic and construction. Something like 11 million people live along that stretch of I-35. It's once city after another, and it's hard to find nice, uncluttered land along the route. I usually avoid I-35 and take alternate highways to preserve my sanity.

Overall, I prefer the interstates and other highways in the west, especially in states like Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and especially Utah. The other states in the west are great, too. If you like forests, eastern Texas and points east and northeast are great. But if you like mountains and broad unobstructed vistas, the West is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,448,358 times
Forgot to mention parts of I-10 from Houston to El Paso (something like a 12-hour drive). From Houston to San Antonio, most of it is green and rolling with a lot of trees (except for where the old rice fields were between Katy and Columbus). From San Antonio northwest to Junction is a couple of hours of beautiful hill country, which I love. From Junction on west to El Paso, there are long desolate stretches, but there are also a number of visible mountain ranges in some areas. But it doesn't compare to Arizona, Utah, and the other real western states.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM

66 posts, read 69,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I hate I-4 and I-95 also! I love I-85 through Virginia between Richmond and the NC state line. It seems like you're driving through a forest in some areas with the northbound and southbound lanes split by densely wooded sections. Also I-81 south from Front Royal VA south through the Shenandoah Valley offers some beautiful vistas.
Aw man I hate the I-85 in southern Virginia. Although it does feel like you are driving through a forest, to me it seems boring until maybe south of Petersburg. Lets not forget the state troopers haha. I do absolutely love I-95 through Richmond that is probably my favorite. I also love H-3 in Hawaii.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 AM

34,712 posts, read 33,740,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoble7 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I do a lot of traveling and sometimes get nervous on Interstates. There were some freeways I hated, ( I-4, I-95) and loved ( I-71, I-80). Anyway, what Interstates do you love and hate. Interstates ONLY.
Hate - I-495 (Washington DC) crazy driving, crazy traffic pattern, crazy entering and exiting, lots of accidents. I-95 east coast (tolls), I-10 and I-5 (California) too much traffic all times of the day.

Don't really LOVE any Interstate but I-81 as it goes through Virginia is fine although I don't hear good things about it in Pennsylvania. Not fond of I-40 in North Carolina but it's okay in Tennessee.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM

814 posts, read 939,655 times
I inherently dislike most Interstates, as they are, by design, meant to keep you from actually experiencing anything you're driving through for the sake of speed. That being said, there are some that rise to a certain level of enjoyability due to natural scenery - I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction is the obvious example. There are also some stretches of Interstate that are fun to just completely let loose on. For instance, I-10 through West Texas goes through a whole lot of nothing, but man is it a blast to go 100 for long periods of time. I'm also partial to I-68, which combines scenery with low traffic/ability to really fly.

My least favorite is probably the PA Turnpike, I-76.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:46 PM

814 posts, read 939,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Agreed 100%. In PA, 80 is the average speed of the traveling public on most interstates that aren't in a congested area.
I don't buy that 80 is the average in PA, do you have documentation for that stat? I like to go 80-85 and I find myself passing 95% of traffic.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:56 PM

325 posts, read 208,539 times
I-40 from the Mojave Desert all the way to NM. I-81 from PA all the way to ON where it ends at I-40. Great scenery

Old 04-23-2017, 01:31 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,750,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I hate boring interstates. Unfortunately the vast middle of this country is filled with boring.
Beauty is in where you choose to find it.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:42 AM

9,449 posts, read 18,372,524 times
Love

I-5 through between Eugene, Oregon and Redding, California going through the Siskiyou Mountains with awesome views of Mt. Shasta.

I-70 through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado / also I-25 in southern Colorado through the plains with the Spanish Peaks of the Rockies dominating the horizon.

I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff, AZ with a 6,000 foot elevation gain from low and how desert valley to the ponderosa pines and views of the 12,000 foot San Francisco peaks.

I-89 and I-91 through Vermont, scenic, uncrowded, just a nice enjoyable ride through the Green Mountains.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 PM

325 posts, read 208,539 times
I need to make a correction. I meant to say, "I-81 from PA all the way to TN where it ends at I-40". I meant Tennessee, not Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or